Cherry Audio Releases GX-80 Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GX-80 Synthesizer

sergiofrias wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:03 pm gx-80 lowpass filter is 12db/oct,like the real unit ...arturia is 24db/oct...just saying ;)
do your (easy) homework before posting absolute bullsh** on the internet. the Arturia lowpass filter is 12db, just like the hardware.

the earlier version defaulted to 12db and had a button that let you switch it to 24db, optionally. the V4 appears to have removed that option, though. I'm guessing you probably saw the '24db' text printed on the older version panel and decided, incorrectly, that it meant the filter is 24db, but you're wrong -- it's 12db, and that button is a switch to make it 24db.

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:40 am
zzz00m wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:20 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:11 pm I know the drill with the CS-80. What I’m hearing is a developer who rapid fires cheap plugins out of a Gatling gun to make a quick dollar on people who don’t care that much about quality or are running older computers. They’re OK, but the bar has been raised and it’s not 2005 anymore.
So your reasoning is that because they are inexpensive synths, they cannot possibly be as accurate an emulation, or as good sounding as synths that are much more expensive. :dog:

I have both the Arturia CS-80 V4 and the GX-80, and when I put them side by side in a DAW they are very close. And the CS-80 V4 is $199 (full retail).

I like them both!
Nope, I’m saying that I put them up against each other, setting for setting, and the Cherry Audio plugin sounded worse, but at least it’s cheap. Think of yourself as lucky you can’t hear a difference. You can save a lot of money not being able to appreciate quality.
Be thankful that placebos work on you. It must make the world seem so much more magical than it really is.

General Forum Rules…

…2. Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will result in your post being edited / deleted, and you may be issued with a warning and / or a ban.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

teilo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:40 pm
HunterKiller wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:05 am
teilo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:22 am
wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:08 am
Examigan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:46 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:36 pm I won't even get into how the Memorymoon is 32 bit and sounds like crap in comparison.
They have a 64-bit version too.
Never mind. I see the company name is also the name of one of the synths. So when I saw him say Memorymoon, I assumed he meant the Memorymoon.

I still stand by what I say about the sound. I listened to the ME80 before I bought Arturia's CS80 because Arturia was superior and that's not saying much because Arturia, at the time, wasn't all that great.

The GX80 blows both of them out of the water, at least up to V3. I haven't listened to V4 yet but I'm not spending their ridiculous upgrade prices anymore. I played that game longer than I should have.
I have the ME80 and I entirely agree. As for Arturia V4, it is night and day compared to V3. It's a complete rewrite. They knocked it out of the park, and the GS-80 is the only thing that can compare. I made some comparison patches and they are very close to one another. IMO the V4 filter sounds better than the GS-80, but take price into account, and I find no reason anyone would buy V4.
Yes definitely, ME80 is still the best overall.
I was saying just the opposite, as was wagtunes. The ME80 sounds less like a CS-80 than any other VA emulation. The best, by far, is Arturia V4. GX-80 is right there with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phkLxDYXSBg
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

masterhiggins wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:54 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:40 am
zzz00m wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:20 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:11 pm I know the drill with the CS-80. What I’m hearing is a developer who rapid fires cheap plugins out of a Gatling gun to make a quick dollar on people who don’t care that much about quality or are running older computers. They’re OK, but the bar has been raised and it’s not 2005 anymore.
So your reasoning is that because they are inexpensive synths, they cannot possibly be as accurate an emulation, or as good sounding as synths that are much more expensive. :dog:

I have both the Arturia CS-80 V4 and the GX-80, and when I put them side by side in a DAW they are very close. And the CS-80 V4 is $199 (full retail).

I like them both!
Nope, I’m saying that I put them up against each other, setting for setting, and the Cherry Audio plugin sounded worse, but at least it’s cheap. Think of yourself as lucky you can’t hear a difference. You can save a lot of money not being able to appreciate quality.
Be thankful that placebos work on you. It must make the world seem so much more magical than it really is.
Keep telling yourself that. It’ll keep you safe.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Nvrmnd
Last edited by masterhiggins on Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My God, can we PLEASE leave the kindergarten and start talking like polite adults again??

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:03 am
General Forum Rules…

…2. Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will result in your post being edited / deleted, and you may be issued with a warning and / or a ban.
I never saw that, thank you for bringing it in. Why don't admins take it more seriously??

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:04 pm My God, can we PLEASE leave the kindergarten and start talking like polite adults again??
On KVR? You'll be lucky

edit:
I never saw that, thank you for bringing it in. Why don't admins take it more seriously??
a) The admins don't read KVR.

b) The moderators, few that they are, seem to be perpetually afraid of offending the small group of frequent problem children - who all seem to be in the KVRAF group by some chance of fate - so they are given a pass. As an example see how bad Bones had to get before he got a few days' vacation.

The net result is that KVR is considered the worst of all audio forums on the internet, the owners may even be proud of that badge of honour, I've never been able to tell.
Last edited by NikkiA on Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:05 pm I never saw that, thank you for bringing it in. Why don't admins take it more seriously??
No idea. I got a long ban once for almost using a swear word, but passive aggressive posts are allowed to clog up threads for pages.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:04 pm My God, can we PLEASE leave the kindergarten and start talking like polite adults again??
OK boomer

Only joking. I hope that's not illegal. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

inaheartbeat wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:26 am I got the GX-80 for less than $50 on special and it was absolutely worth it! Please fix the sustain pedal issue though!!!! When I hold the sustain pedal it should not stop after 6 seconds.
That's how the real hardware works, but I too would appreciate the ability to have an infinite sustain.
Stormchild

People gone bit crazy on here, it's just a synth emulation! demo them, i'm sure both great! I have an old mac so sticking with Arturia for time being, cos i already own it.

mholloway wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:09 am
do your (easy) homework before posting absolute bullsh** on the internet. the Arturia lowpass filter is 12db, just like the hardware.

the earlier version defaulted to 12db and had a button that let you switch it to 24db, optionally. the V4 appears to have removed that option, though. I'm guessing you probably saw the '24db' text printed on the older version panel and decided, incorrectly, that it meant the filter is 24db, but you're wrong -- it's 12db, and that button is a switch to make it 24db.
OK...so i did a small mistake,because i was comparing visually at higher cutoff values ,it resembled 24 db in that area,so this time to make sure that i was avoiding the high frequency area ,i set the cutoff frequency to 300hz ,(tested using only noise from both CS-80V and GX-80,and disabling the saw and square),so my readings are showing me that is not 24db on the CS-80V but actually closer to 15 db .
GX-80 (red color) on the other side is very close to 12 db(yellow),(CS-80V,white)(fig 1).
GX-80 is much brighter ,and i did not engaged the gx-1 filter ;)
take a look at this graphs, i compared with zebra (6db ,12db,18db,24db) ,CS-80V (white) (fig 2):
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

Arashi wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:46 pm
inaheartbeat wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:26 am I got the GX-80 for less than $50 on special and it was absolutely worth it! Please fix the sustain pedal issue though!!!! When I hold the sustain pedal it should not stop after 6 seconds.
That's how the real hardware works, but I too would appreciate the ability to have an infinite sustain.
It is a fair observation that the original synths worked that way. But the GX-80 is a combination of vintage synths so in a way there is no actual way the hardware worked since it never existed. Given that, it is a pretty fair ask to have a sustain pedal on a synth be able to sustain until a note release is received. This is especially useful for a synth that lends itself so well to creating deeply evolving pads. Sometimes, being too exact can be a real detriment because even classic synths don't get every possible design decision perfect. I think if we really want to be exact, then everyone playing the VST or standalone version of the GX-80 should be forced to lift massive weights beforehand to simulate what it was like moving a GX-1 or even a CS-80. You have to show proof of a hernia before you are authorized :wink:

Return to “Instruments”