Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

It’s a parameter on the project framework to let the host know what input and output channels will be available to initialize.

discoDSP wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:06 pm Thanks. No restrictions, commercial use is getting profit from it. Appreciated, purchase will help ongoing development!
I understand that this project needs money. GPL allows to sell software or to offer some special feature (AAX version) but the message of discoDSP/OB-Xd webpage is ambiguous for many people:
OB-Xd Desktop is free for non-commercial use.
Buying a license removes this restriction.
AAX delivered after purchase.
The license of OB-Xd is very clear, you can't add restrictions to use, and users can make commercial products from a free software (e.g a record or a song).

Ardour sells the binary, but It doesn't add restrictions. Users can compile it and to make money with songs made from Ardour.

The question is: Can I make a song with OB-Xd and sell it?

I think that message of discoDSP webpage is wrong (Is OB-Xd Desktop the standalone version or the message refers to plugin version?). Many independent musicians and newbie users have the idea that they only can use OB-Xd in home, and the license (GPL) give all freedom to users.

Please discoDSP make more clear the message of the official webpage, all new users need it.

kivier wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:19 am The question is: Can I make a song with Instrument and sell it?
To my knowledge this has never been tested in court.

If you already have the license you require (GPLv2, v3, ...) you won't be needing any additional license to use the software. Read the license and obey the restrictions as required. No version of GPL to my knowledge restricts your right to use the software in any way you see fit (commercial or otherwise) or to re-license the software.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Well, for me the message from OB-Xd webpage is 'weird'. Many people are confused and think that OB-Xd is almost-free (like Reaper) and they are limited and don't share their work with OB-Xd or, even, don't recommend it. Maybe discoDSP refers to software distribution or maybe is only a tactics for to make to people pay for the synth (I don't know). We need a more clear message, something like:
OB-Xd Desktop is free for any use
But, please, consider donating
AAX delivered after donating

kivier wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:19 am I understand that this project needs money. GPL allows to sell software or to offer some special feature (AAX version) but the message of discoDSP/OB-Xd webpage is ambiguous for many people.
The question is: Can I make a song with OB-Xd and sell it?
Thanks for bringing this matter to discussion. discoDSP OB-Xd publishes the source code as required by the GPL3 license at https://github.com/reales/OB-Xd and the binaries don't contain any restrictions except AAX being only available on the paid version.

After extensive research, I found out that the condition of having to purchase discoDSP OB-Xd for commercial use (any activity in which you use it for financial gain) may be causing a original license breach so I have emailed the copyright owner to clear this up.

I appreciate your interest. The community needs more clear information. We'll wait.

I have good news, discoDSP updates the warning message from its webpage:
Demo includes fully functional Standalone app and VST3 plug-in.
AAX, Audio Unit, VST2 and LV2 are included with the registered version.
Source code and binaries are under GPL3 license.
The new message removes the ambiguous words non-commercial use. Remember, the developers has right to sell free software (GPL3 license allows). Please, consider to buy or to donate free software projects like this. So, with no doubt about the original confusion, go to make music, enjoy it and be happy and if you can make some money with your art don't forget the software that make it possible.

Thanks for all your effort discoDSP. Keep rolling.

So they've removed the free version completely, and only sell it now?

beely wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:35 pm So they've removed the free version completely, and only sell it now?
That's not how I read it: "Demo includes fully functional Standalone app and VST3 plug-in".
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:43 pm
beely wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:35 pm So they've removed the free version completely, and only sell it now?
That's not how I read it: "Demo includes fully functional Standalone app and VST3 plug-in".

Indeed, only the vst2 has been removed from the freeware, the vst3 is still free.

Yeager wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:51 pm

Indeed, only the vst2 has been removed from the freeware, the vst3 is still free.

The VST2 is removed COMPLETELY, I think. Many developers are opting for this, since they are not sure the current Steinberg license allows them to keep releasing VST2.
Fernando (FMR)

Except that the vst3 version isn't fully functional in Cubase as the hosts preset system only works with vst2

fmr wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:53 pm
Yeager wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:51 pm

The VST2 is removed COMPLETELY, I think. Many developers are opting for this, since they are not sure the current Steinberg license allows them to keep releasing VST2.

I read that the vst2 is still available, but only in the registered version.

They totally removed the AU version as well, so now as a 100% Mac Logic user, I can't use the "free" version at all.

Before people start getting out their pitch forks and lighting torches, there are some realities that need to be faced:

VST2.x development is going the way of the Dodo. All thanks to the mighty Steinberg. VST3, AU, and CLAP are going to end up being the main plugin standards for most hosts. It makes sense to end support for VST2 and focus on the prominent formats.

A lot of people don't fully understand the vision of GPL licensing. The old say goes, "It's free as in freedom, not free as in beer." A better way to look at it is that code freedom can be broken down into two types: Libre and gratis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_ve ... %20(libre).

The generally accepted open source model may offer the source code for free, but still provides for a developer to make money from the product. A lot of people new to open source aren't aware of the business model side of things, and expect everything to be provided for free. That's not exactly the way GPL'ed Open Source is meant to work, although it is entirely up to the developer to do so if desired.

The most common way developers make money under the GPL business model, while still ethically providing the source code is to Open Source the product, and provide the binaries and support for a cost. Even in the Audio realm this is the method a lot of developers for example: Ardour, Vital, Zrythm, and others. The program need never die if the developer dies or his company goes under. The source code is there for anyone to use and extend and support--even after the original developer is gone. If you are comfortable doing so, you can even compile the source yourself and support it yourself. But if you aren't, a reasonable fee by the developer that compiles and supports the binaries is not unexpected for those who understand and use open source regularly.

In all reality, Disco DSP's business model has been to maintain and improve all of his software. Bliss just got its periodic update. A different plugin will be next. While I can't speak for Disco DSP as a business, or George's full intentions, I can say that I have absolute confidence that his plugins will continue to receive support and improvements, including the VST3 version mentioned above. Your problems are likely to be fixed, I would suspect.

Those who are willing to support the open source model deserve our support. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Instruments”