Running Legacy MuLab PPC

Official support for: mutools.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First things first! I know that I am trying to run a legacy version of MuLab, so I know this is not supported. That being said, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions, because I'm a bit stuck.

Here's the situation:
I have a 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5, and I want to do a thing with MuLab running on this old Mac. For those that are not familiar, this machine is running the PowerPC architecture, which is what Apple computers ran before they switched to Intel processors in the mid 2000's ish.

Technically, I could run M5 on Windows, but I want to run this on a period accurate machine. It's more of a principle of the thing situation.

I was in middle school when I discovered MuLab 6 or 7 (which were still new at the time), so my personal knowledge of MuLab's history is admittedly a bit fuzzy, but considering the timelines between Apple computers and MuLab, I figured MuLab's OSX versions, if I went back far enough, would support PPC, rather than Intel or Apple's Silicon. As far as I can tell, I believe the latest version that supports the PPC architecture is 5.

From a while ago, I do remember getting it to run once, but I must have lost that specific install after a reformat or something, because since then, it has refused to run, even after directly downloading the archive of both M4 and M5 from the archive server to my PMG5.

I have tried MuLab 4 and 5, both of which definitely SHOULD run on PPC, but BOTH are complaining about not running on the architecture of the PMG5. Those instances never touched Windows, Linux, or Intel MacOS in any way. I tested 10.5.9 (Sorbet, an unofficial update), 10.5.8, and 10.4.6. It is specifically an architecture error, not other types of running errors, though one of my test copies of MuLab seperate from the fresh ones complains about being broken, rather than an architecture error.

Considering M4 is also not cooperating, I'm not convinced that this is a Universal Binary issue. Weirder still, after using the Quarantine Remover tool on my 2012 Mac Mini, MacOS 10.14 can run M5 just fine, a copy of the same files that won't run on the PMG5. After this result, I pulled the files from 10.14 and put them on 10.4 for shiggles and still got the architecture error.

As far as I can tell, it should just be double click to run, just like it is on Windows and Intel MacOS. I've experienced errors like this with MacOS version mismatches before, but I've never gotten an architecture error on something that definitely should run on a G5. Other than trying MuLab on the G5, I've never experienced issues like this on any other Intel based machine. Any ideas?
Last edited by CobaltHeart on Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

I could have sworn that 5 was PPC compatible, but maybe I was wrong. I'll see what I can do with some of the earlier versions and go from there

I must be mistaken or something, because I could have sworn M5 was PPC compatible, but after some testing, the newest version that will actually run on the PMG5 is M3. That's a bit of a bummer, but I could work with that.

TL:DR, unless I am mistaken, the latest version of MuLab that is PPC compatible is M3, not M5 or M4. Not sure what wires got crossed but at least I found something that works.

Return to “MUTOOLS”