DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Hey Moss, I ended up getting a push 2 and I'm guessing your scripts are already integrated with Bitwig. But I'm having an issue where most of the buttons aren't highlighted so I can't see what anything says unless I put a flash light to it. Only the beat division buttons light up green and if I press any button, it will highlight. But I want it to highlight all the buttons regardless if I press it or not. Is that possible? I see in your videos it's highlighted.

Okay so I thought my issue was I didn't have the latest DrivenByMoss.bwextension file so I replaced the old one with the 4.3+ DrivenByMoss.bwextension file. Now things are worse! Now the script didn't auto detect the push controller. Then when I try to manually add the controller with Generic hardware vendor -> "Ableton Push 2" input, it doesn't look like anything is mapped or doesn't look like the options when I had it when it auto detected your script. I used Generic hardware vendor because I don't Ableton on the list of hardware vendors.

Now I'm in double trouble.

So now I replace the new DrivenByMoss.bwextension with my old DrivenByMoss.bwextension file and now it acts like before. Bitwig automatically detects my Push and the controls work well. It's just the lighting that I'm trying to fix. So I'm guessing the 4.3+ script doesn't detect or work at all.

By the way I'm using Bitwig 4.4.9 to test everything.

Well I think the latest version was designed with Bitwig 5.0 beta in mind, so thats probably responsible for some of the problems you had with latest version.

SteveElbows wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:44 am Well I think the latest version was designed with Bitwig 5.0 beta in mind, so thats probably responsible for some of the problems you had with latest version.
I didn't use the latest script version though. I used two scripts to test the push controller, one was an older script I was using for my m-audio and the 4.3+ moss script to troubleshoot my problem which made it worse. All this was tested on Bitwig 4.4.9.

questionaire wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:34 pm
krankyone wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:54 am Hi- With Beta 8 I'm having buggy behavior with parameters on my Novation SL MK 3. Most of the time they don't display at all. My Push 2 is working as expected.
If I open up the controller settings using the little keyboard in the upper right, I can select the track and device and then it displays and acts correctly. However, if I change tracks or devices in the usual way (by controller or mouse), the SL does not update to reflect the new parameters until I manually choose the device as above. I have the mode set to "Any track/device selection" Thanks
This behaviour i have exactly but then with my Novation Launchkey 37 mk3.....i have contacted Bitwig and explained maybe you can do the same? It seems a bug from Bitwig itself because the default script in Bitwig behaves exactly the same.

See my post here above.

Edit: I have sent an screenshot from your and mine bug reporting here to the beta support.
Solved with beta 10 which is available now

Alban18 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:46 am I didn't use the latest script version though. I used two scripts to test the push controller, one was an older script I was using for my m-audio and the 4.3+ moss script to troubleshoot my problem which made it worse. All this was tested on Bitwig 4.4.9.
Oops, sorry for not paying attention properly to what you said about the version.

Hello Jürgen,

Something very basic about starting and stopping clips with the Launchpad (Mini). Would it be possible to, in session mode, to simply press a button, it starts blinking, to start a clip and press it again to stop it ? Does the Launchpad keeps the states of the buttons and can be queried about them ? Can Bitwig be queried about the state of a clip ? Having the same button for start/stop is more straightforward than having recourse to a function and a page designed for that. It could all be in session mode, the same button starting and stopping a clip.

mevla wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:13 pm Hello Jürgen,

Something very basic about starting and stopping clips with the Launchpad (Mini). Would it be possible to, in session mode, to simply press a button, it starts blinking, to start a clip and press it again to stop it ? Does the Launchpad keeps the states of the buttons and can be queried about them ? Can Bitwig be queried about the state of a clip ? Having the same button for start/stop is more straightforward than having recourse to a function and a page designed for that. It could all be in session mode, the same button starting and stopping a clip.
Did you have a look into the new project clip launcher settings? Extremely powerfull with the launchpad see the tutorial from Thavius Beck. That is with the native launchpad driver from Bitwig i'm not sure if the clip launcher settings works aswell with the Drivenbymoss script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lniO-QQCdI8
Last edited by questionaire on Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

hi Moss made a video on how to switch device presets to keyboard keys using an old script for TouchOSC it works really bad already https://youtu.be/4qjfTtze-O0 and works only on the first device in the chain(( I remember our last conversation about the fact that the API was changed, but it works! Could you write a script only with this function? :hail:

SteveElbows wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:36 pm
moss wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:56 am
SteveElbows wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:44 pm I dont know if it could be relevant but may as well mention that Push 3 does make its audio interface accessible over the USB connection too, and I dont know if that could have any impact on 'interface numbers' or anything like that within the USB system (you can probably tell I dont really know what Im talking about in this respect).
So, did you change anything else besides the product ID in the Python script?
No, only the MIDI port names stuff which wouldnt affect the display side of things.

I only included that subsequent speculation in case there are some key differences in how your display code works compared to how that python thing works.

I'm happy to experiment with your code if some experiments are required on my end in order to gain clues about whats wrong with your initial attempt. I'd just need a few pointers on where exactly I should be looking.
I will get a Push 3 but delivery time is up to 3-4 months. So, this will take a while. Until then, still lots of work to do to fully support Bitwig 5.

SteveElbows wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:38 pm OK I went back and tried the standard frame header with the Push 2, and it makes the colours the same as what I was seeing on the Push 3. So I guess you had changed the ways colour worked by using a different frame header, and that frame header is not supported on the Push 3.
Thanks, that's helpful! As I already wrote, I need the real device for testing first.

wvshpr wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:50 pm With the Game Controller script is it possible to make the joysticks behave so that they have a default value of 64?

Currently they always go from 0-127 no matter the direction. Wouldn't the expected behavior be that they center at 64 and go from 64-127 when pushing it to the right and 64-0 when pushing it to the left?
Noted.

wvshpr wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:48 pm Excuse me if this isn't covered elsewhere. In Moss' video about the Electra One he shows Session Mode. In his examples he shows how to create MIDI clips, but can it also be used to start the recording of an empty clip (audio or MIDI)?
In the CLIP area of the Transport page:
* **RECORD**: Start recording of a clip in the currently selected slot.

mevla wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:29 pm However I do think that's not the easiest way to start/stop clips. The easiest way would be by pressing again a button that's running a clip.

Press a button once, the clip starts and the button blinks.

Press the same button again, the clip stops.

And it would free up a column so that more clips could be shown without scrolling.
You can now configure the clips with the new ALT option to be stopped. With the Launchpad you can press the pad in combination with SHIFT to execute the ALT action.

Return to “Controller Scripting”