Renoise Gurus - talk to me

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To make a short story long. I bought a Polyend Tracker Mini and had lots of fun with it, and I am starting to have an itch to learn more about Renoise.

Where to begin learning Renoise? Where would you start?
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Renoise is amazing. I think a great way to learn is to open up the modules that come with renoise and take a look at how some of the effects and modulations were acheived (some of these were built for this specific purpose). This is how I learnt to track back in the day by opening up old modules and just seeing how they were put together. There is also a youtube channel which explains a lot of the fundamentals pretty well. If you're seesaw-ing between another DAW you could also check out Renoise's little bro Redux which you can load in as a vst to another DAW - it has the sampler and phrase components of Renoise in it so you can do a bit of vertical sequencing in between your piano roll.

Renoise is the best , learn the effect commands and the shortcuts .
Some tips
-Ctrl+shift +left/right arrow keys expands the note columns , LIfe saver :tu:
-You don't need to retype the values of an effect command when it's repeated , 00 is enough
-Say you have a note with a pitch down command on that line 0D10 ( means one semitone down )
If you type 0D00 for the next lines , it will keeps pitching down .

-Ctrl copy +Ctrl P continious paste : Life saver :tu:
Take it slowly and experiment with one effect at a time .
Also, each note lane has it's own dedicated Effects lane but also a panning , volume and delay column
You can enter effects in the vol,pan column but since there is only place for 2 digits , and one is reserved for the effect name , you only have 16 ( hex=F) possible values .
And ofcourse 8 effects lane that works on all the note lanes
-Ctrl+ i =interpolate between values ( great for pseudo timestrecthing )
-Ctrl+Alt +arrow keys for making fine selections

Pro tip , Invest in a quality Mechanical Keyboard , Filco , ducky One etc... :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

E X C E L L E N T !
Thanks for all suggestions. Keep em coming. I'm taking all to heart.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Renoise crushes the Polyend in a lot of ways, just no native granular or wavetable, or stuff like euclidean fill - everything else is objectively better. The PE forces you to use an FX column for velocity, pan etc. Whereas Renoise has these plus as many more as you want per track. Any VST FX you bring to it as well.

The official YouTube channel is a good start, as are the official forums - there is also a plethora or user made add-in "tools". Go for it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”