Omnisphere 2 slow interface

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 2

I recently reinstalled Ominsphere on a new computer from the download installers and updated to latest versions. Put my third party libraries back as well. Everything is much faster than I remember on my last system. Preset switching is snappy. No more lagging when the wavetables are loaded. So I'll be curious to see if this changes over time.

For me it hasnt changed ever, always been fast and snappy.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:47 pm For me it hasnt changed ever, always been fast and snappy.
When did you first acquire Omnisphere? I've upgraded since V1, maybe that had something to do with it. I recently downloaded everything fresh.

I feel like the reports on the slow interface started right around the time they added the Hardware Integration. They pushed out a fix that fixed it for most people. It's been running fine for me. I think I ran into the initial problem and it was especially noticeable with multis, but got cleared up after an update. I have only had version 2 and updated it several times over the years on my laptop. I installed it on a new computer at the beginning of this year and it has been running fine. I run Omnisphere standalone, inside of Ableton Live and inside of PlugInGuru's Unify.

iPlogger wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:21 pm I feel like the reports on the slow interface started right around the time they added the Hardware Integration.
90% sure it considerably predated HW integration in 2.6 - I think around 2.4 it was being much discussed.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:52 pm
legendCNCD wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:47 pm For me it hasnt changed ever, always been fast and snappy.
When did you first acquire Omnisphere? I've upgraded since V1, maybe that had something to do with it. I recently downloaded everything fresh.
When 2.0 was released. I've just updated/upgraded it since.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I too have never had the anything but fast and snappy on either mac or windows, and I started from Atmosphere days.
rsp
sound sculptist

pluton wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:24 am Does omnisphere need extra fast video card or something?
I’m using onboard graphics,
Running latest updates.

But omnisphere is the only plugin that has laggy interface,
it takes about 3-4 seconds to switch between parts,
and even longer when selecting categories in the browser.
All the Spectrasonics gear I have is a bit sluggish from loading up into the host to swapping sound sources. The time it takes is still far less than "3-4" seconds. More like 1 second. Rmx is slower on my system but still under 2 seconds for pretty much anything.

I have a 5 year old 30 dollar Nvidia 2GB fanless card in my system. I use both plugins at their default size which is the only graphical variable I can think of unless you are running the library from an old mechanical drive or something else that would be a data bottleneck.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

- i9900k @4.8Ghz OC on all cores stable
- 64GB - 3600 DDR4 - Running an XMP profile
- RTX 3080
- NVME 2TB (Boot & Omnisphere)
- SSDs x 4 (Samsung Evo's, also tried with Omnisphere)
- ALL DRIVES ARE INTERNAL
- Scarlet 6i6
- Lags and DAW not responsive lock ups on FLStudio, Studio One 5 & BitWig

Result:
Omni runs like shait, I had help from a nice guy on support to try and resolve the issue, we were screen sharing for about 2 hours, but he was just clutching at straws (AV, Settings etc).

- DAW goes unresponsive on preset bank switching
- DAW goes unresponsive on preset selection and then trying to change some settings
- DAW goes unresponsive on preset selection and then dragging the preset scroll bar
- Presets often re-select and jump around if you click to fast
- Omni looks to be single threaded, 1 core gets maxed out sometimes, it most certainly doesn't use jack shait of what my computer is capable of
- Omni bank import - locks up the daw and itself, give it 3 to 10 minutes and it will have imported it (speed is faster on same drive nvme and direct run of program not in daw but still very poor, tested on same drive (nvme) and other internal SSDs (internal))

If your machine runs it ok, then your lucky... For the rest... Be warned buy it and you got 50:50 chance of using the slowest vst created by man, it's infuriating...

And if you do have those issues and have lots of banks to import, well your going to have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Support have not come back with solution in a few months now and I don't expect there will be one, the core of the synth needs re-writing. Not to mention it's file system and db structure needs to be sanitised greatly (especially from a programmers perspective, not sure what the logic was behind that)...

But if you don't mind click, wait, wait, not responding, lag spike, play preset, no I think I will try another one, and then going through that again and again and again, hmm why did preset browser just jump to the top or back a page or 3? then go for it...

It also does it on various other things like init patch, preset browser 1st click drop down instantly disappears (hold left click down and it works), after 1st left click you can use it as normal... the list goes on...

Sorry about your issue, but I am pretty sure the vast majority of Omnisphere users dont' experience it.
I have been hearing about it for years and never had it on my mac and pc.
They haven't been able to reproduce it which is why there is no fix....
I know it sucks, but I don't think it is as common as you think it is....
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:26 pm Sorry about your issue, but I am pretty sure the vast majority of Omnisphere users dont' experience it.
I have been hearing about it for years and never had it on my mac and pc.
They haven't been able to reproduce it which is why there is no fix....
I know it sucks, but I don't think it is as common as you think it is....
rsp
I've found easy +20 websites with others with the same issue, dating way back in my hunt for a fix, no joy sadly...

The support guy had an option to put omni in development mode, however we didn't try that...
I think it's a lot of money to risk for a fairly good chance that the software will be such a terrible user experience... Who knows maybe on my next pc build in 3 to 4 years it will work ok, if I've not sold it by then...
Last edited by MegaPixel on Wed May 04, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what is strange a few people who have had it, it follows them onto new computers.. really strange.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:36 pm what is strange a few people who have had it, it follows them onto new computers.. really strange.
rsp
lol, must be that human digital virus I contracted back when I was a kid loading up a dodgy Octamed track from Aminet :dog:

But that is interesting, could be other tools installed messing with it I guess (a common piece of software that is well used but not by all)... Next re-format I will install a daw and omni 1st and nothing else, then after each install I will give it a test run to see what screws it up... But for now, it's shelved...

I had troubles with slow loading Omnisphere patches - turned out to be Acronis True Image backup software that had an "Active Protection" component to defend against ransomware. After adding the disk location for the STEAM folder to the program's "exclusion" list the problem disappeared.

Mike

AMD 5900X 64gb RAM, RX 580 8gb GFX , 2TB NVme with the bulk of Omnisphere on a internal 1TB SSD

Works perfectly here.

Which one are you loading the VST3 or VST2 version ?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Return to “Instruments”