Bitwig: Interface Performance

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Bitwig team surely won't rewrite the GUI with another language now.

WebAssembly is super slow in comparison to C++ or JAVA. Also browser engines are not that fast either. WebGL would be ok, but it is then a workaworkaround. *GL is already dead on mac, webgl will then translated to metal.

They should add fundamental metal support to Cairo or whatever, instead doing element by element. I also think that mixing rendering on CPU and GPU will drastically slow down the performance. Metal is about to do the whole stuff on the GPU only, and exactly here the current approach is obviously insufficient.

Ok so almost 2 years later, are things any closer to better UI performance with Bitwig? I just picked up a 4K monitor, and it's literally rendering at less than half the frame-rate than Ableton is.
| MacOS Ventura MBP 14 M1 Pro 32GB RAM | PC Win 11 7950x3D 64GB RAM | Ableton | Bigwig| RME Babyface Pro | Yamaha HS8 |

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:18 am The Bitwig team surely won't rewrite the GUI with another language now.

WebAssembly is super slow in comparison to C++ or JAVA. Also browser engines are not that fast either. WebGL would be ok, but it is then a workaworkaround. *GL is already dead on mac, webgl will then translated to metal.

They should add fundamental metal support to Cairo or whatever, instead doing element by element. I also think that mixing rendering on CPU and GPU will drastically slow down the performance. Metal is about to do the whole stuff on the GPU only, and exactly here the current approach is obviously insufficient.
What do you think they are doing then ?
Do you have more infos its 2024 now

Hmmm, I have no clue about at how many frames Bitwig renders on my 4k system (Windows 10 on a Ryzen 9 5800X) but I cannot tell about any problems visually...
Everything is animated very smoothly and tons better as i.e. the M4L modulators (i.e. LFO) in Live which is stuttering it´s animation of the LFO just along...

That's the max.msp live.scope, it is hopeless.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

My biggest problem with the UI isn't performance per se, but I have problems with bitwig on mac. I use a logitech mouse just so I can zoom and pan normally, however, it for some reason is that about 50% of the time it doesn't respond to middle-click+drag until I move the mouse significantly far up or down. I'm about to give up and just start using a trackpad and use gestures. I also just feel like there are a number of "sticky edges" in editing that feel bad. I'm not keen enough to identify what those are, but the feel of editing and using the piano roll, arranger, automation always feels a bit off to me, like it doesn't quite do what I want the first time. Not sure if it's a visual feedback thing or what it is.

Return to “Bitwig”