How to properly use 44.1 kHz audio samples in a project with higher sample rate

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiouser720 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:43 pm 2. What happens if I use a sampler? For instance I load all my drum samples into Kontakt in a project where the sample rate is set to 48 kHz. I don't hear any audible artefacts. Is it the sampler that is responsible for the conversation in this scenario?
Yes. You may not hear it, but what you get will be similar to this:

Native Instruments Kontakt 5.71 R35 > Sweep
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:50 am96 to 48 conversion simply discards every other sample and is artifact-free, no matter which converter you use.
Is this really the case? See below:

- Live 11.2.10, running at 48k
- Source file is Swept_float.wav (96k) from the test files provided at src.infinitewave.ca

HQ rate conversion enabled:

Normal rate conversion (HQ button disabled):

:eek: Maybe not!

You'll notice though, that the result is at least very clean, with the exception of the aliasing of frequencies above Nyquist. That is because the conversion from 96kHz to 48kHz itself is very simple with absolutely no interpolation or rounding error.

I just (wrongly) assumed that any SRC would pass the audio through a Nyquist filter before converting. It looks like what's happening is frequencies above 24kHz were left in place(!) so the remaining half of the data is folding back.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Bitwig doesnt convert the sample rate and this leads to clipping on channels. Does it make sense to use 48khz over 44.1khz if all samples are still unconverted?

Return to “Production Techniques”