Physical Modelling Synth VSTs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

k2006 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:06 pm according to Urs comb filters like in Zebra are enough to do physical modelling
Comb filters are technically short feedback delays. Just like Waveguides. We just can not call them that because that would infringe patents, brand names or some such thing. Hence you'll also not find any hint at "Physical Modeling" on certain websites. That would probably infringe some brand names as well. I rather think of Zebra's comb filters as little "sculpturing" devices. You catch the drift._Urs
viewtopic.php?t=230895
Actually, he avoided saying that and provided an excuse. And it isn't true. One can construct physical situations that produce comb filtering. In order to physically model that comb filter, one needs to be able to specify, for example, the distances between sources and microphones, not just specify filter parameters.

DaveClark wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:53 pm First it should be noted that historically a physical model is an actual physical object.
“Now everybody-”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What if I want to imagine a spherical cow dancing upon a massless string, hmmm? How am I supposed to model that?

cthonophonic wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:14 pm What if I want to imagine a spherical cow dancing upon a massless string, hmmm? How am I supposed to model that?
Mathematically!

Since the cow is spherical, were can just use a regular sphere matching the cow's mass. However, is the cow dancing on flat hooves or en pointe? Or, is the cow using its legs or tail to touch the string? Or, maybe she slaps it with her udder?

As for massless, that may cause a divide-by-zero error, but we can use the smallest number available in a double (or even a larger float size), if needed.

Also, is the cow polled or not? Horns may cause some wind resistance that may me mathematically significant to the calculations.

If the cow was cow-shaped, then we could allow for any barnyard denizens in our calculations. Animal shape, size, weight, material (hide, feathers, etc.)

See. Math has you covered! :party:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Reaktor Prism and the free version mikroprism.Xhun audio ResonHeart,if 32bit is ok lot of Xoxos synths

gExpectations wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:53 pm Hi,

are there any physical modelling synth vsts around? I'm sure there have to be. I only know about Noisy, which looks good but I don't want to buy it, even on sale price, since it has no demo. I also found Plasmonic by the Abysnth designer, which I am gonna test. The last thing I know is a Reaktor instrument called Steampipe. Its still pretty fun in its own right. (I'm not looking for physically modeled instruments like MODO drum/bass).

Anything I missed? Whats your favorite?

edit: i just realized expressive e released a second PM vst recently, called imagine. ngl, it looks very good.

I can highly recommend Reason Objekt. It does some pretty interesting things, is MPE capable and just sounds phenomenal.

Another very interesting one I just bought today because the sounds it creates blew me away is Baby Audio Atoms. It is very much it's own thing and I don't really understand how it works (yet) but just listen to it.

Oddblick wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:17 am I can highly recommend Reason Objekt. It does some pretty interesting things, is MPE capable and just sounds phenomenal.
Objekt is really good but it doesn't have MPE.

If you are looking for a high quality physical synth you should definitely consider the Outersect Modeler.

MPE demo using the Linnstrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F8J-1PFVYU

Quick Intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gExHBy1sRZo&t=20s

Preset Demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZdrvKGYwGE&t=79s

Detailed parameter walk through / video user manual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vIu_D64zto&t=843s

Return to “Instruments”