reFX Vanguard 2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vanguard

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:25 am The audio engines of JunoX and Vanguard were developed by me. ReFX licensed them.
If you are looking for the sound of JunoX or Vanguard I receommend that you check our Tone2 Icarus2. It can replace those plugins very well and includes also all the waveforms.
A preset converter would be nice

I love Vanguard. For its time, 20-ish years ago, it sounded amazing! There are things I still like about it. Except that awful reverb. ( Sorry, Markus... The algorithm is just old and too CPU-cheap. :hug:)

Since it came out, computers are multitudes faster. A single core on the M1 chip is faster than my whole MacBookb Pro. Heck, my new iPad Mini is like 2.5x faster than the MBP. Back then, programming a VST was more about using cheap algorithms and stupid processor tricks to squeeze every ounce of performances from weak CPUs. Now, you can download a dozen free VSTs that offer similar quality sound and features and just sip CPU.

The only thing that I can see that it has anymore that modern VSTs may lack is the simplicity of use. Everything is right there in front of my face. The reFX plugins were so quick, simple and fun to use. They just aren't necessarily the best sounding anymore.

Anyway, I will miss my old reFX plugins, but I have similar or better sounding plugins now.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

:lol:
I absolutely agree with the reverb. It was really ugly and I also hated it. :pray:
Funny fact is that this was the only part of the audio-engine that was coded by reFX/Michael. :hihi:

If there is demand I can code a synth that is patch-compatible with Vanguard.

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:02 pm If there is demand I can code a synth that is patch-compatible with Vanguard.
OK, I demand it. :D
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:02 pm If there is demand I can code a synth that is patch-compatible with Vanguard.
Will it be sound compatible too? :o

I never owned Vanguard, but, I'm a bit wondering what people are looking for here. A synth which sounds like it? A modern synth which can load the patches, but will sound quite different?

Definitely vapourware, no money in it for refx

Letting users make their own sounds? No way Pedro!

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:02 pm :lol:
I absolutely agree with the reverb. It was really ugly and I also hated it. :pray:
Funny fact is that this was the only part of the audio-engine that was coded by reFX/Michael. :hihi:

A preset converter would be bether, because than we can tune up these sounds in Icarus :)

demand here too :D :tu:
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Yes please Markus :hyper: :hail:
Simple and repetive are my middle names

yes please!!!

JonSolo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:27 am So they told that to you twice? (a year ago, and then in July)

What name is on the support ticket? This is interesting (cause I love Vanguard).
The guy's name was Adam.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cuNhSE ... sp=sharing

I would buy it in a second! I have over 200 patches I made in Vanguard I would love to be able to use again.

sacer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:37 pm A preset converter would be better, because than we can tune up these sounds in Icarus :)
+7 for this idea
Last edited by HunterKiller on Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

dj.anti.matter wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:15 pm

I would buy it in a second! I have over 200 patches I made in Vanguard I would love to be able to use again.
Definitely echo this, I have banks of custom Vanguard patches just waiting to be used again :)

Preset converter for Icarus would be awesome too...

I think a preset converter and some modifications on Icarus are bether than a new synth. I bet a lot of vanguard users who have lots of expansions would migrate to Icarus and can bring this sounds with this power synth into new dimensions. Btw the import of Juno presets would also be very cool.

Return to “Instruments”