post-synth effect to control timbre/loudness?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New linnstrument owner here. I'm finding it rather tedious to set up each of my synths to respond to the Y and Z midi. Plus not all synths agree on CC1 vs CC74, or poly vs channel pressure.

What if there were an audio effect that came after the synth that altered both the timbre and the loudness? Call it the YZ effect. Sort of a modular synth approach. It would only work for mono sounds. (Unless maybe if your synth has multi-channel output?)

If the synth doesn't pass thru the midi, you have to set up another track. In Reaper, you can set up a send that's pre-fader and post-fx to a 2nd track that would have the YZ effect. Then set the fader to zero on the 1st track. The 2nd track gets midi directly from the Linnstrument.

Does an effect like this already exist? I tried to simulate this with a compressor by setting the wet level to zero and midi-learning the dry level to CC11. It worked, but it was glitchy.

Crazy idea: perhaps Surge XT could be the YZ effect? Since it's open source, could it be modified to receive audio instead of generate it?

TallKite wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:30 am Does an effect like this already exist?
Not as far as I am aware.
TallKite wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:30 am Crazy idea: perhaps Surge XT could be the YZ effect? Since it's open source, could it be modified to receive audio instead of generate it?
Sure, get coding.

TallKite wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:30 am
Crazy idea: perhaps Surge XT could be the YZ effect? Since it's open source, could it be modified to receive audio instead of generate it?
It's easier and will sound better just to set up your instruments in the first place.

As you pointed out, the effect would only work monophonically. In which case, it would not be solving the CC74/channel pressure conundrum anyway. Therefore, the effect would be redundant. The paradox remains. You're either employing MPE parameters or you're not.

To which end, as stated above, it would simply be easier and more desirable to set up your synths and LinnStrument presets accordingly. Regardless, the idea of coding or building such an effect definitely represents the longer, harder road.

At any rate, if setting up multiple synths or changing LinnStrument presets feels too arduous to you, I might suggest focusing on a single synth, or at very least fewer synths. The Modal synths, for instance, are able to interpolate between MPE and mono/legato sounds, on a per-patch basis, without needing to change MPE settings on the LinnStrument at all.

Cheers!

TallKite wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:30 am New linnstrument owner here. I'm finding it rather tedious to set up each of my synths to respond to the Y and Z midi. Plus not all synths agree on CC1 vs CC74, or poly vs channel pressure.

What if there were an audio effect that came after the synth that altered both the timbre and the loudness? Call it the YZ effect. Sort of a modular synth approach. It would only work for mono sounds. (Unless maybe if your synth has multi-channel output?)
I'm not sure why people say this doesn't exist. What you describe seems to me to be basically what you get if you use any unmodified synth patch you want, but insert a low pass filter as a post-synth effect. You would then route Linnstrument midi messages to the filter effect rather than synth, and you can plug any synth in and not have to reconfigure things. The LP filter is what's normally the target of y axis on Linnstrument anyway, modifying the timbre of the sound. It also affects the volume, but you could route Linnstrument z-axis messages to affect volume directly in a mixer if you wanted, again keeping things independent of various synths you might want to plug in and play. (Note: I don't thing there's any good way to around setting up pitch bend in each synth directly, but your question wasn't asking about that, anyway. And of course this works only for mono/single voice voice, not likely something you'd want to do if you want to use Linnstrument's MPE.)

The approach is described in this video, where he's talking about enabling breath control for wind controllers. You leave the LP filter in the synth itself wide open, effectively bypassing it. You use the post-synth LP filter effect to modify timbre/loudness for any synth audio that's fed to it. The specific section I'm referring to starts at about 4:00 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI8pIb_C7Ko

Return to “Roger Linn Design”