Cherry Audio Releases MINIVERSE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Miniverse

beely wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:41 pm
[

(And yes, "Minimoog" was another Letraset typo - they couldn't spell back then - it was supposed to be "Monomoog", due to the number of notes it could play, and the lack of stereo outputs. But they'd used all the "o"s in the "Moog" bit...)
actually, it was going to be "midimoog" but then they remembered, no one had invented midi yet. so went with mini as everybody loved the mini cooper.

true story.

Now? Now? Too soon? How about now?

Doesn't sound anything like it. Not even close.

:D

Actually sounded pretty great, and I will get it eventually.

vurt wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:38 pm actually, it was going to be "midimoog" but then they remembered, no one had invented midi yet. so went with mini as everybody loved the mini cooper.

true story.
It's true that there no midi yet when the Minimoog was first released of course, but later on, there was a Midimoog by Studio Electronics, which I've used in the past.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:21 am
vurt wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:38 pm actually, it was going to be "midimoog" but then they remembered, no one had invented midi yet. so went with mini as everybody loved the mini cooper.

true story.
It's true that there no midi yet when the Minimoog was first released of course, but later on, there was a Midimoog by Studio Electronics, which I've used in the past.
They’re now making a new version of this again.

https://www.studioelectronics.com/produ ... 30/#crumbs

Love Studio Electronics. I’ve been using their ATC since 2005 or so.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Aloysius wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:32 pm I had a Juno-106 in the '80s and the DCO-106 is the best emulation of that synth thus far imo. Certainly better than the Roland offering.
lol, no, not even close. Funny how all the other emulations sound like each other, and DCO-106 is the only one that sounds thin and weak. Worst 106 emulation by far.
Stormchild

I learned the hardway that Arashi really knows his Roland stuff.
Disagree/Agree with him at your own peril :).

Rsp
sound sculptist

Well I did say in my opinion. :) I bought the Cherry Audio one but didn't buy the Roland. The TAL one is not meant to be a 106.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:54 pm
vertibration wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:21 pm I would like to see Cherry make some improvements, and bring in some new talent for their UI.
Exactly. I'd give their GUI quality a C- grade at best and all their synths are starting to have a bit of a generic sound quality to them.

Still nice instruments especially for the price but like you said there is some room for improvement.
Agreed, they need to revamp the looks. If you sell it cheap, and it looks cheap, its just going to sound cheap in a weird placebo effect kind of way if that makes sense. I kinda feel like some users will grow tired of looking at the UI, and forego the sound even if it isnt that bad sounding.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:21 am

true story.
well of course, they weren't gonna give up on the name! they just had to force the technology to be produced.

I have not tried this synth yet, as I already have more than handful of Minimoog plugins from before, so I'm not going to comment on the sound, but what is so bad about the GUI?

It looks like a Minimoog to me, and on all of the other Cherry synths that I have, the GUI can be re-sized to be very large, while still being crisp and sharp.

I'm just curious to know what the people who don't like the GUI think that a Minimoog plugin should look like?

zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:52 pm They’re now making a new version of this again.

https://www.studioelectronics.com/produ ... 30/#crumbs

Love Studio Electronics. I’ve been using their ATC since 2005 or so.
I didn't know that, I'm not much of a hardware user anymore. It's cool that they're still making them.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:25 pm I have not tried this synth yet, as I already have more than handful of Minimoog plugins from before, so I'm not going to comment on the sound, but what is so bad about the GUI?

It looks like a Minimoog to me, and on all of the other Cherry synths that I have, the GUI can be re-sized to be very large, while still being crisp and sharp.

I'm just curious to know what the people who don't like the GUI think that a Minimoog plugin should look like?
Agreed. While I'm not a customer, it's not because the GUI isn't over the top in terms of 3D beauty.

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:25 pm
That's just the problem, it's not crisp and sharp. It's not about whether it looks like a MiniMoog or not but the quality of the graphics.

Take for example the knobs. Compare the CA version:

CA Knob.png

To The Legend's knob:

Legend Knob.png
Notice the difference in clarity. It like comparing standard definition TV to Hi Def. That's what I mean by quality. You can see it much better if you observe the two synths side by side.

CA added the "Focus" feature for such a simple synth which tells even they know it's a fuzzy GUI.

If you ever get around to trying the CA plugin check out the giant hunk of wood right in the middle of the GUI. It may be Moog like but it's utterly useless.

Anyway I just expressed my opinion that the GUI quality is C- at best. I realize it's a $39 plugin.....and it looks like a $39 plugin.

The GUI wouldn't keep me from buying it if I was looking for yet another MiniMoog but it certainly doesn't inspire me to buy it due to the 2005-ish quality GUI. *In my opinion*.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Synth Master Jedi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:25 pm I have not tried this synth yet, as I already have more than handful of Minimoog plugins from before, so I'm not going to comment on the sound, but what is so bad about the GUI?

I think the issue is other companies really spend time on quality graphics, and visual design. Arturia, UAD and so on.....Smaller companies may not have talent, or the finances to have really good UI designers.

Let me also say, its not hate. Its quality criticism. I want Cherry to win, and make new customers. My biggest advice to them as a customer is to overhaul their UI, and hire some better visual design talent. Make the plugins look really good, contract someone like Lance Thackery as an example

Return to “Instruments”