How to properly use 44.1 kHz audio samples in a project with higher sample rate

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I want to work in 48 kHz but all my audio samples are 44.1 kHz. What is the best way to get around this?

1. If I just drag audio into the project then my DAW will automatically convert 44.1 to 48 but I want to avoid this conversation.
2. What happens if I use a sampler? For instance I load all my drum samples into Kontakt in a project where the sample rate is set to 48 kHz. I don't hear any audible artefacts. Is it the sampler that is responsible for the conversation in this scenario?
3. Are there any good drum sample libraries online that are originally recorded at 48 kHz. Does Splice do this or do they have a search option for 48 kHz?

Many thanks

Why do you want to avoid this conversion? It’s just math, it seems a difficult calculation for you but no more difficult than 2+2 for a computer/DAW.

audiouser720 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:43 pm Hi, I want to work in 48 kHz but all my audio samples are 44.1 kHz. What is the best way to get around this?

1. If I just drag audio into the project then my DAW will automatically convert 44.1 to 48 but I want to avoid this conversation.
2. What happens if I use a sampler? For instance I load all my drum samples into Kontakt in a project where the sample rate is set to 48 kHz. I don't hear any audible artefacts. Is it the sampler that is responsible for the conversation in this scenario?
3. Are there any good drum sample libraries online that are originally recorded at 48 kHz. Does Splice do this or do they have a search option for 48 kHz?

Many thanks
When I'm in Cubase I often let Cubase do the conversion on import. Works great. A DAW like Bitwig or Ableton will do the conversion for you on the fly, although it might take a small hit on CPU and sound quality. Small, as in pretty tiny and probably inaudible especially in a project.

That said, I always work at 48 kHz and I convert my sample libraries to 48 kHz using the iZotope RX Resample module. You gain nothing from the audio quality or content perspective, and yr samples won't sound better, but if you use crappy sample rate conversion they could sound worse. You're basically just trying to use a quality converter that won't screw up your audio.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

audiouser720 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:43 pm Hi, I want to work in 48 kHz but all my audio samples are 44.1 kHz. What is the best way to get around this?

Many thanks
1. You can convert sample with your favorite resampler before importing to DAW.
2. Yes, sampler does the conversion in that scenario.

RyanM12 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:59 pm Why do you want to avoid this conversion? It’s just math, it seems a difficult calculation for you but no more difficult than 2+2 for a computer/DAW.
Just what billcarroll said. It can affect the sound quality - depending on the conversion algorithm. I do this in Pro Tools. It may not be audible in most cases, but my OCD will never let me get away with this…

Full disclosure - I am not doing this because I think that higher sample rate will result in better quality, absolutely not. It’s predominantly for compatibility reasons as my final output will need to be 48 kHz.

DNnX wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:00 pm

Many thanks
1. You can convert sample with your favorite resampler before importing to DAW.
2. Yes, sampler does the conversion in that scenario.
And then I imagine the conversion quality of the sampler varies amongst the samplers, just like the conversion algorithm in DAWs.

billcarroll wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:13 pm

Many thanks
When I'm in Cubase I often let Cubase do the conversion on import. Works great. A DAW like Bitwig or Ableton will do the conversion for you on the fly, although it might take a small hit on CPU and sound quality. Small, as in pretty tiny and probably inaudible especially in a project.

That said, I always work at 48 kHz and I convert my sample libraries to 48 kHz using the iZotope RX Resample module. You gain nothing from the audio quality or content perspective, and yr samples won't sound better, but if you use crappy sample rate conversion they could sound worse. You're basically just trying to use a quality converter that won't screw up your audio.
Thanks, so has iZotope RX got the best sample rate conversions quality of all?

audiouser720 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:23 pm
billcarroll wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:13 pm

Many thanks

Thanks, so has iZotope RX got the best sample rate conversions quality of all?
iZotope is top notch, and as good as it gets I'd say.

Also you can look at a top quality free option, Voxengo r8brain

https://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

You can also do some testing after conversion. If it nulls, it nulls. I'd imagine you can't go wrong with iZotope or r8brain.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I'd like to do this also but converted samples sound awful in FL.

What happens when I use a convolution reverb which has got its IRs recorder at 44.1 kHz and my project sample rate is 48 kHz?

Would it sound different, would the reverb upsample the IR files? I use SIR3.

audiouser720 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:42 pm What happens when I use a convolution reverb which has got its IRs recorder at 44.1 kHz and my project sample rate is 48 kHz?

Would it sound different, would the reverb upsample the IR files? I use SIR3.
Generally, don’t worry if the sample rate of the IRs is different than the sample rate of your project. Your plugin takes care of the conversion.

Everything you always wanted to know about sample rates and cab simulation Impulse Responses

https://melodiefabriek.com/sound-tech/s ... imulation/

You can often find the IRs in different sample rates, like these free Bricasti M7 impulse response files

https://samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impu ... nse-files/
Bitwig Certified Trainer

When Sony devised the 48k sample rate for DAT, a number that is mathematically incompatible with 44.1k was deliberately chosen (to prevent CD duplication, since Sony had also become the world’s largest record label the same year with the acquisition of CBS/Columbia/Arista/RCA/Epic.)

So I would recommend using a high quality samplerate converter prior to importing. Acon Digital and Wavelab Pro both have excellent SRC. So does Voxengo r8brain PRO and iZotope RX.

If you’re using Cubase or Ableton, they’re just as good as the best standalone converts, so there’s no need to use one of the above if either is your DAW.

Compare samplerate converters here:
http://src.infinitewave.ca/
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:19 am If you’re using Cubase or Ableton, they’re just as good as the best standalone converts, so there’s no need to use one of the above if either is your DAW.

Compare samplerate converters here:
http://src.infinitewave.ca/
Specifically when rendering, Ableton uses SoX, which is super high quality. But when simply resampling audio files used in a project to a new sample rate, Ableton's SRC is not as good, and unfortunately the Ableton listings on the Infinite Wave site don't reflect this subtle difference.

The Ableton Live 9.11, 9.73 and 10.1 listings show the SoX resampler which is used on rendering only, i.e. Ableton will give you this SRC performance when:
1. Ableton in running at 96k
2. The Ableton project contains audio files at 96k
3. You render the project at 44.1k (resampling happens at this step, using Sox)

The Ableton Live 9.03, 8.2, and 7,8 High Quality listings accurately show the resampling performance when Ableton does resampling within a project, e.g. when:
1. Ableton is running at 44.1k
2. The Ableton project contains audio files at 96k (Ableton is resampling the audio files at this step, using the lower quality algorithm)
3. You render the project at 44.1k. If you render at another sample rate, SoX is used at this step, but doesn't negate the sample rate conversion that already happened in the previous step.

:tu: good info

For the record, what I do is I always record at 96kHz (to avoid audible ripple from the ADC Nyquist filter) and if I need more CPU, I change the song’s samplerate in Studio One to 48kHz (or 44.1 if necessary). Studio One non-destructively converts on the fly during playback. I actually can’t hear any difference at all, but I make sure to change back to 96kHz before mixdown, which I’ll resample to 48kHz or 44.1 as needed. 96 to 48 conversion simply discards every other sample and is artifact-free, no matter which converter you use. But I’ll use Acon for either 48 or 44.1 conversion.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Production Techniques”