Is there a general equal-tempered tunings theory?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was searching a little bit about it, but for now I've only found advice for harmonic sounds, with the just octave as the interval of equivalence. I'm wondering if there are also practical theories for inharmonic-derived tunings?
Tachy Bunker /experimental music, and music production tutorials here :help:

Ehrm... this?
wikipedia wrote: An equal temperament is a musical temperament or tuning system, which approximates just intervals by dividing an octave (or other interval) into equal steps. This means the ratio of the frequencies of any adjacent pair of notes is the same, which gives an equal perceived step size as pitch is perceived roughly as the logarithm of frequency.
[...]
Other equal temperaments divide the octave differently. For example, some music has been written in 19-TET and 31-TET, while the Arab tone system uses 24-TET.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

The book definition: inharmonicity is the degree to which the frequencies of overtones (also known as partials or partial tones) depart from whole multiples of the fundamental frequency (harmonic series).

Technically the only true harmonic in 12tET is that octave, @ 2:1.
Conventionally the 12 represent the natural rational intervals of a “just” intonation. (EG: 3:2 representing a perfect fifth, while the 12tET P5 is a couple of cents sharp of that, in an ‘irrational’ mathematical construct, <12th root of 2>.

I’m sorry, I am not aware of a tuning which is derived strictly speaking by the concept of inharmonicity. Any equal temperament within a 2:1 or octave equivalent framework is a product of an n square root of two equation and will contain intervals that in sensu stricto are not harmonic, but the term inharmonic has connotations which make me hesitant to ascribe it like it means a lot to these temperaments. The overtone series offers a lot of variance from “normal” concords once we get past the first few partials, and featuring the higher orders as if amplifying them far past their subtle spicing in an instrument has been enough of an alternative set for me I suppose. I should say <I don’t know>.

I think of the word inharmonicity in terms of say cymbals or the harmonic content of non-pitched percussion, drums and such. So for me a music theory concept as such pertaining here suggests maths I ain’t got.

Return to “Music Theory”