Cherry Audio Releases GX-80 Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GX-80 Synthesizer

sergiofrias wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:11 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:17 pm
Chris-S wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:44 am According to CA the GX1 was having 9 dB filters.
It’s odd, I went on the ol’ internet and there wasn’t really much about the slope of either instrument. My first feeling was the GX filter seemed steeper than the CS filter on GX-80. Ultimately, I like a shallower slope on a synth that’s such a pad monster. I also don’t really care that much about accuracy of emulation, as long as the result ends up sounding good. It’s not like I’m sitting around thinking, “Should I get a GX-1 or the Cherry Audio plugin?” :lol:
heres some GX-1 filter compared to CS-80 filter modelled in GX-80:

so i used a calculator and i estimated a slope of 7db/oct in GX-1(purple),
and zebra's 12 db/oct (yellow) and cs-80 (red) seems very close so i'd say 12db .
(for reference 6 db is white)
Your image link is broken.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Chris-S wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:44 am
Your image link is broken.
here is all ,hope its visible:

Imagefilter test 2 by sergio frias, no Flickr

Imagefilter test 1 by sergio frias, no Flickr

Imagegx-80 filter part 2 by sergio frias, no Flickr
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

Hello everyone,

I'm demoing the GX80 with the linnstrument. Any idea how the MPE is supposed to work? I activate the MPE in the daw, but the pitch is not per note. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks

GX80 does not support MPE.

Chris-S wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:30 pm GX80 does not support MPE.
While the GX-80 doesn't support MPE per se, it supports (like the original instruments) polyphonic aftertouch, which can be triggered by an MPE controller.

From the manual: "As with the original instruments, GX-80 responds to polyphonic aftertouch, but you'll need a controller capable of transmitting it. To be clear, very few synths and MIDI controllers are capable of transmitting poly aftertouch (old Ensoniq keyboards, Kurzweil MIDIBoard, or MIDI MPE controllers from Roli, Keith McMillen, Roger Linn Linnstrument, etc.)."
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

And my Hydrasynth Deluxe that arrived this afternoon. Yum!

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Aftertouch, maybe it is polyphonic - although I don't really hear it, but per note slide it definitely doesn't do, right? as this requires MPE...

Also, developers should really implement that u-he style pitchbend range lock, as it's extremely annoying to reset it with every patch.

It doesn’t do per note slide, but then neither did the GX-1 or CS-80.
Definitely does poly aftertouch.

Are you safe?

Neither of them could save 1000 patches or be used with a mouse ;) , but guess what...

Anyway, hope they will upgrade it to MPE one day.

i dont own this yet, just playing....

is there a way to set it up to pretend it is JUST a GX-1 playing? shut down or off, this or that, or whatever?

wwjd wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:43 pm i dont own this yet, just playing....

is there a way to set it up to pretend it is JUST a GX-1 playing? shut down or off, this or that, or whatever?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. There is too much baked into this that isn't even in the GX-1 or CS 80.

Set filters to GX1 mode. Don't use flanger / delay, the GX-1 only had (spring) reverb.

wwjd wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:43 pm i dont own this yet, just playing....

Here's everything you need to know about the GX-1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_GX-1

Compare that to the GX 80 and see if you can "shut off" what isn't in the GX-1. That way you'll be able to answer your own question.

The main takeaway from the overview I watched was that the yellow switches are primarily GX1 specific controls for filters etc so make sure all those are set in that GX mode.

Are you safe?

Chris-S wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:02 pm Set filters to GX1 mode. Don't use flanger / delay, the GX-1 only had (spring) reverb.
I don't think it's as simple as just changing the filter mode. The GX-1 didn't have nearly the amount of things baked into it that this synth has. Plus, I seriously doubt that the oscillators themselves sound the same. To me, this sounds much closer to the CS 80 and even there, it's not a perfect emulation by any stretch. Personally, I think it sounds infinitely better. I should know. I owned a CS back in the early 80s. Probably the worst purchase I ever made. Without a ton of FX, it sounded like crap. I should try to find some of my old recordings so you can hear just how bad this thing sounded without FX. I mean we're not talking Minimoog fat here.

Return to “Instruments”