instrument selector bug

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

8 knob matrix don't follow the instrument selected with automation lane. exemple
Layer 1 : FM4 is assigned to a perfom page
Layer 2 : FM4 is assingned to another perform page
=> the instrument selector instrument automation lane select the good FM4 instrument but not the corresponding 8 knobs matrix, confusing when performing live when the knob of each instrument is not assigned to the same parameters.

The V5 Beta 7 changeling says:

"Improved behavior when remote controls should follow any selection"

However, I just checked your use case and it is still as you describe.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:16 pm The V5 Beta 7 changeling says:

Thanks for trying with beta 7 which I can't access, my update plan is over.
What a pity, I already post about this bug months ago and it has still not been solved :o This makes Bitwig confusing to play live with plugins !

dupont wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:31 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:16 pm The V5 Beta 7 changeling says:

Thanks for trying with beta 7 which I can't access, my update plan is over.
What a pity, I already post about this bug months ago and it has still not been solved :o This makes Bitwig confusing to play live with plugins !
Ahh... I was leaving it to you to send in a bug report... but since you don't have beta 7, I'll do it!

I thought you got the betas and final version if your plan included the first beta?

I read somewhere this had changed because a couple of years ago it wasn’t like this?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

dupont wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:50 pm 8 knob matrix don't follow the instrument selected with automation lane. exemple
Layer 1 : FM4 is assigned to a perfom page
Layer 2 : FM4 is assingned to another perform page
=> the instrument selector instrument automation lane select the good FM4 instrument but not the corresponding 8 knobs matrix, confusing when performing live when the knob of each instrument is not assigned to the same parameters.
If you would... explain more clearly what you mean.

I was just trying this out again in Beta 7 with Instrument Selector with 2 FM4's - one in each layer and I realized I don't actually know what you were doing with automation lanes.

I'm seeing some odd behavior with just switching layers. If I add the first layer with an FM4, select the Noise Remote Page, then duplicate FM4 to add a second layer, then using notes to switch active layers, it always goes back to default operators remote. I am unable to set 2 layers to different remote pages.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:41 pm
If you would... explain more clearly what you mean.

I was just trying this out again in Beta 7 with Instrument Selector with 2 FM4's - one in each layer and I realized I don't actually know what you were doing with automation lanes.

I'm seeing some odd behavior with just switching layers. If I add the first layer with an FM4, select the Noise Remote Page, then duplicate FM4 to add a second layer, then using notes to switch active layers, it always goes back to default operators remote. I am unable to set 2 layers to different remote pages.
not easy to explain with words (French is not my native language), I'll try to make a screen recording. Thanks for sending the bug report to Bitwig.

so here is the vid.
I stacked 3 FM4 inside fx selector.
Whatever controler preset I select, this preset is set for all 3 FM4 instances, why can't I assign a preset for each FM4 instance ?
When I automate the instrument selector index from 1 to 3, all 3 FM4 instances switch to the operator preset, which I had not set ! :dog: :o

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vNbn9v ... sp=sharing

Wouldn‘t you rather select the remote pages on each FM4 instance instead of the selector? (Not sure if I got right what you wanted to show…)

dupont wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:11 pm so here is the vid.
I'm out of town for the next week or so and will check the video when I return. The subject interests me.

You would like to have a different remote control page per instrument and not the same for the whole instrument selector, is that correct?

I don't think what you're trying to achieve is possible (at least the way you would like to) and I wouldn't expect the instrument selector to behave the way you want to to be honest. Definitely not a bug. If you want to control each instrument separately you should use their remote control pages not the global one. Again, if I understood correctly what is your goal.

NomadMonad wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:28 pm You would like to have a different remote control page per instrument and not the same for the whole instrument selector, is that correct?

I don't think what you're trying to achieve is possible (at least the way you would like to) and I wouldn't expect the instrument selector to behave the way you want to to be honest. Definitely not a bug. If you want to control each instrument separately you should use their remote control pages not the global one. Again, if I understood correctly what is your goal.
If you have the 2 layers in the instrument selector and you adjust a parameter in the FM4 in layer 1 and adjust the same parameter to a different value in FM4 in the second layer, switching layers in the instrument selector will show the correct remote page cause you can see the macro value change. So it is not impossible, just doesn’t function reliably.

It may not be a bug, but then it is a sloppy design that is not well thought out.

Really? I did a quick test here and the preset page for remote controls on the instrument selector (not the individual layers) stays the same whenever I switch layer. And I wouldn't really expect it to change since it's supposed to be for global controls. Maybe it's just me

NomadMonad wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:06 am Really? I did a quick test here and the preset page for remote controls on the instrument selector (not the individual layers) stays the same whenever I switch layer. And I wouldn't really expect it to change since it's supposed to be for global controls. Maybe it's just me
The remote controls show the parameters of the nested device

dupont wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:11 pm so here is the vid.
I stacked 3 FM4 inside fx selector.
Whatever controler preset I select, this preset is set for all 3 FM4 instances, why can't I assign a preset for each FM4 instance ?
When I automate the instrument selector index from 1 to 3, all 3 FM4 instances switch to the operator preset, which I had not set ! :dog: :o

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vNbn9v ... sp=sharing
I finally had time to look at your video.

If you use the Device Pages in each FM-4, then when you switch layers, you will see the selected layer there. And yeah, they do not switch in the Selector Device. I'm not sure whether that is a bug or limitation in implementation.

Now I understand better and will send in the report.

Return to “Bitwig”