Which LiquidSonics Reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Tai Chi Lite can imbue a lot of character, and sounds great on drums with aggressive transients. You choose room style, reflections from a list of reflection patterns, spacing (which depends on pattern and pre-delay). It helps to understand how the patterns are named. It's a number and letter. Numbers increase with size, letter increments with reflectivity. So choose whatever size you want, and A-C.

You can also totally kill the ER and get the reverb only, or mix balance between the two.

Tai Chi full adds dynamics so you get a ducker to further shape attacks.

chagzuki wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:20 am Any recommendations for the specific use case of adding lively ambience to electronic drums? I'm less interested in a realistic room than something that sounds 'alive' (whatever that means), and which doesn't create a brittle and harsh reflected echo of the kick transient (as early reflection modellers tend to do).
CRP offers the best early reflections on the market. Pro, so you can control it. Will you like it? You’d need to demo it long enough to learn some of the controls.

TaiChi is quite good, as well.

Tai Chi is amazing and excels at colored vintage vibes (but can do transparent too).
CR is amazing and excels at natural and transparent reverberation, with (as already said) the best early reflections I know on the market. But it can’t make colored crazy stuff. I use it mainly for positionning things in space, not for hearing obvious reverb.
Difficult to choose, but for electronic music I would choose Tai Chi. It’s an amazing and very versatile reverb, and it’s both easy to use and very tweakable.

Calagan wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:11 am Tai Chi is amazing and excels at colored vintage vibes (but can do transparent too).
CR is amazing and excels at natural and transparent reverberation, with (as already said) the best early reflections I know on the market. But it can’t make colored crazy stuff. I use it mainly for positionning things in space, not for hearing obvious reverb.
Difficult to choose, but for electronic music I would choose Tai Chi. It’s an amazing and very versatile reverb, and it’s both easy to use and very tweakable.
I’d choose CRP first every time, and I make electronic music. There’s space (ha) for both, similar as why I enjoyed both R4 and Nimbus.

You can make CRP obvious (but not as obvious as you can make TaiChi). Don’t know about CR as I don’t use that version.

Calagan wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:11 am Tai Chi is amazing and excels at colored vintage vibes (but can do transparent too).
IMO it's something of a challenge in mixing to find the best compromise between clarity and sense of space. I suppose one might say that clarity results from elements being differentiated in the soundstage, and that's true, but there's still a gap in clarity between sounds which have little or no reverb and those which do in the sense that any form of reverb creates some degree of veiling of detail.
The 'in your face' quality of having things upfront (often with distortion) can also bring with it a sense that those elements are presented as though flattened across a 2D piece of paper, but at the same time to introduce reverb to create a more 3d/voluminous impression can reduce the aggressiveness and clarity. So I wonder if the holy grail particularly for electronic music is a reverb which manages as much as possible to preserve clarity whilst still creating a sense of dimensionality.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

I have Tai Chi, Reverberate 3 and Illusion thus far and could pick one more before the sale ends.

Does it make sense to get Seventh Heaven Professional instead of Cinematic Rooms Standard? Cinematic Rooms Professional looks a bit complicated. Also, I think it is not as versatile as Seventh Heaven and more suitable for placing real recorded instruments in a "room" and orchestral/soundtrack stuff, but I could be wrong. Not sure I "need" either, but both seem to be adding nice, clean ambience, which is not very obvious until you take them off. I am into pop/rock/hip-hop/electronic genres by the way.

So, I also think if Seventh Heaven Standard for supercheap with loyalty coupons might just be good enough. But then, there is no direct upgrade path to Professional and I would need to surrender my Standard license if I were to upgrade, so might as well get Professional instead. So, that's where the question in the first sentence comes up.

Not that suggestions so far haven't been helpful, but just to continue the discussion a bit more before the sale ends and I get back to actually start using the acquired reverbs.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:33 am I have Tai Chi, Reverberate 3 and Illusion thus far and could pick one more before the sale ends.

So, I also think if Seventh Heaven Standard for supercheap with loyalty coupons might just be good enough. But then, there is no direct upgrade path to Professional and I would need to surrender my Standard license if I were to upgrade, so might as well get Professional instead. So, that's where the question in the first sentence comes up.
I can give you one piece of advice. if you don't have Seventh Heaven, make sure you get one, because you can't live without it later. :)
If you want quick solutions, the standard version will be enough for you.
And for the coupons you've collected, it's worth it even if you buy the PRO version next year.
(it's worth keeping both, because you can work with the standard one very quickly if you need to)

if you're on a tight budget, I'd buy an S7 Standard for pennies first, and then use all the coupons you've collected so far to buy a CR Standard. :)

But is S7 standard really necessary if you own Reverberate ?
The M7 IR are pretty amazing in reverberate...

becseigy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:14 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:33 am I have Tai Chi, Reverberate 3 and Illusion thus far and could pick one more before the sale ends.

I can give you one piece of advice. if you don't have Seventh Heaven, make sure you get one, because you can't live without it later. :)
If you want quick solutions, the standard version will be enough for you.
And for the coupons you've collected, it's worth it even if you buy the PRO version next year.
(it's worth keeping both, because you can work with the standard one very quickly if you need to)

if you're on a tight budget, I'd buy an S7 Standard for pennies first, and then use all the coupons you've collected so far to buy a CR Standard. :)
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Yes, quick solution is always great, but compared to Cinematic Rooms Pro, Seventh Heaven Pro looks a bit easier to use/control, which is why I was thinking to get only one of the Seventh Heaven versions. I could certainly leave Cinematic Rooms Standard/Pro for next year, assuming the choice of going with Seventh Heaven (first) is better. I do understand your thought process though and I could possibly do that. :)

But...
Calagan wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:42 am But is S7 standard really necessary if you own Reverberate ?
This is another reason, which I forgot to mention, why I have been debating with myself about getting Seventh Heaven Professional instead of Standard if at all.

I wonder if Seventh Heaven is the next cleanest sounding reverb to Cinematic Rooms in LS catalog?

Calagan wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:42 am But is S7 standard really necessary if you own Reverberate ?
Damn, this is confusing. So Seventh Heaven Pro has early/tail balance control and loads more IRs, whereas the non-pro version looks like a limited preset player, and Reverberate has Bricasti impulses and a high degree of control, but isn't designed to mimic the exact controls of the Bricasti?

I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?

chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:54 pm I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
The point of Reverberate is to use reverb IRs from anywhere. Some of those can be from known hardware units.

Pretty sure you need that downloadable extra content of the hardware IRs if you want the hardware IRs and presets like the M7. I don't know what the standard presets are of as I've never used them.

chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:47 pm
Damn, this is confusing. So Seventh Heaven Pro has early/tail balance control and loads more IRs, whereas the non-pro version looks like a limited preset player, and Reverberate has Bricasti impulses and a high degree of control, but isn't designed to mimic the exact controls of the Bricasti?
Correct. Very clear and not confusing.

One is a specific emulation, the other is an IR "player" that you can load any reverb IR (and maybe others? I've not tried) into, which, if you choose, could include IRs from the same reverb unit that Seventh Heaven emulates.

chagzuki wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:54 pm I'm even more confused, I installed the demo of Reverberate, without the extra content (didn't want to immediately fill my drive up), and the standard presets have no reference to hardware units, but rather just generic reverb type names. I thought that the point of Reverberate was that it was reproducing known hardware units... so what are the standard presets based on?
I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Perhaps others could comment?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:02 am I noted that alot of the ones in the demo were actually from free IR libraries. I've no idea if the full version has "unique" IRs unavailable elsewhere. I'm also not sure if it is more than a standard convolution reverb.

Perhaps others could comment?
It became clearer having followed the links to download extra IR content, though the website could benefit from presenting the info on a single page. The link to the IR library is to a page with more links to 3 different bundles, the Bricasti set being one of them, and over 4GB on it's own. I've not seen reference to the total disk space required to install everything, it seems you have to initialise the download to find out.
Anyhow, the control one has over the Bricasti impulses within Reverberate does indeed seem superior to the Seventh Heaven non-pro version, and I'm liking it a lot.

Is it possible to use multiple discount coupons for a single purchase in the shop?
Edit: I see that they can. No mention of them expiring either, so I guess they can be retained until next year.
Last edited by chagzuki on Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Effects”