Hive 2 - GUI ReDesign Project 2023

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Delay Lama Dustbin Freek Monstrous Horror Synth OnePingOnly SkinMan

Further development has been made with the integration of a new super-sized sequencer and integration of an innovative and fun 3D automated cage system. On top of the new GUI design, this brings simplicity and a brilliant control system to Hive 2 for those using touchscreens. There is of course much more to come as I work hard to create a redesigned Hive like you've never seen or used before. :-)

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I mean even Urs added a comment about our feedback :lol: but ok...

Its really hard to judge your skins with such contrasts/hue and brightness besides being them tilted :)

Lbdunequest wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:25 am I mean even Urs added a comment about our feedback :lol: but ok...

Its really hard to judge your skins with such contrasts/hue and brightness besides being them tilted :)
Any issues with brightness and contrast will be addressed with some minor tweaking in the finalising stages, although even at this stage colours are already seeing some slight differences. The majority of the fonts of the UI will probably be bitmap for increased clarity (rather than script based), in addition to this as can be seen in the new sequencer. Right now the focus is on developing ideas and implementing them whilst problem-solving along the way. I'm aware of some things I need to come back to and refine in the design, but I'm more interested in what people would like to see atm and what people think of the ideas being implemented, so I can gauge how I can tweak them whilst making them work.

In the implementation of the new UI, I can say that the enlarged number dials make using the synth easy, even at a small size of UI within a DAW.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

What’s a 3D automated cage system

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:16 am Update 2 - 30th Jan 2023

Update 1 - 26th Jan 2023.

Start of project.
You've caught 'flat design disease'. Not to mention putting the skins at a strange angle, completely unlike how we actually see them in the synth. You can't tell what is and isn't a button, because of the insane desire to follow 'flat at all costs' design, no matter how unclear it is. The people saying it looks wonderful are the same people who follow politically correct bullshit in our modern societies, while our societies are being destroyed by insane government policies...

whut? :?

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:52 am What’s a 3D automated cage system
CAGE Refers to 'Controller Automated Graphics Engine', which integrates a new visual effects system in a 3D world view that you can manipulate in real-time. Which I'm creating as part of a new GUI system for Hive.

BenfordLaw wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:13 pm You've caught 'flat design disease'. Not to mention putting the skins at a strange angle, completely unlike how we actually see them in the synth. You can't tell what is and isn't a button, because of the insane desire to follow 'flat at all costs' design, no matter how unclear it is. The people saying it looks wonderful are the same people who follow politically correct bullshit in our modern societies, while our societies are being destroyed by insane government policies...
I don't think any GUI design, I've ever created, has been completely flat.

For anyone interested in the progress of the Hive project, I'm working on integrating the arpeggiator features, which has required manual re-scripting. There are some things that are too problematic in trying to use the editor like being unable to see the controls whilst moving stuff around. Don't know why that is. Doing lots of other things as well, of course.

You got to
Maaaaaake your own kind of muuusic
Siiing your ooown special soo-ong
Maaaaake your own kind of music
Even if nobody else sings alooooooong :phones:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:03 pm
CAGE Refers to 'Controller Automated Graphics Engine', which integrates a new visual effects system in a 3D world view that you can manipulate in real-time. Which I'm creating as part of a new GUI system for Hive.
There's no control in u-he scripting engine currently that would allow you to:
- manipulate in 3D
- animate in 3D

There's XY that allow 2D manipulation.
There's no control that allows 2D animation either.

plugmon fakes that with clever over-laying in monolith.

there's some interesting things in Zebra3, but that version of GUI backend is not available public yet i think.

Ploki wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:56 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:03 pm
There's no control in u-he scripting engine currently that would allow you to:
- manipulate in 3D
- animate in 3D

There's XY that allow 2D manipulation.
There's no control that allows 2D animation either.

plugmon fakes that with clever over-laying in monolith.

there's some interesting things in Zebra3, but that version of GUI backend is not available public yet i think.
I devised a way to do a 3D like, effect a few years ago whilst I was doing a big Zebralette project using layers (the 3D animated, Tron inspired film I made for it was a bigger project for it though).. Currently, I have a new working system to do some cool things, which is a bit more exciting. :)

I've almost finished the sequencer section, of Hive 2 but it's not been an easy process.

https://youtu.be/0nccHiXRptM

Here we go again
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

This is my first post in over a month on KVR, I don't know when my next one will be, there's some good news and some bad news. Starting with the bad news.....

It's taking far longer than I expected it would take to do what I had planned from the outset. This is due to my own stubbornness to give up on implementing certain features I wanted to include but simply couldn't get working correctly in the scripting process. Other factors include bug fixing and learning new scripting routines, so for example, your code may be perfectly formed but if it's in the wrong place, it simply doesn't work properly or at all. And other occasions where you missed something in testing and need to go back to a previous script version and re-adapt it to what's new, and not forgetting the learning curve in which to learn the new eccentricities of stuff you've never scripted before to get stuff to work.

The good news, is that I have been able to do what I had planned from the beginning, and then some, whilst crafting not just a new Hive GUI, but a new Hive GUI experience, which integrates many of the features Hive has in a new, unique and exciting way. For me, this is about expanding Hive in an evolution of how I've changed Hive previously, rather than necessarily changing something because one can. If it works, it works, so leave it be. With that said though, there, has been significant progress of late in the design and development of things. Whilst the main front end of the GUI has seen many design changes there are currently, not just 2 sequencers but now an additional third being worked on and possibly a fourth, and a fifth as I've managed to expanded Hive. The arpeggiator system has been integrated. The browsers have been redesigned as well as the Midi Table / Preference whilst, a cool new visual effects system and additional GUI control system is being worked on as well and more importantly made to work. The system I'm creating is also about integrating everything together in new ways. This is also the fun, and clever part about all this, which you'll discover in a future reveal video.

The process in which to do all this, and not to mention the time to figure out all this on one's own, without help is pretty significant, but that's a challenge that is pretty rewarding when you get stuff to work. The other hard part is taking what you have in your imagination and making things work with the restraints you have in the toolbox.

It's fun, but can also be highly frustrating also.

mi-os wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:07 pm My two cents:

I think the factory style/look is fine as is. The issue is the symmetric/mirrored layout IMO. It just doesn't work that good. There is a reason why you don't find such layouts very often. Although i don't think it's a showstopper.

So if it were my job i would concentrate on the layout/placement.
Agreed. The look is fine, it’s just designed to look cool, not logical. We tend to read left to right, so we expect a flow that goes that way.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:28 am
mi-os wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:07 pm My two cents:

I think the factory style/look is fine as is. The issue is the symmetric/mirrored layout IMO. It just doesn't work that good. There is a reason why you don't find such layouts very often. Although i don't think it's a showstopper.

So if it were my job i would concentrate on the layout/placement.
Agreed. The look is fine, it’s just designed to look cool, not logical. We tend to read left to right, so we expect a flow that goes that way.
I've tried a few different skins, but I keep going back to the original. Despite being frequently thrown off by the symmetrical layout, I find it to be easiest on the eyes.

Return to “Instruments”