Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20908 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:57 am

.jon wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:49 am
Just deactivate the track or device in your DAW to shut down the cpu when not in use, easy.
Even easier is to not use a plugin that in practice makes RePro seem like FM8 :hihi:

User avatar
foosnark
KVRAF
6030 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:07 am

pdxindy wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:52 am
KMKMKM wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:31 am
One of the good aspect of that system is that you can drone with the oscillator by just turning the level knob and listen to the oscillators/voices at once, like on an hardware system... I like it actually, it's one of the rare vst I own that function like that.
I've got hardware modular for that... and it doesn't crush the CPU.
I've got hardware modular too, and I still prefer it when a software synth can drone. I'm not that much into Kaivo, but Aalto, Easel V, and Fundamental are all good for this. Or constructed stuff in Grid or VCV.

If it can't, I often wind up rigging up a stupid workaround to force the gate to be held open (in Bitwig, assign a button to a DC offset and put a Replacer device after it, since that seems to be more reliable than Note Latch). That way I can play a post-VCA or filter using a fader, pressure plate, etc.

.jon
KVRAF
5769 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:38 am

pdxindy wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:57 am
.jon wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:49 am
Just deactivate the track or device in your DAW to shut down the cpu when not in use, easy.
Even easier is to not use a plugin that in practice makes RePro seem like FM8 :hihi:
Well I do get your point especially about Kaivo, but Aalto is very special for me, I have issues with "connecting" with plugins and treating them as instruments like my hardware... Aalto has something that elevates it from the bunch. It has quirks and more than a few limitations, but I always get original and fantastic sounds out of it. I'm willing to work around any issues for this :)

I'm getting a new machine with way more CPU power in January (M1 Pro) and really looking forward to getting Kaivo as well!

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20908 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:02 am

.jon wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:38 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:57 am
.jon wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:49 am
Just deactivate the track or device in your DAW to shut down the cpu when not in use, easy.
Even easier is to not use a plugin that in practice makes RePro seem like FM8 :hihi:
Well I do get your point especially about Kaivo, but Aalto is very special for me, I have issues with "connecting" with plugins and treating them as instruments like my hardware... Aalto has something that elevates it from the bunch. It has quirks and more than a few limitations, but I always get original and fantastic sounds out of it. I'm willing to work around any issues for this :)

I'm getting a new machine with way more CPU power in January (M1 Pro) and really looking forward to getting Kaivo as well!
Are Aalto and Kaivo Apple Silicon native?

I'm now using the M1-Pro (16" MBP) and it is impressive.

.jon
KVRAF
5769 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:20 am

Not yet native, but Madrona Labs report a significant improvement in performance anyway. He is a Mac user so M1 native versions are just a matter of time.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20908 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:21 pm

thanks!

kvotchin
KVRian
731 posts since 9 Aug, 2018

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:12 pm

Really not in the market for more instruments these days, as a rule (been thinning the herd recently, in fact).

But okay, this has my attention. Very likely an insta-buy. :tu:

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20908 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:41 pm

I'll buy it for sure... I like to support small developers that make unique and high quality plugins.

crawlingwind
KVRist
270 posts since 23 Apr, 2012

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:02 am

It was announced a long time ago, and it’s great to see it near completion. I passed on a Black Friday deal so I could buy this when it drops.

User avatar
Sound Author
KVRian
725 posts since 8 Mar, 2008 from Crestview, Florida

Post Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:59 pm

On pins and needles waiting for Sumu to drop ever since it was teased in the newsletter.

Neon Breath
KVRAF
4040 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:06 pm

Sumu is teased and talked about 'getting out real soon' since 2017 :lol:

This time is no different.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

User avatar
masterhiggins
KVRAF
2696 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from People's Republic of Minnesota

Post Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:50 pm

Neon Breath wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:06 pm
Sumu is teased and talked about 'getting out real soon' since 2017 :lol:

This time is no different.
Yup. He’ll release it right after cytomic releases The Glue HD and The Scream

User avatar
Dirtgrain
KVRAF
2481 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:43 pm

Neon Breath wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:06 pm
Sumu is teased and talked about 'getting out real soon' since 2017 :lol:

This time is no different.
That's odd because I have created no synths in that time.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is a [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin

kvotchin
KVRian
731 posts since 9 Aug, 2018

Post Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:29 am

Neon Breath wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:06 pm
Sumu is teased and talked about 'getting out real soon' since 2017 :lol:

This time is no different.
Could be at least partly down to the weirdness of these past two (and counting..) years.

Anyway, hopefully it will be soon! :hyper:

Return to “Instruments”