Flower Child Filter and Analog Distortion public beta

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yellowmix wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:09 pm
bmanic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:46 pm Mind you, this wouldn't be easy to pull off. Splitting audio smoothly into separate streams is not simple at all. Also, how would it be done with chords where MIDI notes are slightly out of sync? Probably the plugin needs to have built in input quantize and that way have a better chance of splitting the stream in a useful manner.

If somebody would figure this out, it'd allow us users to put this filter effect on any of our favorite synthesizers and still have it work sort of polyphonically, meaning each midi note would have it's own filter envelope being triggered and released upon note-off messages.
The technology you're discussing is called audio source separation. It's nowhere near the level of being able to do this in real time, nevermind modelling multiple analog filters on top. You can see the current best in Celemony Melodyne's ability to separate individual notes, as well as Zynaptiq Pitchmap and Hit n Mix RipX (or whatever they're calling it these days). If you want to give it a spin you should look into those, but the results probably won't be what you desire.
No. That's not it. I'm not talking about complex stuff like that. I'm simply talking about basic audio mixing.

Example:

1) Have a basic VSTi that provides a saw wave. Both VSTi and the VST FX filter plugin receives the same MIDI information.

2) Press MIDI note 1 -> saw goes into filter VST FX plugin

3) Press MIDI note 2 -> filter VST FX plugin does a super quick crossfade while sending first audio that came through to "audio stream 1" and the newly generated saw wave from the VSTi to "audio stream 2"

4) Let go of the first note that you pressed -> saw stops playing and decays out with the VSTi release envelope -> VST FX filter also now goes into it's release stage on any envelope or other modulation sources.

5) .. the 2nd note is still in it's earlier phases of modulation as the note is still held in.

.. etc. This does require a tiny bit of look-a-head for the FX plugin to do the splitting and cross-fading into new audio streams possible without clicks but it should be possible to create.

But like I said earlier, it can't of course deal with chords. However that may still end up like a really interesting effect. Especially if the VST FX filter has a built in input quantize, that helps you separate each chord newly played into a new audio stream. This way you could have polyphonic everything even with chords (where each chord is their own "voice"). Naturally you can't separate the actual notes in each chord but at least you could separate the chords themselves.
yellowmix wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:09 pm Much better off splitting your chords into individual notes and running multiple passes.
That would be an offline process. What I'm talking about is almost real-time. It would also open up the door to other much more creative effects in a polyphonic manner. Imagine being able to add different delays, phasers, flangers, granular, bit or samplerate reduction stuff, per incoming MIDI note, for each of your synth's voices.

It's territory that hasn't ever been explored before. Heck, if I get any spare time this summer I may take a crack at this. Should be possible to setup in something like Reaktor.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:48 pm 3) Press MIDI note 2 -> filter VST FX plugin does a super quick crossfade while sending first audio that came through to "audio stream 1" and the newly generated saw wave from the VSTi to "audio stream 2"

4) Let go of the first note that you pressed -> saw stops playing and decays out with the VSTi release envelope -> VST FX filter also now goes into it's release stage on any envelope or other modulation sources.

5) .. the 2nd note is still in it's earlier phases of modulation as the note is still held in.

.. etc. This does require a tiny bit of look-a-head for the FX plugin to do the splitting and cross-fading into new audio streams possible without clicks but it should be possible to create.

But like I said earlier, it can't of course deal with chords.
Thanks for the example. If I'm understanding it correctly, you think this is completely monophonic. The trouble arises at the MIDI note release stage, which doesn't necessarily end the audio. The second note already started, so now there are two notes playing simultaneously. This is inherently polyphonic.

Sure, you can fade out the first parallel split, but you're still going to hear the second note, especially as the first note decays. Have you actually tried this in an offline process as a proof of concept? Are you satisfied by it?

I haven't done any real work yet no, but I have long time ago set it up in Reaper using multiple channels and a VSTi plugin + FabFilter Volcano filter plugin as a proof of concept, then cycling through each channel with every new MIDI note-on message. Just like 'complete voices' cycle in an analogue synth.
yellowmix wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:45 am Sure, you can fade out the first parallel split, but you're still going to hear the second note, especially as the first note decays. Have you actually tried this in an offline process as a proof of concept? Are you satisfied by it?
This is why the actual audio stream needs to split within the plugin. This would allow each 'voice' to be treated completely independently. Basically the idea is exactly like any basic polyphonic analogue synth, where each 'voice' has it's own VCO, VCF and VCA. To have multiple voices you need multiple sets of the VCO,VCF and VCA parts, each being 'cycled through'. This is basically the "audio split" stream. Each MIDI Note-on message simply triggers the next audio stream, while letting the previous stream do it's thing (and that one reacting to note-off message and starting it's release cycle).

As you may imagine, this would only work for individual notes. If you play a chord, all notes at the exact same time, that chord becomes '1 voice stream'. The next chord would become the next 'voice stream'.

.. still, this could lead to cool effects and possibilities. :)

I'm trying to bring into existence what should have been. That is, huge analog-style synth sounds in the digital realm that compete with those new fangled dubstepper growls and push the idea of subtractive synthesis to an extreme. It looks like the plan is to have up to 3 independent stereo filters per voice for the purpose of layering

Here's what that could sound like, this demo wasn't easy to make as I'm having to use prototypes with incomplete features and problematic CPU usage (real-time code and such)... :scared:

layering filters (mp3)

The concept for Hydrus is turning out to be the best synth for cinematic sounds. I have come up with an LFO system that doubles as a "complex signal generator" so you can get rhythmic and polyrhythmic modulations quickly, which is required for screaming filter leads and cinematic sequencing.

Another thing I noticed in some analog synth demos is an extremely chirpy resonance, and I'm pretty sure that has to do with the input cross-modulating the filter cutoff intentionally or unintentionally, so I am creating a "bleed" feature that is going to sound quite nice.

Actually just listen to the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWAxGUG_jaY

Pretty sure that in that Andromeda demo, the filter cutoff is being modulated by a fast LFO (and of course the envelope) which creates the wobbly chirp.

bmanic wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:49 pm Pretty sure that in that Andromeda demo, the filter cutoff is being modulated by a fast LFO (and of course the envelope) which creates the wobbly chirp.
I think the chirp pattern is harmonically linked to the input therefore indicating the input is the modulation source. Another clue is that the other notes/chords seem to have a different amount of modulation and frequency.

You really gonna make me do another audio demo?

chirping the filter (mp3)

I'm feeling too lazy to setup an LFO to compare, but some clever usage [reducing amount of bleed where it gets overmodulated and ugly] of what I'm calling "bleed" sounds quite nice. I'll have to try an LFO at some point, or someone else could make an audio demo? :D

Hmm.. I don't remember the Andromeda sounding like that with resonance up. Though it is many years since I played one. I thought it was pretty straight forward and "vanilla" sounding when having high resonance on a simple square or something.

This kind of wobbly chirping is a common type of sound and it's most usually achieved with LFO modulation of the filter cutoff. Just a tiny bit of modulation amount is enough to get it going like that.

ehh yeah could be LFO, that would be the more practical explanation if the filter isn't that naturally chirpy. I discovered something: whether the modulation source is a ramp or a saw (inverted or not), both sound really nice. So... now bleed knob will have to be bipolar. :wink:

P.S. If you were wondering why not just have modulation sources available to modulate the filter cutoff with the input: I want to control the amount of bleed based on a few factors under the hood so it remains sounding good in all situations. Edit: Sending modulation from input to cutoff should be allowed as well.

demoing the reverb and the new pluck envelope I just programmed from scratch which is far more flexible, attacks can be much sharper, can sustain longer, etc. Right now the problem is that with one setting, low notes might sound good but high notes don't and vice versa. Somehow I need to adjust the parameters internally so that one setting works across the keyboard.

Quest for the perfect pluck continues.
reverb and pluck envelope demo (mp3)

Two possible pluck settings:
Reaper_vcRdNin3O7.png

edit: I just realized that this audio demo doesn't actually demonstrate the envelope very well; it is a lot more apparent why this envelope has an advantage over standard ADSR only if you can hear longer notes. I'm planning on another musical demo with chords and a musical structure for the pluck envelope to demonstrate it a lot better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Architeuthis on Wed May 18, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+1 for randomly finding this and being blown away. Wow.

day 2 of coding an actual plugin (haven't done this in years, it's about damn time), implementing base objects.

Code_XMIOVbVPzV.png

Edit: P.S. if you're wondering why FlowerChild Filter seems to be abandoned, it is because the programmers who helped me make the plugin are kinda not available, there's still some bugs and crashes that I don't know how to fix. So, it's kinda abandoned for now. However, I am now learning to stand on my own and not need outside programmers.

I'll remake Flower Child Filter eventually.

With that said, I think it's time to start a new thread for this synth. Join me: viewtopic.php?p=8433727#p8433727
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I mean its none of my business but your filter sounds really promising and people would probably pay for a decent filter (nex to the drop). I'd recommend trying to finish it and also maybe provide a less busy UI. At least I would prefer that. Interested to see what happens next! (because the one you start from scratch, the other one seems 90% there).

I'm gaining an ability to spit out VSTs with not much effort. Would you care to have an interim / provisional GUI-less / free VSTs that feature a few of my filters? so at least you have something.

What features would you want (which are practical for GUI-less)?

First and foremost I make plugins I need for my own music. This would be useful to me to have a few VST plugins/filters that I can officially support... so then it's not abandonware or never updated or something, so you can use it in your projects and know that you can get support for it if you need.

P.S. As I was working on the additive portion of the new synth, it hit me... why not try using the additive approach on a filter? And yes, the idea works. I hypothesized having a multi-harmonic resonator as the core of a filter would be the gateway to doing formant filters, multi-peak filters, maybe a phasor. Hours upon days of experimentation will be needed to get a grasp on what this additive concept is capable of.

Soundemote - multi-resonant filter test [mp3]

this filter is gnarly... the resonance jumps a few octaves somewhere in the cutoff sweep, like... why? and then you really hear its multi-harmonic character at the very end. Adding more harmonics tends to add chaos and "brokenness".

I'll have to make a series of filters that satisfy the definition of "broken", the most broken and oddly-behaving filters possible.

Architeuthis wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:51 pm P.S. As I was working on the additive portion of the new synth, it hit me... why not try using the additive approach on a filter? And yes, the idea works. I hypothesized having a multi-harmonic resonator as the core of a filter would be the gateway to doing formant filters, multi-peak filters, maybe a phasor. Hours upon days of experimentation will be needed to get a grasp on what this additive concept is capable of.

Soundemote - multi-resonant filter test [mp3]

this filter is gnarly... the resonance jumps a few octaves somewhere in the cutoff sweep, like... why? and then you really hear its multi-harmonic character at the very end. Adding more harmonics tends to add chaos and "brokenness".

I'll have to make a series of filters that satisfy the definition of "broken", the most broken and oddly-behaving filters possible.
I've done some of this using Reaktor: An array of parallel BPFs with cutoff values that follow basic waveform formulas. Definitely produces useable results. You're the only person I've seen to talk of such an idea - though I'm sure we're not alone here.

Another technique is to keep the fundamental as an LPF but have the harmonic values represented by band pass filters.

Return to “Effects”