Cherry Audio Releases GX-80 Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GX-80 Synthesizer

zzz00m wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:40 pm
Grumbleweed wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:19 am I couldn't map the touch strip to my Kontakt midi controller as there is no midi learn for that feature (well I couldn't make it pop up).
I watched a video interview with Dan @Cherry and he explained that the only MIDI mapping to the virtual touch strip is via Pitch Bend. That was by design.

The only way to actually use the original touch strip feature on the GX-80 is either with a mouse or a touch-enabled screen.
That's a disappointment. I haven't tried the demo yet, but I figured I could use the ribbon on my Kurzweil to control the GX-80's ribbon. I could set my ribbon to send pitch bend data, but that kind of defeats the point.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:07 am So, just to see what's what, I'm disappointed with this one. It's got that muted high end like old Arturia stuff used to have. Once second in and I could just hear that dull osc sound when you initialize the patch. Pass. I feel like Charlie Brown going to kick the football every time I demo a Cherry Audio plugin.
I guess that everyone's expectations are different. But what I hear is anything but dull. YMMV.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:03 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:07 am So, just to see what's what, I'm disappointed with this one. It's got that muted high end like old Arturia stuff used to have. Once second in and I could just hear that dull osc sound when you initialize the patch. Pass. I feel like Charlie Brown going to kick the football every time I demo a Cherry Audio plugin.
I guess that everyone's expectations are different. But what I hear is anything but dull. YMMV.
You probably won’t hear it going though the presets, because a filter is almost always used, but it’s pretty clear if you just make some sounds where the filter is all the way up. I didn’t look at a spectrum analyzer, but I bet you’ll see a pretty clear drop off. Most likely to avoid aliasing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:08 am
You probably won’t hear it going though the presets, because a filter is almost always used, but it’s pretty clear if you just make some sounds where the filter is all the way up. I didn’t look at a spectrum analyzer, but I bet you’ll see a pretty clear drop off. Most likely to avoid aliasing.
Are you referring to an init preset?

zzz00m wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:13 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:08 am
Are you referring to an init preset?
I just took a basics preset and zeroed everything out.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

First of all, the GX-80 doesn't alias. Second, to open the filters completely, pull the BRILL paddle down all the way.

MarkBarton wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:07 am First of all, the GX-80 doesn't alias. Second, to open the filters completely, pull the BRILL paddle down all the way.
Thanks Mark!!! :tu:

yeah BRILL default should be open IMHO

I know what you are talking about, but it is not really like the high end is missing. It is just not as open and clear as many other synths. Like it is being played through a Roland KB-500 amp. The high frequencies are there, yet, they seem lifeless.
All I need to be happy is one more VSTi.

Rabid wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:10 pm I know what you are talking about, but it is not really like the high end is missing. It is just not as open and clear as many other synths. Like it is being played through a Roland KB-500 amp. The high frequencies are there, yet, they seem lifeless.
As Mark Barton said, you'll need to pull the BRILL paddle all the way down. I could be wrong but it sounds like zerocrossing turned all the knobs up, including the BRILL paddle, which might be the cause of what he's hearing.

Has CA improved the cpu usage of any of their synths after release? I like the GX-80 but the cpu hit is too much for my computer.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson

teilo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:22 am
wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:08 am
Examigan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:46 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:36 pm I won't even get into how the Memorymoon is 32 bit and sounds like crap in comparison.
They have a 64-bit version too.
Never mind. I see the company name is also the name of one of the synths. So when I saw him say Memorymoon, I assumed he meant the Memorymoon.

I still stand by what I say about the sound. I listened to the ME80 before I bought Arturia's CS80 because Arturia was superior and that's not saying much because Arturia, at the time, wasn't all that great.

The GX80 blows both of them out of the water, at least up to V3. I haven't listened to V4 yet but I'm not spending their ridiculous upgrade prices anymore. I played that game longer than I should have.
I have the ME80 and I entirely agree. As for Arturia V4, it is night and day compared to V3. It's a complete rewrite. They knocked it out of the park, and the GS-80 is the only thing that can compare. I made some comparison patches and they are very close to one another. IMO the V4 filter sounds better than the GS-80, but take price into account, and I find no reason anyone would buy V4.
Yes definitely, ME80 is still the best overall.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:05 am
wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:36 pm I won't even get into how the Memorymoon is 32 bit and sounds like crap in comparison.
Never mind. I see the company name is also the name of one of the synths. So when I saw him say Memorymoon, I assumed he meant the Memorymoon.

I still stand by what I say about the sound. I listened to the ME80 before I bought Arturia's CS80 because Arturia was superior and that's not saying much because Arturia, at the time, wasn't all that great.

The GX80 blows both of them out of the water, at least up to V3. I haven't listened to V4 yet but I'm not spending their ridiculous upgrade prices anymore. I played that game longer than I should have.
I have the ME80 and I entirely agree. As for Arturia V4, it is night and day compared to V3. It's a complete rewrite. They knocked it out of the park, and the GS-80 is the only thing that can compare. I made some comparison patches and they are very close to one another. IMO the V4 filter sounds better than the GS-80, but take price into account, and I find no reason anyone would buy V4.
I was saying just the opposite, as was wagtunes. The ME80 sounds less like a CS-80 than any other VA emulation. The best, by far, is Arturia V4. GX-80 is right there with it.

teilo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:40 pm
HunterKiller wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:05 am

I was saying just the opposite, as was wagtunes. The ME80 sounds less like a CS-80 than any other VA emulation. The best, by far, is Arturia V4. GX-80 is right there with it.
Exactly, ME80 is the best!

teilo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:40 pm I was saying just the opposite, as was wagtunes. The ME80 sounds less like a CS-80 than any other VA emulation. The best, by far, is Arturia V4. GX-80 is right there with it.
I have all of them and agree with this. Not a fan of ME80. I think it's worth buying the Arturia and Cherry versions as they both sound great and each has its own unique features.
Stormchild

Return to “Instruments”