One Synth Challenge #161: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda (Vospi Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Synth1

I have never tried this synth before today and it would seem to be a nice choice allowing for a good amount of customization but not being overly so that surge provided. I am hopeful I can make a really dancy track with this one.

I liked your "skins"! The one you call "original colors" too, a nice dark purple!) In order to get the original colors of Synth1, you need to uncheck the boxes next to the color selection windows.
Yes, I made a mistake, I do not know where these "original colors" come from, but they are good

Same here with Logic not seeing the plugin. After manually signing it with

Code: Select all

xattr -cr /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/"Synth1.component" 

Logic says it's been processed by the AU tool, everything is in the green, but I still can't see it in the list.

(Logic 10.7.4 on Monterey 12.4, M1 Pro 16" MBP)
Any thoughts?

Are you running logic under Rosetta 2? I'll give this a try shortly

Whether you are an experienced OSC member or a new one, if you ever have time, compose some tracks for Synth1 and the day (or month) will come when you can say: Here's my contribution ... :D
But seriously, Synth1 is the mother of all VST synths and always a repository of musical ideas. :tu:

Started working on some percussion voices and am running into something I am having a hard time understanding. I'll record later for a clearer demonstration, but if from my description you recognize what might be going on, I'm interested in hearing about it!

Preface: All effects are turned off, as are all LFOs. The "m envelope"* is also turned off. As far as I can tell, it's just oscillators, filters, and filter and amp envelopes, contributing to the sound I'm hearing.

Problem description: Basically, the instruments play "inconsistently" from keystrike to keystrike. My kick may have a pronounced chirp on one strike, and be a complely dull thud the next, and have levels all between these extremes on different strikes. Similar things happen for other instruments I'm trying to make.

Any idea what I might be missing? Or is this perhaps a quirk of the synth?

*What does the "m" stand for there?

Rahodees wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:55 am Problem description: Basically, the instruments play "inconsistently" from keystrike to keystrike...

Any idea what I might be missing? Or is this perhaps a quirk of the synth?

*What does the "m" stand for there?
No quirk. Your problem is probably related to the oscillator "phase" control. When set to zero, as it is by default, oscillator phase will be random at note on. Setting it to anything other will restart oscillators consistently on the set phase. And thus produce consistent percussion attacks. The working of "phase" in the unison section is dependent of the oscillator phase being set to random or fixed. It will spread in the latter case. "m.env" no doubt stands for "modulation envelope".

documentation can be found here:
https://sound.eti.pg.gda.pl/student/eim/doc/Synth1.pdf

All Our Sins

+++ This is a Submission +++
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/all-our-sins

nice dark edm banger. dance now! soon we'll all go to hell.
---
08.07.2022 Uploaded a mix wise overhauled version incorporating the amazing feedback of some guys from music cafe
---
Details (thx to Richard ... don't ask for the details, it would make me look stupid :-)

33 Instances of Synth1

DAW Fx
Compressor x11
Convolution x1
Delay+ x6
Dynamics x1
EQ+ x22
Multiband FX-2 x1
Peak Limiter x17

Fx plugins:
LoudMax x1
MLimiterMB x3
MLimiterX x1
MSaturator x1
MStereoProcessor x1
MTremolo x9
Valhalla Supermassive x1

Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

Rahodees wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:55 am Problem description: Basically, the instruments play "inconsistently" from keystrike to keystrike. My kick may have a pronounced chirp on one strike, and be a complely dull thud the next, and have levels all between these extremes on different strikes. Similar things happen for other instruments I'm trying to make.
Random Phase. Think of sth like this: The Oscillator oscillates freely and when you strike a key it might happen at the "beginning" of the waveform cycle or anywhere inbetween... imagine a sine wave. You might hit the zero crossing or the max/min value.
what does the manual say about osc phase?

I wouldn’t mind entering this but there’s so many rules I’d probably get disqualified 😂😂
No chorus or phaser fx??? 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:09 am I wouldn’t mind entering this but there’s so many rules I’d probably get disqualified 😂😂
No chorus or phaser fx??? 🤷‍♂️
If you just use the on-board FX of Synth1 - you can't go wrong. You can use any of those. Chorus included.
Captain Silverpants

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:09 am what does the manual say about osc phase?
The 'unofficial' manual says:
"This great option is used to adjust (shift) and fix the phase relations at the moment of triggering Oscillators 1 and 2. This parameter can affect the consistency, color and the fullness of sound.
If you move the knob all the way to the left (zero value), the phase is not fixed (many real analog synths have the same “drift” or difference of the phase.)"

Which is not all that clear. Or even entirely true. After checking with ears and a MIDI triggered scope, as far as I can tell this is what the knob does:

1. When set to zero: randomize the starting phase of both oscillators. Repeating a note causes abrupt timbral variations, so the oscillators are not free running.
2. When not set to zero: shift the starting phase of oscillator 2, while Oscillator 1 starting phase becomes fixed ; combining two pulse waves with "phase" set to 127 results in an octave shift.
Last edited by ELEX on Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Does anyone have a link to the latest *macOS VST* version? It looks like only AU is provided on the site these days :'(

EDIT: It looks like 1.13beta8 is here: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/245/ -- does anyone know where to find a newer macOS VST version?

EDIT2: the link above also links to a zip of 16 thousand more presets

cdbaksu wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:54 pmLogic not seeing the plugin...
Maybe try:

Code: Select all

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/*.component

Dartelec wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:20 am I have only MacBook Air at my disposal right now and it seems that the UI of Synth1 is just blank. Maybe someone here knows if there's a remedy for that?
I just tested the beta8 VST on my M1 Air and have the same issue: blank screen. Are you using beta8 VST or beta11 AU? I read that the updated AU might actually work? I haven't found a solution but will update you if I do.

Return to “Instruments”