DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

moss wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:40 am
dofosho wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:00 pm First of all Moss I must express my gratitude for you creating these cool controller scripts for Bitwig! I'm lucky that Bitwig is my favorite DAW at the moment. I must ask though, I have friends who were wondering if it was possible to create scripts like this for Logic Pro X. How difficult would it be to achieve?
Up to my knowledge Logic has no open API to do such things.
But it has an environment. There is the place do adapt a controller. Though it follows a data flow paradigm which I prefer much over lines of code programming, its hard to wrap your head around it… My experience with it is also more than 20 years old, but I found out its still there…

Hi Moss,

thanks a lot for your work, I used Generic Flexi quite a lot over the years even with bizzare old hardware!

I got an APC40 MK1 and wondering if is possible to change the colors of the buttons since I have a red green color deficiency. The green of a playing clip is the main issue for me. I'm okayish with java / javascript, not sure if I can change it on my own.

Thanks again!
Dicey

MDicey wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:31 am Hi Moss,

thanks a lot for your work, I used Generic Flexi quite a lot over the years even with bizzare old hardware!

I got an APC40 MK1 and wondering if is possible to change the colors of the buttons since I have a red green color deficiency. The green of a playing clip is the main issue for me. I'm okayish with java / javascript, not sure if I can change it on my own.

Thanks again!
Dicey
If you know how to build the java code, it is pretty easy to change in this file:
https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMos ... nager.java

moss wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:43 am If you know how to build the java code, it is pretty easy to change in this file:
https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMos ... nager.java
Thanks, wonderful! This should work out, I'll just follow your tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSiF7tmkLHE

tammy1001 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:10 pm Does anyone have an issue where the Akai FIRE is stuck in a test pattern showing off its pretty lights? Mine is sweeping through every light and every color, if I press any button, DrivenByMoss still works to drive Bitwig but visually it just resets the test pattern again with everything lit up. Maybe nothing to do with DrivenByMoss but not sure.
Its worked out of the box for months but suddenly looks like its on display at a music store. Anyone know what this is or if it is software or hardware switch?
I could find this with some googleing but do not have the device at hand to test:
"I am able to manually turn this on by holding down tap + overview + shift + alt and plugging the unit in."

hey @moss and thanks for providing your awesome scripts :)

I've bought the old Icon Qcon Pro + Icon Qcon Ex and I am wondering which script I should use for that.
Bitwig offers scripts for G2 and X version, but not the old one so I am not sure which one to choose or if your script is even better for using them.

Could u tell me which one would fit the best for these controllers? Thank you

psydave wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:51 am hey @moss and thanks for providing your awesome scripts :)

I've bought the old Icon Qcon Pro + Icon Qcon Ex and I am wondering which script I should use for that.
Bitwig offers scripts for G2 and X version, but not the old one so I am not sure which one to choose or if your script is even better for using them.

Could u tell me which one would fit the best for these controllers? Thank you
Mine :D You get much more configuration options and functinality. Check out the DrivenByMoss manual for all the details!

Thank u very much. I will use your script then. I just thought that there could be problems because u only mentioned QCon Pro X at your website, not the version 1.

Awesome can't wait to test these controllers with your script :)

Hi Moss,

As Maschine MK2's DrivenByMoss 19.2.1 template monitor shows response to poly AT, I would like to try and use it with soft synths, but couldn't manage to deal with it.

I'm using Bitwig Studio 4.4, and tried with SurgeXT, CS-80 V3, Aalto, XILS 505 and few other poly AT capable soft synths.

"convert poly AT to" -> "Poly AT" gives no response
"convert poly AT to" -> "Channel AT" sends mono AT

Did I miss any config stuff ?

Thank you for your lights !

Hi sir

Have you tried using Chatgpt to help write some more advanced scripting or solve problems you have encountered? Apparently you can train it by feeding it a bunch of data first then ask it to solve x.

psydave wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 am Thank u very much. I will use your script then. I just thought that there could be problems because u only mentioned QCon Pro X at your website, not the version 1.

Awesome can't wait to test these controllers with your script :)
All devices which support the Mackie MCU protocol are supported. There are some device which get some (necessary) additional support as a template but you can also configure all settings individually to match the features of your controller.

Flutchy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:59 am Hi Moss,

As Maschine MK2's DrivenByMoss 19.2.1 template monitor shows response to poly AT, I would like to try and use it with soft synths, but couldn't manage to deal with it.

I'm using Bitwig Studio 4.4, and tried with SurgeXT, CS-80 V3, Aalto, XILS 505 and few other poly AT capable soft synths.

"convert poly AT to" -> "Poly AT" gives no response
"convert poly AT to" -> "Channel AT" sends mono AT

Did I miss any config stuff ?

Thank you for your lights !
Thanks for reporting! It seems the template for the Maschine Mk2 (also the one for the Maschine Studio) has an error. The aftertouch notes are off by 2 octaves. Will be fixed in the next update!

Until then you can either fix it yourself or get the corrected template from GitHub:
https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMos ... hine%20Mk2

melodyz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:37 am Hi sir

Have you tried using Chatgpt to help write some more advanced scripting or solve problems you have encountered? Apparently you can train it by feeding it a bunch of data first then ask it to solve x.
I actually did a lot of tests with it in the last weeks (I am a computer scientist). My conclusion so far is, that it is very interesting for "creative work", e.g. getting inspiration for song lyrics. For things that need to be 100% correct it is pretty bad. So far, I wasted more time trying to get some useable code out of it instead then writing it myself. It regularily makes up methods and constants that do not exist which is especially for beginners a big issue. It can be helpful for experienced programmers which want to get into a new programming language or API. But a proper tutorial is still the better solution and more correct.

Observed on the Launchpad Mini : Default track volume in Bitwig is set to 0db. Upon adding a new track pressing the lowest pad for that track on the Launchpad does nothing. The Launchpad is sleeping. It has to be waken up by pressing just once the top pad for that track. After that, pressing the lower pad will bring it down to zero immediately.

Would it be possible to have the pads reacting immediately to a pad press for setting the volume of a track to 0 instead of having to 'wake up' the Launchpad by pressing a top pad and only then being able to press the bottom pad to set a track to 0 ?
Last edited by mevla on Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moss wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:48 pm
AFranke wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:34 pm Moin Jürgen,
since I finally canceled some other projects, I have time to do my musical stuff again, so I spend more time doing things in Bitwig. I realized in the last few days, that I have more problems with my controllers (Push 1/SLMK3). In unregular intervals and while I'm playing, all controller scripts seem to do something like a reset. That means, the Push 1 and SLMK3 just lose their focus, and the track which was armed and I was performing on then becomes unarmed so I can't play anymore. The Push 1 shows "Please select a track..." and if I remember right the SLMK3 leaves the IN CONTROL mode. I can't reproduce it on purpose, but it happens again and again. It's quite a show-stopper if you are losing your focused instrument while performing. :?

Best regards
Andreas
Sounds like the devices restart?! Could it be a power issue with an USB hub?

Sorry for my late answer, normally I get an email, if there is answer from you, but it didn't
happen this time.

No, it is no power issue. I also contacted Bitwig-Support on this. I had to send them the Bitwig log files so they can see there is no issue with the USB connection of the controllers. But I can see in the Controller Script Console that your extension first removes MIDIOUT2 and then immediately adds them again after that. This only happens with Controllers controlled DrivenByMoss, other controllers on the same USB-Hub and physical Port are unaffected. I also tested the Push and SLMK3 separated on different Hubs and different Ports (direct connection to the Motherboard), I tried two different (active of course) quality USB Hubs (around 100 € each) with 70 and 90 Watt power supplies. In addition to that, both controllers also had their dedicated power supplies attached, all the time. In the Controller Script Console, you can also see, that this happens with exclusively to the MIDIOUT2 connections, the MIDI-IN ports of the connection are NOT affected. This is why I come to the conclusion, that this problem has no relation to buggy hardware. I also ran the controllers for some days in Ableton Live and had no problems there, and as I said before, Bitwig support said that the connections of the controllers are stable, and there is no abortion of the connection from Bitwig Studios' view.
Hi Andreas, ein Fehler dazu ist auch in den Logfiles nicht zu sehen. Wie lange hat es gedauert, bis der Fehler auftrat? Das logfile geht von 20:36 bis 22:10? Bei welcher Aktion genau trat der Fehler auf und ist es jetzt vielleicht reproduzierbar?
And if you ask, no I can't force the problem to happen. It happens totally randomly.

Best regards
Andreas
Bitwig_Studio_tIc2BDC0WT.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Controller Scripting”