The V chord is boring?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

exist01 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:15 pm So I've come to a point where I'm finding the V chord to be almost unusably basic. Part of it is that the major 7th interval for the V sounds very out of key and can't be used in most cases, and the dominant 7th interval doesn't sound great a lot of the time either. This makes it so that most of the time the V chord remains a basic major triad, which is super lame.
These are very odd things to see, really. I went right to a more objective set of replies, ignoring this, but maybe also for the room it can be examined for a second…
an interval in itself doesn't sound great a lot of the time? That’s a rather large chunk of sonorous possibility. Maybe what is meant is the dominant seventh harmony? The minor seventh interval is not that (“dominant”), through itself. “Dominant” is a function.
EG: minor “v” doesn’t perform this function. If it’s the Major/minor 7 chord with its tritone, it’s also a large chunk to discount so easily.

One seeking to write, in the beginning, needs experience with what’s gone on in the wide world of music for a time, first.

Ok now, give me some of those boring chords, and I will show you how to make it interesting. Let's say a piece of 30 seconds.
artie fichelle sounds natural

Bach and Beethoven seemed to make the V chord quite interesting, as did The Wombles with their seminal We Wish You A Wombling Merry Christmas.

I suppose it is possible that your art hasn't quite reached these heights, and that the problem lies with your use of the chord rather than the chord itself.

well, that’s of even higher probability than the prospect the OP shall never return

Remember children:
"when you are bored, you are boring to be with"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mindful voice leading can really unlock the potential of the V7 (i.e. Bmb6 D7 Gmaj13), but, as a guitarist, I find V9's to be a tad bit more subtle and way more useful. Great for secondary dominants too!

playerpiano wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:05 am Mindful voice leading can really unlock the potential of the V7 (i.e. Bmb6 D7 Gmaj13), but, as a guitarist, I find V9's to be a tad bit more subtle and way more useful. Great for secondary dominants too!
Just to piggyback on this one, it's also fun to take those more dense V chords but leaving off a pitch too. Sometimes easier said than done, but the lack of certain pitches in a chord makes it even more interesting!

atwoslottoaster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:02 am
playerpiano wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:05 am Mindful voice leading can really unlock the potential of the V7 (i.e. Bmb6 D7 Gmaj13), but, as a guitarist, I find V9's to be a tad bit more subtle and way more useful. Great for secondary dominants too!

Just to piggyback on this one, it's also fun to take those more dense V chords but leaving off a pitch too. Sometimes easier said than done, but the lack of certain pitches in a chord makes it even more interesting!
I agree! Omitting octaves and fifths can pull so much more color out of the thirds and sevenths.

A basic V chord can be boring. And it can not be boring. To me, it depends on the context given by the surrounding chords.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

it’s almost as though musical thought is contextual

F- the IV chord too, I hate that mugger fugger

Return to “Music Theory”