3am - LIVE20230923 (LA Synth Club anniversary)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I performed a set for the anniversary of the LA Synth Club back in September but apparently I forgot to share it with you all. :dog:
Since folks have been commenting on my performance from March, I figure I may as well post the more recent performance.

https://youtu.be/GXcXodD2-Js

Here is an image which shows my performance rig from the other side.

The synth parts are from the Serge modular, eurorack modular, Music Easel and Elektron Analog 4. All the samples and sound effects are from the Octatrack. I use a Sound Craft GB2R for live mixing. Eventide Pitch Factor, Empress ZOIA and Line6 Verbzilla on sends.

That set was a lot of fun and I hope to be able to do more like that later this year.

Wow - that almost has the feel of a factory hall. Your somewhat dark,
abysmal live performance fits in perfectly. :D :D :D :tu: :tu: :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Good performance, Justin. I really enjoyed the delay and reverb FX. The live sound was very good, too.

Additional interest was provided by the bird hopping onto the fork-lift, and the large keg of beer in the back.

Good work :)

That bird was the highlight of the event! It's a great space. It's a brewery built into an old warehouse in Hawthorne, CA. It's a huge building with three different event spaces, apart from the actual brewery.

The sound from the board was okay. It's a heck of a lot of work and preparation to get this rig ready for a performance. I try to keep the number of cables which need to be run between the cases down to a minimum but there is still room for error. Luckily no one knows how this is "supposed" to sound, so you hopefully can't tell that I had to deal with two annoying technical issues (maybe my face does something :lol: ). I can do most of this set with just the Octatrack and A4 if I need to... as a precaution, I record a lot of the modular synth parts to the OT during rehearsal, so I have something to fall back on in case of a catastrophic failure.

I'm starting to think that some kind of DB25 interface between cases would be more idiot proof than the color coded patch bay and snake combo. Would be cool if I can get MIDI and audio through a single connector.

We used DB25s back in the '80s for connecting printers. I don't think I've seen one in captivity for 15-20 years.

:lol: Right? Seems like another relic from a simpler time.
The audio interfaces and patch bays I use have DB25 connectors instead of 1/4". They carry 8 balanced audio channels, so often more convenient and take up less space than 8x 1/4" or XLR connectors, as long as you're using patch bays which have DB25 on the back. Of course, if you need to split your I/O out, you need DB24>1/4" and that can get expensive.
I've made a custom DB25 cable before and it was very difficult. I gotta see if I can make some sort of jig for holding leads in place while I solder. My Helping Hand tool doesn't do the trick, since the connector and attached wires can get really heavy.

Glad you posted this. Really interesting sounds. Nice wubs that start around 5:00. Chords that start around 6:00 give Aphex's Selected Ambient Works feelings. How often does the LA Synth Club do public performances?

Your Youtube live song is the best thing I heard all week online. It has a real IDM/Robert Rich significance. I'd love to hear more similar stuff from you.

Sounds very complex but groovy. Your setup sure has many cables and buttons. I would be lost with such a monster rig

Thanks for watching!
Genetic_Junk wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:43 pm How often does the LA Synth Club do public performances?
The first Monday of every month. It's kind of a free-for-all from 6pm-8pm and then someone does a presentation or performance after 8pm. The anniversary even was on a Saturday and we had performances through out the day. I'm working with the folks who put on the LA Synth Club and Trovarsi from the SoCal Synth society to do more live events in the LA/OC areas. :tu:

WordClock wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:21 pm Your Youtube live song is the best thing I heard all week online. It has a real IDM/Robert Rich significance. I'd love to hear more similar stuff from you.
Thanks muchly!
Definitely check out my links below. I have a some other performance videos (detritus in particular) and some of the tracks on my 'Phantom Distinction Fallacy' EP have a similar vibe.

justin3am wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:03 pm Thanks for watching!
Genetic_Junk wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:43 pm How often does the LA Synth Club do public performances?
The first Monday of every month. It's kind of a free-for-all from 6pm-8pm and then someone does a presentation or performance after 8pm. The anniversary even was on a Saturday and we had performances through out the day. I'm working with the folks who put on the LA Synth Club and Trovarsi from the SoCal Synth society to do more live events in the LA/OC areas. :tu:
Do you do self made album's Justin? I'd love to have an album of stuff like the music on this post on a bandcamp album. Never mind I found the bandcamp link at the bottom of your post.
Last edited by WordClock on Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justin3am wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:03 pm Thanks for watching!
Nice. I'm in the same locale. It'd be fun to meet at an event.

Hezekiel wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:36 pm Sounds very complex but groovy. Your setup sure has many cables and buttons. I would be lost with such a monster rig
Complex but groovy is a great endorsement! Thanks!
A lot of time goes into reducing the amount of cables which need to be connected when loading in. :help:
I try to keep re-patching down to a minimum when performing. There's just too much that can go wrong, lol. The rig looks a lot more complex than it is. I feel like I should revisit my "live performance of electronic music" post from like 15 years ago!

I've always wanted to do a kinda "patch from scratch" performance but it takes a lot of preparation and practice. It's the kind of thing I prefer to do in a video I can edit. :hihi:

WordClock wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:08 pm Do you do self made album's Justin? I'd love to have an album of stuff like the music on this post on a bandcamp album. Never mind I found the bandcamp link at the bottom of your post.
I do have a few release on Bandcamp and Soundcloud but I haven't done a live album yet. Maybe I should. With that said, most of the tracks in 'Of The Clock' were recorded as live performances, then polished in post production. https://3amnoise.bandcamp.com/album/of-the-clock

Return to “Music Cafe”