Korg Wavestate and Opsix for Win/Mac

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are either of these worth getting if you already have a good complement of the usual suspects?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Of course only you can determine that. Of course try the demos.
Op six did nothing for me, but I haven't stopped playing wavestate since I bought it a few weeks ago. That and OB-E have been my best buys for probably the last 6 months.
Ymmv
Rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:22 am Of course only you can determine that. Of course try the demos.
Op six did nothing for me, but I haven't stopped playing wavestate since I bought it a few weeks ago. That and OB-E have been my best buys for probably the last 6 months.
Ymmv
Rsp
I'm the other way round, love OPSix and have made lots of patches for it, Wavestate can sound nice but I find it very complicated to get my head round and most of the included sounds I don't particularly like (unlike Wavestation which can be lovely)

App-sound.com imho has more patches that gel with me than the factory bank.
Rsp
sound sculptist

Examigan wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:14 pm I didn't check every setting, but I was able to use automation for filter cutoff, operator width and feedback, and changing effect settings. Seems OK to me. Also, it doesn't seem slow here, but I am using a desktop not a tablet. CPU is high, but I've heard they are looking into that.
In automation settings there are no settings for the arpeggiator and stepper parameters, such as selection of the type of filter and the waveform of the oscillators, are displayed as numbers.
I will wait for what to fix in the future version ...

bnz wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:18 pm There is an opsix update 1.0.1 available. Unfortunately, it does not fix my slugishness issues. At least I think it doesn't behave a lot different, the waveform visualization still hangs a lot.
Well, at least Korg has got it right with with Apple M1 :clap:
None of the issues mentioned here are present on my AS Mac mini :)

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:52 am
zvenx wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:22 am Of course only you can determine that. Of course try the demos.
Ymmv
Rsp
I'm the other way round, love OPSix and have made lots of patches for it, Wavestate can sound nice but I find it very complicated to get my head round and most of the included sounds I don't particularly like (unlike Wavestation which can be lovely)
The section at 17:39 in John's video helped me figure it out:

https://youtu.be/eOmENwCWhOw?t=1062
Last edited by Examigan on Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:12 am Are either of these worth getting if you already have a good complement of the usual suspects?
i think in term of sound caractere opsix is nothing special, but maybe you will enjoy the synthesis possbilities and workflow.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:12 am Are either of these worth getting if you already have a good complement of the usual suspects?
Opsix possibly not, if you have other FM plugins. Though IMO it does some quite unique stuff that other FM plugins don't. But generally I don't think most people would want multiple FM options in their folder. In terms of range sounds it can make I think it one of the best, in terms of features others definitely compete ( F'em for example).

Wavestate - apart from Wusikstation I can't think of anything out there similar, so having the usual VA or sampled base synths doesn't change it's desirability. Def not everyone's taste as it excels at cinematic, slow evolving, ambient noodling and downright weird but it can also do the usual sounds. You wouldn't buy it for the usual sounds though (it does that well). Personally I use it for big lush cinematic sounds, choral evolving pads, often for evolving strings and combinations of strings that morph into voices, and even weird drum-type rhythms that are a pita to get with drum plugins.

You could have every major plugin synth and you'd likely find Wavestate unique. Not so much with Opsix. You hear Wavestation all over films, and I'd be surprised if we don't hear Wavestate all over films for the next 30 yrs.

Examigan wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:38 am
aMUSEd wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:52 am
Ymmv
Rsp
The section at 17:39 in John's video helped me figure it out:

https://youtu.be/eOmENwCWhOw?t=1062
Thanks. I’m also trying to figure out how to break the interface down into a realistic structure to make a Bitwig Device panel for (ie to enable mapping to a hardware controller). For me it’s usually when I start to get some hands on real-time control that things start to make better sense, and also I find the whole process of breaking a complex plugin down into chunks (banks of 8 params per page) helps me understand how it all fits together

Installed latest update today but I noticed in the installer there was an option to install an additional 2.4 GB of samples and presets but it was greyed out so I couldn't select it. I presume that was because it was an update but I don't remember seeing that the first time I installed it so how can I check if those samples and presets are in fact there?

I suspect this is to fix the issue before where it would wipe out everything including your user presets and reinstall the factory banks...
I suspect what this does is first check and say oh right you already have the factor bank no need to rewrite them to the hard drive.

That's my guess anyway.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:07 pm I suspect this is to fix the issue before where it would wipe out everything including your user presets and reinstall the factory banks...
I suspect what this does is first check and say oh right you already have the factor bank no need to rewrite them to the hard drive.
As we discussed earlier, it always did that check, and grayed out the factory content if it was already there. You had a special case, in which you were using a custom power-user feature, hard links, to relocate the database from its normal location; that messed things up a bit. :-) Fortunately, we've just released a new version that will let you locate the database anywhere; more on that in a bit.
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

Hi all - we've just released wavestate native version 1.0.3, available via Korg Software Pass. Version 1.0.3 includes a number of improvements, both large and small:

* The wavestate native data can now be installed anywhere on any disk, and relocated as desired. Factory data has been removed from the main installer, and is now a separate download. A new startup screen allows the user to locate or download the data if it's missing or has been moved.
* Audio processes are now single-threaded. CPU usage is lower when idle, and Apple Silicon CPUs will no longer show CPU spikes.
* Previously, samples which had a specific set of characteristics might have had click artifacts. This has now been fixed.
* Previously, playing many notes (e.g. playing piano with the sustain pedal) could cause the system to try to play more than 64 voices–but voices above 64 would be silent. This has now been fixed.
* Effects edit knobs now update properly when switching between Layers which use the same effects algorithms.
* The Step Seq Lane display for the modulation footer now includes Step parameters, Zoom 16/32/64 and Note Advance. Also, selections in the footer no longer affect the Inspector on the Wave Seq page.
* Shift-click to select range now works correctly for the Step Seq Lane in the modulation footer.
* Widths of Wave Seq Step Type and LFO Type combo-boxes are now correct.
* When switching from Master lane to Timing lane, Duration label and Start Step labels no longer overlap.
* Master Lane Duration knob is no longer grayed out after changing Lanes if tempo mode differs.
* The Start/End Step knobs now work properly after adding Steps in a Lane.
* When appropriate, scrollbars now appear for Categories in the Sound Browser and Librarian. 
* Selecting multiple items in the Librarian and then changing the Category no longer renames the items with numbers.
* When running as a plug-in, alert windows will no longer show the icon of the host DAW.
* On Windows, the wavestate native installer now includes the required VCRuntime DLL, in case it was not already installed. If the Windows system did not have this DLL installed already, errors would be displayed and wavestate native could not run.
* If the OS is set to use Japanese, Open Online Manual now links to the Japanese version of the document.
* Updated English manual.
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

You guys have just been sitting in the California sun doing nothing huh?

Rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”