MultiCompPlus Mk2

Official support for: hornetplugins.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've recently bought MultiCompPlus and I've noticed a couple of anomalies:
The first is how quickly the Optical mode reacts, I noticed it on a bass track where it was adding some distortion in the way a fast attack FET would. So using REAPER's CompScope JS plugin I compared it against IKMM's White 2A (an LA2A emulation) and HorNet's own Channel Strip Optical comp (all analogue saturation was turned off and plugins gain matched as much as possible).
You can see on the image below the 2A and the channel strip (middle and right) have very similar response curves but MultiComp (Left) has much less of a knee and behaves more like a limiter at some frequencies.

The other thing I noticed is the response and the degree of compression changes with the oversampling rate, particularly if the side chain filters are adjusted.
It would be great if the Devs could look at this as optical style compression is what I use most.

Hi, thank you for looking into this, the OPTO model in Multicomp Plus MK2 is a little different from the one in ChannelStrip so I'll have look to the issue.

Changing oversampling changes the resolution of the attack and release so it's normal that the sound changes when enabling it.

Saverio

ArranD wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:09 pm I've recently bought MultiCompPlus and I've noticed a couple of anomalies:
The first is how quickly the Optical mode reacts, I noticed it on a bass track where it was adding some distortion in the way a fast attack FET would. So using REAPER's CompScope JS plugin I compared it against IKMM's White 2A (an LA2A emulation) and HorNet's own Channel Strip Optical comp (all analogue saturation was turned off and plugins gain matched as much as possible).
You can see on the image below the 2A and the channel strip (middle and right) have very similar response curves but MultiComp (Left) has much less of a knee and behaves more like a limiter at some frequencies.

The other thing I noticed is the response and the degree of compression changes with the oversampling rate, particularly if the side chain filters are adjusted.
It would be great if the Devs could look at this as optical style compression is what I use most.
Would you mind telling me the exact settings you used for MultiCompPlus ? I've done the same test but I'm getting different results.

Also the sample rate and buffer size of your session please.

Thank you
Saverio

I can't get to my DAW for a couple of days but from memory the settings were:
128 samples
Saturation and Transformer off
All auto options off
Threshold / pre Post gain adjusted to suite.
I saved the test as a Reaper project so I can forward that if it's any use.

I've just tried it on my macbook
Reaper 48k 512spl
VST3
Threshold at zero ,input gain -3dB, output gain +3dB
All saturation off
Same results.

Ok you know what I can do, I can bring back the old opto model, maybe naming them opto 1 and opto 2, what you think about it?

Saverio

HoRNet wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:11 pm Ok you know what I can do, I can bring back the old opto model, maybe naming them opto 1 and opto 2, what you think about it?

Saverio
I think that's a good idea - the new Opto definitely does its own thing and keeping it will help ensure nobody's existing projects break, the old Opto is a classic, maybe call it LA Opto?

Why not, I'm scheduling an update hopefully this month :)

thank you
Saverio

HoRNet wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:41 am Why not, I'm scheduling an update hopefully this month :)

thank you
Saverio
A little bump...

Return to “HoRNet Plugins”