Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

.jon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:49 am Just deactivate the track or device in your DAW to shut down the cpu when not in use, easy.
Even easier is to not use a plugin that in practice makes RePro seem like FM8 :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:52 pm
KMKMKM wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:31 am One of the good aspect of that system is that you can drone with the oscillator by just turning the level knob and listen to the oscillators/voices at once, like on an hardware system... I like it actually, it's one of the rare vst I own that function like that.
I've got hardware modular for that... and it doesn't crush the CPU.
I've got hardware modular too, and I still prefer it when a software synth can drone. I'm not that much into Kaivo, but Aalto, Easel V, and Fundamental are all good for this. Or constructed stuff in Grid or VCV.

If it can't, I often wind up rigging up a stupid workaround to force the gate to be held open (in Bitwig, assign a button to a DC offset and put a Replacer device after it, since that seems to be more reliable than Note Latch). That way I can play a post-VCA or filter using a fader, pressure plate, etc.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:57 pm
.jon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:49 am Just deactivate the track or device in your DAW to shut down the cpu when not in use, easy.
Even easier is to not use a plugin that in practice makes RePro seem like FM8 :hihi:
Well I do get your point especially about Kaivo, but Aalto is very special for me, I have issues with "connecting" with plugins and treating them as instruments like my hardware... Aalto has something that elevates it from the bunch. It has quirks and more than a few limitations, but I always get original and fantastic sounds out of it. I'm willing to work around any issues for this :)

I'm getting a new machine with way more CPU power in January (M1 Pro) and really looking forward to getting Kaivo as well!

.jon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:38 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:57 pm
Well I do get your point especially about Kaivo, but Aalto is very special for me, I have issues with "connecting" with plugins and treating them as instruments like my hardware... Aalto has something that elevates it from the bunch. It has quirks and more than a few limitations, but I always get original and fantastic sounds out of it. I'm willing to work around any issues for this :)

I'm getting a new machine with way more CPU power in January (M1 Pro) and really looking forward to getting Kaivo as well!
Are Aalto and Kaivo Apple Silicon native?

I'm now using the M1-Pro (16" MBP) and it is impressive.

Not yet native, but Madrona Labs report a significant improvement in performance anyway. He is a Mac user so M1 native versions are just a matter of time.

thanks!

Really not in the market for more instruments these days, as a rule (been thinning the herd recently, in fact).

But okay, this has my attention. Very likely an insta-buy. :tu:

I'll buy it for sure... I like to support small developers that make unique and high quality plugins.

It was announced a long time ago, and it’s great to see it near completion. I passed on a Black Friday deal so I could buy this when it drops.

On pins and needles waiting for Sumu to drop ever since it was teased in the newsletter.

Sumu is teased and talked about 'getting out real soon' since 2017 :lol:

This time is no different.

Neon Breath wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:06 pm Sumu is teased and talked about 'getting out real soon' since 2017 :lol:

Yup. He’ll release it right after cytomic releases The Glue HD and The Scream

Neon Breath wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:06 pm Sumu is teased and talked about 'getting out real soon' since 2017 :lol:

That's odd because I have created no synths in that time.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Could be at least partly down to the weirdness of these past two (and counting..) years.

Anyway, hopefully it will be soon! :hyper:

75FA98F2-0275-46AA-BC45-06B2ECA360EB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”