IK goes AI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
AmpliTube 5 TONEX MAX TONEX SE TONEX Standard

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:51 pm Anyone know how to create their own captures yet? Is there info on that? I haven't had a chance to dig into that yet, but haven't seen anyone else reference it either.
I bought Capture so I’ll be testing this out tonight. There is a breakdown on their site on how to do this, I think you can also access the Capture manual which is all transferable to any re-amp device.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:51 pm Anyone know how to create their own captures yet? Is there info on that? I haven't had a chance to dig into that yet, but haven't seen anyone else reference it either.
I'm not interested in the capture side personally, but there is a section on it in the manual.
Say NO to CLAP!

Thanks guys. Just to further answer the question on how to capture your own gear, you do it in the Standalone version and it guides you through it step by step. Really looking forward to capturing my gear and seeing how the results come out. I've got something like 40 pedals here (I'd say almost 15 of which are distortion/fuzz/drive), a bunch of amps, microphones and pres. I have no intention of trying to do it all, but definitely will be capturing some of it.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:13 pm Thanks guys. Just to further answer the question on how to capture your own gear, you do it in the Standalone version and it guides you through it step by step. Really looking forward to capturing my gear and seeing how the results come out. I've got something like 40 pedals here (I'd say almost 15 of which are distortion/fuzz/drive), a bunch of amps, microphones and pres. I have no intention of trying to do it all, but definitely will be capturing some of it.
I have an old Silvertone practice amp that I soldered the transformer on that I'm going to capture extensively. At some point that transformer is going to fail for sure. so that's getting captured extensively for sure.

Right away. the Tonex Twin is miles above the Amplitube Twin. Amplitube twin gets really digital quick when pushed, the Tonex responds really well to a booster pedal before it.

My first impression of TONEX is there's definitely a sonic improvement. It sounds much more pure, natural, and unfiltered.

But what I've found is it is almost completely a sound quality issue of convolution vs machine learning.

In AmpliTube 5.5, setup a TONEX preset and an AmpliTube model of the same amp. Roughly match the model's settings to the TONEX version. Open the TONEX setting panel and disable the TONEX cab, then enable the VIR cab. You'll notice all of the quality gains from TONEX are lost as soon as you introduce convolution. There's not that much difference between the amps themselves, at least with newer AmpliTube models (AT4 and newer.)

So I reiterate, IK could bring the most dramatic improvement to AmpliTube by replacing each IR in AmpliTube's VIR cabs with a Machine Modeling capture of the cab in the same mic position.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

chip mcdonald wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:49 pm I'm away from my computer or else I would have tried it by now.

How is the latency?
Are the "models with cabs" separable? As in, can you run just the cab?
What does Reaper report for CPU?
jinotsuh wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:35 pm Not interested in capture
Studio One shows it at 0.2ms
Cabs Separable, although it appears not within Amplitube. Got to sleep will check it out tomorrow, but that what it appears to be.
REAPER, wouldn't touch it with a 40ft barge pole, CPU use is way less than Amplitube 5, it's quite light, surprised me.
and if you're a knob twiddler, twiddle away
After some sleep and back at it, that was incorrect, yes cabs are indeed separable from within Amplitube as well, as they should be.
Say NO to CLAP!

Anyone doing their own Tone Captures yet? Doing my first now of my UAFX Dream 65 (it was on the floor right next to the adapter so why not). Not sure how it'll turn out. Seems like this will take about 1-2 hours start to finish.

Using an AMD 3950x with a Radeon RX 5500 XT graphics card. Did I read somewhere it's faster with Nvidia?

If I knew it was going to take this long, I definitely would've put more effort into making sure it's actually a good tone, and not just whatever setting it happened to turn on to with the reverb and tremolo off.

Have folks started sharing captures yet? If so, where? Are they on ToneNet somewhere? I looked briefly and didn't see any quick way to filter on ToneX models only.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:34 am Have folks started sharing captures yet? If so, where? Are they on ToneNet somewhere? I looked briefly and didn't see any quick way to filter on ToneX models only.
https://www.tone.net/tonex
Say NO to CLAP!

First take came out well. I'm not sure if it's "exactly the same" - I feel like the gain between live and modeled wasn't quite right and there was some low end missing (both could've been user error), but the overall character was there and it sounded great. Like, that was the test run and I got a really great sounding tone I'll be keeping. I did that first version using the Default training model and the "stompbox" options. Now I'm doing another using the Advanced model and the "amp" model.

jinotsuh wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:56 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:34 am Have folks started sharing captures yet? If so, where? Are they on ToneNet somewhere? I looked briefly and didn't see any quick way to filter on ToneX models only.
https://www.tone.net/tonex
Thanks! I did a quick check of ToneX from Amplitube 5.5 and couldn't find them.

jinotsuh wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:25 am After some sleep and back at it, that was incorrect, yes cabs are indeed separable from within Amplitube as well, as they should be.
How? Here the cab is ingrained into the preset, what am I missing?

Anyone know where these Tone Models are being saved? How do I back this up? I actually checked the manual this time and couldn't find reference to it and only saw a FactoryPresets folder under Documents\IK Multimedia\ToneX\. No UserPresets or UserToneModels folder.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:39 am
jinotsuh wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:25 am After some sleep and back at it, that was incorrect, yes cabs are indeed separable from within Amplitube as well, as they should be.
How? Here the cab is ingrained into the preset, what am I missing?
When you have TONEX amp in place, above and just to the right of the amp pic you'll see a dial, click on that and it will open up a panel where you can disable the cab just as you would with TONEX outside of Amplitube.

Say NO to CLAP!

You can also disable just the amp in a TONEX Tone Model.
I'm going to try running 2 AmpliTubes in sequence, with a modeled amp in the first and the cab disabled, and a TONEX cab in the second instance with the amp disabled. That may be the best of both worlds. Too bad that functionality isn't built into a single instance of AmpliTube.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Effects”