Korg Wavestate and Opsix for Win/Mac

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dentaku wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:02 pm
pizzatime wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:27 pm Does anyone use OPSIX in Bitwig ? - doesn't run properly for me at all.. hangs and locks up and graphics go really laggy but works fine in Ableton on the same laptop.
Wavestate seems to run fine for me in Bitwig..
Do you have a laptop with both onboard video and a separate GPU that you can choose from?
I've found that if I force Ableton to use the Intel graphics the GUI runs fine but it's unusable if Ableton is using the Nvidia GPU.
Opsix still uses ridiculous amounts of CPU even when it's doing nothing but at least the GUI works.
Thats a great idea thanks - all Bitwig plugins are set to run on Nvidia GPU so probably that - will test.

Did you try using a different GPU yet?
pizzatime wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:08 pm
Thats a great idea thanks - all Bitwig plugins are set to run on Nvidia GPU so probably that - will test.

Tell me, is there really no full-fledged MSEG in Opsix, as in FM8 and Arturia DX7? The "Motion" block looks much less convenient.

MSEG as on the DX7? No, thankfully. I always thought the DX envelopes were silly and still do. My DX100 has them and they're a PITA to program...not entirely useless, but something that died and should stay dead. I'm pleased Korg didn't spoil Opsix by putting them in. Normal envelopes are fine for almost everything.

kritikon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:08 am MSEG as on the DX7? No, thankfully. I always thought the DX envelopes were silly and still do. My DX100 has them and they're a PITA to program...not entirely useless, but something that died and should stay dead. I'm pleased Korg didn't spoil Opsix by putting them in. Normal envelopes are fine for almost everything.
He said not about original DX7, but Arturia DX7V. Original DX7 has 8 parm EG(4 level and 4 rate), but DX7V has two mode EG. One is same as original, another is 16 points full multisegment EG.

And yes, OPsix has only ADSR EG with curve adjustment. I think FM method require flexible control on FM depth. It is shame that OPsix has only limited ADSR EG.

Played with the demos long enough to submit to my GAS and buy Wavestate. Not finding anything sonically special about Opsix though. In many ways, finding myself done with the almost sterile sounds of FM ala retro-80s.

I instead find the newer forms of included FM in other plugins preferable now.

Hoping Korg will introduce a software version of the Mod-7 soon?
Edit: not even hoping for that now.
Last edited by BBFG# on Mon May 23, 2022 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

dentaku wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:13 pm Did you try using a different GPU yet?
pizzatime wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:08 pm
Hi, I had already deleted it off my laptop and then bought Zebra HZ and decided to just use Bitwig The Grid and my Yamaha SY77 for FM so didn't get chance to try that solution..

BBFG# wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 pm Played with the demos long enough to submit to my GAS and buy Wavestate. Not finding anything sonically special about Opsix though. In many ways, finding myself done with the almost sterile sounds of FM ala retro-80s.

I instead find the newer forms of included FM in other plugins preferable now.

When you dig down, Opsix is capable of quite a bit more...but I totally get the FM thing. I think it's a style of sound you either love or hate. It's entirely easy to hate. I definitely won't be wasting money on a choice of several FM synths...one, and that's it.

Modwave...I don't know why Korg didn't release that as sw. If they were just dipping their toes into the water you'd think they'd just release one plugin, not two. I can only think they might sell more by having more than one big announcement rather than releasing the whole lot in one go. And there's more competition for wavetable stuff...less so for the other two?

kritikon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:39 pm
BBFG# wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:03 pm
Modwave...I don't know why Korg didn't release that as sw. If they were just dipping their toes into the water you'd think they'd just release one plugin, not two. I can only think they might sell more by having more than one big announcement rather than releasing the whole lot in one go. And there's more competition for wavetable stuff...less so for the other two?
My thinking is that they have two different teams, one did wavestate, the other did opsix, so maybe now those teams are freed up, one of them could work on a modwave native. It's only a guess, but why would they not release a modwave native when they done the other two.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

Both modwave and waveststion hardware are Dan P's babies out if Korg California.

Rsp
sound sculptist

I imagine there just might be a Modwave Native, maybe even by this summer, but facing fierce competition like Serum, Massive X, Pigments, Synthmaster One, Rapid and Phaseplant, they'll REALLY have to bring something new and innovative to the table.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Yeah - Modwave makes for a great hw synth if you like wavetable - lots of hands on control, and very good control too. But as s/w? I think it loses its selling point and as said - loads of competition already.

Personally I don't like wavetables much and I won't buy Modwave, but I really did like that it had the Kaoss pad, a typically good Korg sequencer and all the other stuff. Wish more synths had XY pads, and such a large one too. Out of all 3 of the Korg digitals I liked Modwave the least for sound, but the most for interface - very nearly bought it just for that, then remembered I don't like wavetables. :?

Boy Wonder wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:51 pm I imagine there just might be a Modwave Native, maybe even by this summer, but facing fierce competition like Serum, Massive X, Pigments, Synthmaster One, Rapid and Phaseplant, they'll REALLY have to bring something new and innovative to the table.
They already have in my opinion. The design and structure of the interface makes it so easy and enjoyable to use.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

It is interesting what people look for in synths. Fascinating, really. To me, what makes or breaks a synth is its arpeggiator functions - if it has one, that is. I use them a lot, and the more complex, the better.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

According to Dan, opsix has been updated to 1.0.3, which fixes the cpu issues, particularly on Apple silicon. Should be in Korg Software Pass now... it's had a similar audio reworking to the recent wavestate update, and the effects should be equally as dramatic as regards CPU use.

Return to “Instruments”