CLAP... thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Held wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:29 amYou could have multiple instances of the filter, but they'd all receive the same audio. There's no way for them to know which audio belongs to which voice.

Bitwig's built-in filters don't support polyphonic modulation either (except for in the FX Grid).
You're right. The only FX "plugins" I've ever seen support something like this are encased in an environment (Phase Plant and The Grid are the only things that come to mind), but I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

(you can also technically do this in Bitwig by using round robin selectors, but I digress).

Thanks to both yourself and Urs for answering.

egbert101 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:30 am Would be nice if there were some kind of open source DAW standard like browser standard (Chromium) so you could fundamentally transfer the same project in different DAWS but that's never going to happen. :hihi:
I think there's at least some hope for that.

egbert101 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:30 am Would be nice if there were some kind of open source DAW standard like browser standard (Chromium) so you could fundamentally transfer the same project in different DAWS but that's never going to happen. :hihi:
Halfways thing exists to convert project files between different DAWs (as much as possible), and it's called AATranslator.

there's also this thing: https://github.com/bitwig/dawproject

(that's what I was referring to, I didn't know it was public, yet)

So OMF ain't good enough it seems. :)

tor.helge.skei wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:10 am there's also this thing: https://github.com/bitwig/dawproject
This project is very interesting and extremely useful :tu: Not only among users, but also for one user who is using multiple DAWs.

It should have its only thread in the hosts forum IMO.

tor.helge.skei wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:10 am there's also this thing: https://github.com/bitwig/dawproject
I was just thinking about this last night as I wanted to transfer a Reaper project over to Bitwig. Nice to see another open standard around this being pursued.

shaboogen wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:35 am
Held wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:29 amYou could have multiple instances of the filter, but they'd all receive the same audio. There's no way for them to know which audio belongs to which voice.

Bitwig's built-in filters don't support polyphonic modulation either (except for in the FX Grid).
You're right. The only FX "plugins" I've ever seen support something like this are encased in an environment (Phase Plant and The Grid are the only things that come to mind), but I thought I'd ask the question anyway.

(you can also technically do this in Bitwig by using round robin selectors, but I digress).

Thanks to both yourself and Urs for answering.
I got the impression earlier that it could theoretically be done in CLAP because, as baconpaul said, CLAP just exposes ports. So in my head [and I'm no dev], a filter plugin could expose 8 audio inputs to the DAW [or some arbitrary number]. If an instrument plugin had 8 [or some arbitrary number] of outputs per voice, then those 8 per voice outputs could be routed to 8 inputs of the FX, which could then modulated polyphonically.

I don't think it will be common, but I don't think anything in CLAP prevents it. I'm sure baconpaul or Urs can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong (and there's a high likelihood of that).

I agree it could be useful if you say, you wanted to pipe in third-party filters to a different synth.

Urs wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm Look, Google figured it out already.
3rd result: "Top 4+ Claps VST Plugins 2022 | 🟣SoundsMag"
8th result: "Clap Machine, Free Generator plugin, Download Clap"
9th result: "Clap Machine | FREE VST PLUGINS"

Why are any of you so wedded to the name 'CLAP'?
Let me see:
1) Intelligent person comes up with new idea, gives it a name.
2) Some random people say the name isn't very good because it will cause confusion and difficulty in finding the very thing that person 1) has invented!
3) Intelligent person refuses to change the name, as if it's a new religion or something.
4) Intelligent person's brilliant idea continues to have more and more people asking him to change its name, because of search engine problems, but it's too late now!

We are at point 3, not too late to change the name, soon it will be. No skin off my nose, it doesn't bother me at all, but why handicap CLAP unnecessarily?

fisherKing wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:40 pm i think you're worrying over nothing. the name will be established, and individual developers will offer it when they have it. we'll buy the plugin we want, install it, and use whatever's viable for our DAWs, our setups.

i mean, words like 'vital' and 'diva', ''icarus', 'diversion'... 'zebra', 'hive' etc... all have 'other' meanings, yet no one will confuse the zebra synth with a living zebra... :D
The word 'vital' isn't associated with a musical sound, nor is 'diva', nor is 'diversion', 'zebra' or 'hive'.

Why not call it 'DRUM'? Or 'VOCAL'? Or ''SNARE'? Or 'Analog Synth'?
Why don't we call 'CLAP', 'DX7'? That would be a much better name (sarcasm), and not at all difficult to look up without finding what you are NOT looking for, wouldn't it?

Go to Google and type in
'CLAP synths'. How is the word 'clap', which means 'to hit your hands together to make a sound' NOT going to affect those search results for the rest of time? It's all very well saying that 'the plugin standard will become established' yadda yadd yadda, but you are going to have endless confusion when people search for CLAP plugins.

Then type in
'VST synths' and look at the results you get. See the difference?
Last edited by BenfordLaw on Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Can you please give it a rest now?
We got it...

BenfordLaw wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:52 pm
fisherKing wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:40 pm i think you're worrying over nothing. the name will be established, and individual developers will offer it when they have it. we'll buy the plugin we want, install it, and use whatever's viable for our DAWs, our setups.

i mean, words like 'vital' and 'diva', ''icarus', 'diversion'... 'zebra', 'hive' etc... all have 'other' meanings, yet no one will confuse the zebra synth with a living zebra... :D
The word 'vital' isn't associated with a musical sound, nor is 'diva', nor is 'diversion', 'zebra' or 'hive'.

Why not call it 'DRUM'? Or 'VOCAL'? Or ''SNARE'? Or 'Analog Synth'?
Why don't we call 'CLAP', 'DX7'? That would be a much better name (sarcasm), and not at all difficult to look up without finding what you are NOT looking for, wouldn't it?

Go to Google and type in
'CLAP synths'. How is the word 'clap', which means 'to hit your hands together to make a sound' NOT going to affect those search results for the rest of time?

Then type in
'VST synths' and look at the results you get. See the difference?
really, you've made your point. and again, people are able to find plugins like vital or diva. they'll find what they need, life will go on.

BenfordLaw wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:48 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm Look, Google figured it out already.
3rd result: "Top 4+ Claps VST Plugins 2022 | 🟣SoundsMag"
8th result: "Clap Machine, Free Generator plugin, Download Clap"
9th result: "Clap Machine | FREE VST PLUGINS"
Or in other words the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 10th, ... result is already properly associated with the topic. Anyways I agree, enough name discussion, we've got the answers.

BenfordLaw I am going to delete every post you make in this thread from now on...I have asked and asked, even deleted oneof your posts and you cant show some basic respect.,..STAY OUT OF ALL THREADS HAVING TO DO WITH CLAP...jees, it isnt hard to understand...do not even respond to this...just stay out.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Instruments”