One Synth Challenge #180: Regency by nakst (ELEX Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Regency

PeterBPL wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:54 pm @silverpants (my first try to write something more about song if you don't mind - I'll try here on the forum first).
What I like? Beginning which sounds "strange", but when bass starts it makes very nice contrast. I like sound that starts about 2:16. I like that distorted break at 3:30. Themes are ok, but not in plus or in minus. Just interesting, but a little plain (no wrong notes, but too much "safe" notes, some themes could be more complex). What I don't like? That long glide that sounds a little out of tune - which may be good, but imo it glides too long (probably would sound better if that was rock guitar song). And I don't like tempo here - I really would like to hear this song in higher speed (even 50% higher - do me a favor and make a private version with accelerated BPM). :)

Is that type of description ok? I do not like to offend anyone and I really hate all kind of criticism. Everyone does what they like, and interjecting "what would I do" is inappropriate and I feel bad about it.
This is great feedback. :tu:

neverbeeninariot wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:54 pm How do you force someone to make better music?
Focring by telling them how they should compose, what they should change, improve etc.
I feel a little strange when for the first time (few minutes ago) I wrote my first more complex comment/review.

Thanks for listening and your considered feedback PeterBPL..

I won't be making other versions - im very short on time at the moment. im travelling for the rest of the month. My song is how it is. I'll be working on the next one soon enough :)
Captain Silverpants

neverbeeninariot wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:55 pm
PeterBPL wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:54 pm @silverpants (my first try to write something more about song if you don't mind - I'll try here on the forum first).
What I like? Beginning which sounds "strange", but when bass starts it makes very nice contrast. I like sound that starts about 2:16. I like that distorted break at 3:30. Themes are ok, but not in plus or in minus. Just interesting, but a little plain (no wrong notes, but too much "safe" notes, some themes could be more complex). What I don't like? That long glide that sounds a little out of tune - which may be good, but imo it glides too long (probably would sound better if that was rock guitar song). And I don't like tempo here - I really would like to hear this song in higher speed (even 50% higher - do me a favor and make a private version with accelerated BPM). :)

Is that type of description ok? I do not like to offend anyone and I really hate all kind of criticism. Everyone does what they like, and interjecting "what would I do" is inappropriate and I feel bad about it.
This is great feedback. :tu:
And to expand on that...

All anyone has is an opinion, there is no good or bad, or right or wrong, it's all subjective when it comes to music. But, it's damn good to know that someone really listened to something that took time and effort to create and shared their thoughts, even if it's not the best thing they have ever heard.

PeterBPL wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:58 pm
neverbeeninariot wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:54 pm How do you force someone to make better music?
Focring by telling them how they should compose, what they should change, improve etc.
I feel a little strange when for the first time (few minutes ago) I wrote my first more complex comment/review.
It feels strange for all of us the first couple of times, then it gets easier. It's the interactions that help build and sustain a community.

We get to know people better, they get to know us better, then they get to know me better and then they stop speaking to me... :lol:

silverpants wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:05 am I won't be making other versions (...)
And THAT is great answer! Really. That's what I am talking about.
That is how anyone should answer if someone suggest to change anything.

Peter, in my opinion, if you're uncomfortable about recieving and giving criticism - then don't force yourself. it's not mandatory to write an essay for everyone (and would take too long)..that's my opinion though.
It's up to everyone how they want to use OSC and what they want out of it. Some people write tons, some people submit a song every month and almost never say anything. Fair enough I think. We're all different. I'm glad someone has listened to be honest. Anything else is a bonus.
Captain Silverpants

I think too much OT here. :)

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:37 pm It took me lot's of lessons (trial and error hours spent on youtube, blogs and stuff) in mixing and sound design to get there ...
Mixing with Mike has been very helpful for me. Is there anything else I should check out?
] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:37 pmmeaning to say: If you try to go up the roaster in OSC, you should first go for composition not "sound".
Oh, okay. I hope I can level up my composition then.
] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:02 pm Don't got to deep into the rabbit hole ... don't forget to try out things yourself, rather than only wathicng stuff ;-)
I find, that I do better with guidance, don't want to get lost in wonderland and cry.
] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:02 pmIf you like visit the yt channel "Alice Yalcin Efe - Mercurial Tones Academy". Shes's a cool DJ, EDM producer and educator.
Mercurial Tones, huh. Always good to have a helping hand.
PeterBPL wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:42 pm There is no way that anyone can skip some part of learning and jump into 3 levels up.
Are you sure? Don't you think there are exceptions? What if you find yourself being the one to jump 3 levels up, you might become a star engineer getting the greenlight by big players. Sure that is doubtful, but who kneows you might be the one to jump 3 levels easy. :wink:
PeterBPL wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:42 pm "you must set program A on 40 C and put 50g of detergent, then press START"
I must write this down... Heat 40c, detergent 50g. :D

PeterBPL wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:39 pm Ok, on OSC179 I give a lot of "1", probably the most of all.
Peter is keeping it real. :hihi:
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

You could just comment what it made you feel or think about. If anything. Doesn't have to be a critical comment. Like emikaela wrote a track that reminded me of the moment in King Rat by Edgar Allen Poe when they all take off running away down the street at the end. That's really specific and maybe bizarre to get as a comment but that's also what it's all about IMO. It was absolutely perfect for that.

DrBob last three submissions have reminded me of Dune (Lynch version), a kind of under/other world of immortals where there's no sky and finally the golden girls.

How come almost no one else ever shares these things...?? It's a hell of a lot more interesting than taking about the damn kick.

Or you can gush about how awesome it is.

I also like to say when it reminded me of some other song. I'm guessing that isn't well received but I'll keep doing it. I'm not saying it's plagiarized. This last round we had someone who had a bit of Sundown by Gordon Lightfoot. I was surprised no one else pointed it out. I did and the producer said they couldn't hear any resemblance. I had my wife listen and she immediately said it sounded like Sundown. (Shrug)

I want critical comments. Elex gives very insightful critical comments IMO.

After you play for a while - you get to know who wants helpful criticism. Some people often end up in the bottom quarter and are clear that they want to know why they are getting low scores. For these people I try to give them what they want. And they try to improve.
Other people are talented experienced artists - who even if they place low they know exactly why (a particular inaccessible/experimental concept).
It helps to know what people are looking for in the comments.
And I agree with Emp above - it's nice to see how songs make you feel. I do try to write that when I have a strong feeling.
I try to comment on every song, just because I want to. I'm not overly critical unless I know the person wants it and is actively trying to get out of the bottom half.
But I have no hard feelings towards people who don't comment much. I see it as an optional extra part of the game.
LunarKitten is clearly asking for lots of help - and will get it from the community.
Captain Silverpants

Themes are ok, but not in plus or in minus. Just interesting, but a little plain (no wrong notes, but too much "safe" notes, some themes could be more complex).
Interessting. "Quality of Themes" is completely context dependent. I think "catchyness" is the important quality. If using "only save notes" is coined as not catchy then I'd say this is not my take. I like "under complex" but catchy and I'd say crowds that are eager to dance exactly look for not too complex as well. Perhaps some music is meant to be danceable, throw your arms in the air, "sing along" the football stadium chant melody ...
Anyway. Just want to make a point for dead simple is sometimes the best thing to go for, as Alice Yalcin Efe says
https://youtu.be/U4IEU0cV7jA
If you love, you can check out the theme of a track called "Zombi Nation" ... interesting, I'd say about 70% of people know it, because coming from C64 times it's getting reused over and over again ... because it's rather simple and catchy.

PeterBPL wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:11 am
silverpants wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:05 am I won't be making other versions (...)
And THAT is great answer! Really. That's what I am talking about.
Except that you discarded all of the context about why he's not going to change it.
I won't be making other versions - im very short on time at the moment. im travelling for the rest of the month. My song is how it is.
He didn't say, 'I won't be making changes because I'm staying true to my artistic vision', or '...because I don't need your advice', so I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make - but whatever it is, one truncated response does not validate it.
Silverpants is clearly very talented and good at what he does but, when people make suggestions, he does listen - sometimes he agrees, sometimes not. No matter how good someone might be (or thinks they are), there is always room for improvement, if they're open to trying something different.
This is nonsense, no-one is forced to do anything they don't want to here.

For example, it might feel like I'm trying to tell you how you should vote, but while I am questioning your strategy, I'm really just curious about your approach to voting and to participating in OSC in general (songwriting vs sound design vs mixing, etc.). You probably strongly disagree with my opinion, but you're not being forced to change yours.
That is how anyone should answer if someone suggest to change anything.
"Can't give you advice on your track, but happy to tell you that this is how you should respond to any suggestion of change..."

What if my mix sucked hard, you can hear what I am doing wrong and you are experienced enough at mixing to offer some advice (you are, your production is pretty good). Would you just walk on by while silently dropping a 1pt, or would you explain why I got 1pt and make a suggestion that might help me improve?

It has been said already, you don't have to comment, it's not a requirement, many people don't, and most people don't seem to have a problem with that. But folks are likely to get irked when more than 50% of the entrants get 1pt (see my previous response about how 1pt as average lumps a huge swath of both good and not-so-good entries in the same bucket).

We're not OT (IMO) - we're just philosophising about about alternative approaches to OSC participation, and how those approaches might affect people differently. When we start talking about picking up dog poop and how it inspired someone to write a track, we've probably strayed too far. (although, that did actually happen to someone here...).

neverbeeninariot wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:54 pm What is better music?
+1, that's all

neverbeeninariot wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:43 am What if my mix sucked hard, you can hear what I am doing wrong and you are experienced enough at mixing to offer some advice (...)
I would say nothing and wouldn't lower my rating probably. Because you will improve over time with or without my advices. And this is not mixing and mastering competition (at least not for me), but music competition. Even if it is part of creating music, the other factors are more important for me.

Nevermind. I noticed that the more I am trying to explain my point of view, the more "good advices" I get and the more people trying to "explain" me how something works etc. Do I need or want these lessons? Not really. Sure, it's discussion, but it all begins because the way I choose to vote. Truth is that for years people discovered that secret voting is more fair and gives better results. Because people, when knows that their votes will be shown, do not want to offend anyone or just don't want to be punished for the way they voted.

Return to “Instruments”