USB audio interface with no inputs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to use an older PC dedicated to VCVRack only. It comes with a standard built-in sound card which is probably not up for the task. Ideally I get high quality stereo audio in 2 jack 6.35mm out.

I was looking for low-latency no-fuss sound cards - but most have inputs too. I was thinking - for my job, I don't need the inputs, thus I could maybe get something at a lower price.

To my surprise - I couldn't find any such interface. Anyone knows if they exist? I figured I really just need the computer to run VCVRack and then output the sound so I can route it to the mixer and record.

Alternatively, but probably even less of an option, I could route audio "directly" to a host computer running a DAW (I just don't want to run VCVRack on that same computer, although it's probably the best option, but I dread instability, dropouts, etc.), but I have no idea how that "directly" would work (a USB cable?)

When 1 in a million require an audio interface with no inputs, do you think if any manufacturer will even consider?
If you need a car with 2 wheels, buy a 4 wheel car and remove any of the 2 wheels to suit.
Regards.
maanga

Look into LAN connections via Ethernet cables.
Cubase has a VST Link feature. I think Melda audio has some powerful routing plugin.
Might be cheaper by LAN and also not have to do any AD/DA conversion.

I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Ooooh this is nice, I will look into that!

Thanks guys

Two 1/4" outs would be called a DAC, or DA converter. Most likely it would be two RCA connectors meant for a stereo amp or something, or headphones.

But not sure you will earn any money doing that rather than just getting an audio interface.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:46 am ^^^ that ^^^

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... Connector/
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of an iOS tool that could connect or process audio similarly?

holoniverse wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:23 am I want to use an older PC dedicated to VCVRack only. It comes with a standard built-in sound card which is probably not up for the task.
"Probably" does not show enough confidence, no sufficient evidence to write it off.
Like, have you actually tried to measure it's (lack of) quality?

All you need is an audio interface with decent inputs, and the RMAA - Rightmark Audio Analyser
https://audio.rightmark.org/products/rmaa.shtml
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

holoniverse wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:23 am (I just don't want to run VCVRack on that same computer, although it's probably the best option, but I dread instability, dropouts, etc.)
Why haven't you tried it?

Idk if you are still interested but I have the Alesis Control Hub which doesn´t have any Inputs and is damn cheap...

Only downside is that it doesn´t come with native drivers so you have to use something like ASIO4all or similar...

holoniverse wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:23 am I want to use an older PC dedicated to VCVRack only. It comes with a standard built-in sound card which is probably not up for the task. Ideally I get high quality stereo audio in 2 jack 6.35mm out.

I was looking for low-latency no-fuss sound cards - but most have inputs too. I was thinking - for my job, I don't need the inputs, thus I could maybe get something at a lower price.

To my surprise - I couldn't find any such interface. Anyone knows if they exist? I figured I really just need the computer to run VCVRack and then output the sound so I can route it to the mixer and record.

Alternatively, but probably even less of an option, I could route audio "directly" to a host computer running a DAW (I just don't want to run VCVRack on that same computer, although it's probably the best option, but I dread instability, dropouts, etc.), but I have no idea how that "directly" would work (a USB cable?)
Rme digiface . Only headphone stereo out and adat connection( which you probably won’t use)
Small and super low .latency - rock solid drivers but comes at a cost because of the adat io .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I use this:

https://www.fiio.com/k11

It has an ASIO driver for lower latency and a high power headphone output. I really rate it and the driver is rock solid.

Native Instruments Traktor Audio 2.

2x stereo outs, zero inputs. A super portable interface for DJ work.

holoniverse wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:23 am I want to use an older PC dedicated to VCVRack only. It comes with a standard built-in sound card which is probably not up for the task. Ideally I get high quality stereo audio in 2 jack 6.35mm out.

What is your price range?

If you are going for the low of the low, you would probably save money buying a 1 or 2 channel input interface as they are the most demanded boxes, more are made so are less specialty boxes.

Behringers can be had for about $29.
Focusrite solos for about $100.

Can't speak for Behringer but the Focusrite is road worthy, (I bought a 2 input version and yes rarely used the inputs).

And as someone else said your PC audio output might be fine. it might just need some low latency drivers.

I would think something like the digiface being like several hundred bucks because thier main purpose is to combine multiple digital i/o boxes.

I have a couple of these, and they work great (admittedly, I have used the input, too :)). Nine bucks, and free returns if it doesn't work for your purpose!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R33VWW/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”