Using Architect as a "normal" sequencer for hardware

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Played a bit with the Architect demo this weekend and it's fascinating in itself.

I'm a newbie to the whole music, synths and DAW stuff, but I'm coming from the VFX world and node-based software is something I'm used to.

So where I would like to start is basic stuff: to check if Architect is a suitable replacement for Cubase as a sequencer for my Yamaha MODX.

In basic terms, this would mean: setting up a basic routing template in which the MODX MIDI goes into 1 or more sequencers and is routed back to MODX for sound generation, recording multi-channel MIDI (up to 16 channels but most of the time up to 8).
Some examples:
https://youtu.be/ZPPJeU9Ayy4?t=620
https://youtu.be/IVmZf2M9cBM?t=456

https://yamahasynth.com/learn/modx-midi-record-on-daw

I did try a few things with the poly seqs but got stuck (my lack of experience + lack of docs + tons of options).

So my basic question is: is Architect suited for this kind of stuff that people would usually do in a typical DAW -- multitrack MIDI in, record and then process and spit it back to the hardware.

With the added bonus of: will it be able to record the hardware or it can only record VSTis?

Most of this, I believe Architect can do for you, and I reckon it'll be pretty straightforward. Unfortunately, your last request - recording the hardware - is not yet possible. Adding such a feature is probably trivial as it can already record from internal plug-ins: I will put this item on the todo list for a future revision.

So, Iet's try to get this going with your MODX. I don't have a MODX myself to try this out, but if we go through it step-by-step hopefully we can get it working. I can try to talk you through this on the forum, or I can do it via PM, or email if you'd prefer? Just let me know which you'd prefer
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:01 am Most of this, I believe Architect can do for you, and I reckon it'll be pretty straightforward. Unfortunately, your last request - recording the hardware - is not yet possible. Adding such a feature is probably trivial as it can already record from internal plug-ins: I will put this item on the todo list for a future revision.

So, Iet's try to get this going with your MODX. I don't have a MODX myself to try this out, but if we go through it step-by-step hopefully we can get it working. I can try to talk you through this on the forum, or I can do it via PM, or email if you'd prefer? Just let me know which you'd prefer
This is very generous and an incredible level of support.
Just bought a full Architect license based on this reply \m/
Which does mean I'll have to properly adopt it to my setup now :wink:

I suggest we do this on the forum, as I imagine it might be useful for others as well.

I'll get to my MODX setup later today and reply with some screenshots.

Re: recording hardware: I think this would be a great feature, as Architect seems incredibly useful to drive hardware synths.

Thanks!

Thanks, much appreciated!

So how far have you got with this? Do you have the basics down, i.e., connecting an internal Architect sequencer, such as [poly step sequencer] to a MIDI output port routed to your MODX? Or would you like me to step you through it?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:36 pmSo how far have you got with this? Do you have the basics down, i.e., connecting an internal Architect sequencer, such as [poly step sequencer] to a MIDI output port routed to your MODX? Or would you like me to step you through it?
Yes, that part I got. I could "draw" notes in a poly seq, hit play and have the MODX play the notes.
I also managed (somehow) to get the poly seq record what I played in the MODX (for a single part/channel).
But I couldn't switch it back to "play" mode so it plays back what I recorded.

The MODX is a multi-part synth (up to 16 parts) and each part sends/receives on its corresponding MIDI channel (it's described in the vids/links in my first post).

So for the next steps I'd like to:
  • be able to record more parts at once. I guess this means a separate poly seq for each channel? or can I record this in one "track" and then split that by channel?
  • be able to easily switch from record to playback
In a nutshell, the basic sequencing workflow via a DAW, for a multi-part instrument.
Record, check what I recorded, do some tweaks, append some more recorded notes, check again etc

The current lot of Architect step sequencers are all single channel - a more flexible traditional MIDI roll is coming in a future build, which will allow multiple channels and tracks per pattern, at the expense of losing a lot of modulation options. Until then your best options are:
- separate [poly step sequencer] per channel, so one corresponding to each MODX part. You can route using [get channel] and [MIDI switch 1 to N] modules. The [decrement] module is there because MIDI channels are numbered 1 to 16, but Architect's switch expects values to start from 0. One caveat here is that the sequencer's in the current public release only have step recording; I expect what you want is 'real-time' writing to patterns? If so, I have this feature in development, and am happy to let you have access to it if you're happy to wait a few days for me to clean the code up to a releasable state.
The other approach is:
- a Lua script that can accept all 16 channels through one MIDI inlet. Essentially, a MIDI groovebox in a script. I've built things like this in the past, so I'd be happy to build one for you if you give me an idea of your requirements.

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:23 pm The current lot of Architect step sequencers are all single channel - a more flexible traditional MIDI roll is coming in a future build, which will allow multiple channels and tracks per pattern, at the expense of losing a lot of modulation options.
Sounds great for more elaborated performances recordings (which people using this type of devices are usually doing).
colin@loomer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:23 pm - separate [poly step sequencer] per channel, so one corresponding to each MODX part. You can route using [get channel] and [MIDI switch 1 to N] modules. The [decrement] module is there because MIDI channels are numbered 1 to 16, but Architect's switch expects values to start from 0.
[get channel] would output [undefined] when nothing was happening (no key pressed) which in turn would make [decrement] and [switch] to error.
I attach the contraption that got rid of this ([undefined] conveniently became [0] when integer, which conveniently became [false] when boolean and conveniently threw itself away via a [branch]).
channel_split.png
I connected both the sequencers and the switch to MIDI output so I could hear what I was playing. Of course that was irrelevant since as you mentioned those are only doing step recording.
colin@loomer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:23 pmOne caveat here is that the sequencer's in the current public release only have step recording; I expect what you want is 'real-time' writing to patterns?
The answer is a loud YES, for two important reasons:
1. Not my case, as I said I'm a complete novice in all things music, but owners of hardware keyboards (especially this kind of flagships/workstations) are usually players; even I usually try to play stuff when recording, even if only for learning purposes;
2. A lot of hardware keyboards (MODX/Montage in particular) have very powerful arpeggiators and arpeggio libraries and people use those when recording.

Also, the MODX (and others) will also send a ton of CC and even some SysEx info, which encode the live tweaking of the control matrix (knobs, SuperKnob etc). Taking that out and tweaking it would be a big part of stuff to be done in Architect.
colin@loomer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:23 pm If so, I have this feature in development, and am happy to let you have access to it if you're happy to wait a few days for me to clean the code up to a releasable state.
I'd love to check that when it will be possible.
colin@loomer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:23 pmThe other approach is:
- a Lua script that can accept all 16 channels through one MIDI inlet. Essentially, a MIDI groovebox in a script. I've built things like this in the past, so I'd be happy to build one for you if you give me an idea of your requirements.
Sounds great for the future, when the whole usage of Architect will be more clear to me.

Speaking of which, I looked thru the docs and I'm slowly realizing this can be a great tool for users of flagship synths and workstations, not only in the studio but also live (which doesn't even require the recording part that's missing now).
The Play interface seems great for using live for some parts of the MODX (backing).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

digitallysane wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:25 pm [get channel] would output [undefined] when nothing was happening (no key pressed) which in turn would make [decrement] and [switch] to error.
I attach the contraption that got rid of this ([undefined] conveniently became [0] when integer, which conveniently became [false] when boolean and conveniently threw itself away via a [branch]).
Thanks: that is a nice clean way of handling that situation. I've simplified it to this - now any MIDI events that have no channels will come through the left hand (0) outlet, whilst events for MIDI channels 1 - 16 will come out of their corresponding outlets. It relies on the fact that a [scalar integer] cast will pass though channels unaltered, but coerce an `undefined` to 0.

colin@loomer wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:52 amI've simplified it to this - now any MIDI events that have no channels will come through the left hand (0) outlet, whilst events for MIDI channels 1 - 16 will come out of their corresponding outlets. It relies on the fact that a [scalar integer] cast will pass though channels unaltered, but coerce an `undefined` to 0.
This makes sense, very elegant.

Interesting that the error is not shown when the MIDI comes from a MIDI controller (Studiologic SL), only when it comes from the MODX.
MIDI error.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I would wager that MODX is sending an initial MIDI message that the SL isn't, and this message is channel-less. Perhaps it's a Sysex of some sort? The usual way of tracing this stuff is a [MIDI to tuple] connected to a [print].

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:23 pmI expect what you want is 'real-time' writing to patterns? If so, I have this feature in development, and am happy to let you have access to it if you're happy to wait a few days for me to clean the code up to a releasable state.
Any news on this? I know how I want to spend my holiday... 8)

digitallysane wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 am Any news on this? I know how I want to spend my holiday... 8)
Not yet: but I'll prioritise it to make sure I don't ruin your holidays!

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:13 am
digitallysane wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 am Any news on this? I know how I want to spend my holiday... 8)
Not yet: but I'll prioritise it to make sure I don't ruin your holidays!
No worries, there's lots to explore in Architect anyway. :tu:
I was asking just because I got the impression from your previous reply that it's not that far.

Return to “Loomer”