Love it!!

The KVR Studio Manager Public Beta
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is probably as close as we are getting to something like a Steam for plugins. I have big anxiety over; keeping track of what I own, who owns whom and version history. I would love an export feature that gives me a .CSV with fields for plugin, latest version, local version and a cherry on top would be a clickable URL that lands you at the download. Great program and much needed, thanks a ton! Now if we could get vendors to choose and support one place to host old versions of all their plugins for the inevitable nightmare of making something with a version of vst that is incompatible and unobtainable.

It helped me realize I had some demos still installed that I could get rid of, as well as a few plugins that I never use.

It also made me realize that the version of Native Access I had was lying to me by saying my plugins were up to date :o After redownloading latest Native Access, it updated almost all of my NI plugins.

It also gave me the motivation to go ahead and update several things, since there's a central place to check the status now. :tu: Usually I only update if I happen to get a notification email from the developer at a time when I'm especially bored and/or it mentions a fix/improvement that I actively care about. There are plenty of devs where I'm not getting those notifications (because they don't send them and/or I don't want other spam).

So yeah, this is a useful thing. :party:

foosnark wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:02 pm It helped me realize I had some demos still installed that I could get rid of, as well as a few plugins that I never use.

It also made me realize that the version of Native Access I had was lying to me by saying my plugins were up to date :o After redownloading latest Native Access, it updated almost all of my NI plugins.

It also gave me the motivation to go ahead and update several things, since there's a central place to check the status now. :tu: Usually I only update if I happen to get a notification email from the developer at a time when I'm especially bored and/or it mentions a fix/improvement that I actively care about. There are plenty of devs where I'm not getting those notifications (because they don't send them and/or I don't want other spam).

So yeah, this is a useful thing. :party:
This is super cool to hear, thanks for sharing. It's rough around the edges still but this is exactly the kind of response we were hoping to see. 8)

Gavincoolguy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:05 pm This is probably as close as we are getting to something like a Steam for plugins. I have big anxiety over; keeping track of what I own, who owns whom and version history. I would love an export feature that gives me a .CSV with fields for plugin, latest version, local version and a cherry on top would be a clickable URL that lands you at the download. Great program and much needed, thanks a ton! Now if we could get vendors to choose and support one place to host old versions of all their plugins for the inevitable nightmare of making something with a version of vst that is incompatible and unobtainable.
Thanks! The plugin report idea was actually a planned feature that hadn't been implemented yet... much like the text file export from Cubase's plugin manager. Generating a .CSV shouldn't be an issue either. Will make a note.

Loving it here! Was kind of rough on initial scan, but seem to be working well now. I love that it not only indicates version but also pointed out several duplicate files and a couple of files that did not scan correctly that were fine after a reinstallation.
Really made me look at all the deadwood in my vst3 folder.
Thanks

Fantastic tool. Hugely needed. Big thanks to everyone involved :tu:

There is one big issue with this: Some developers are notoriously slow to add the latest versions of their plugins to the KVR database. Or the plugins aren't in the database at all. As nice as it sounds to have a centralized system to keep track of your plugins and latest versions, I'll stick with doing it manually for now. IMO, such a system is simply impossible to do, if developers aren't encouraged to keep their stuff up to date. And, I doubt that will happen (or will be possible to happen).

If you want an example, check Largo 2 for instance. Version 1.01 has been released 3 months ago, and the KVR database still has version 1.0 for the current version. The system relies on developers updating the infos, and, if they don't do it, the database is simply outdated.

I agree, there are a few entries that are out-of-date but it's working great for about 80-90% of my plugins. I'm sure that as the product and concept gets more widely known, developers will sit up and take notice. They might even notice that it's driving more traffic to their web sites.

Fair enough. I think it's a good idea in general. Just difficult to realize.

NateKVR wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:22 pm Generating a .CSV shouldn't be an issue either. Will make a note.
CSV is so 80’s. Please consider also a SQLite export, maybe you use it anyway for your database…

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:12 pm
NateKVR wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:22 pm Generating a .CSV shouldn't be an issue either. Will make a note.
CSV is so 80’s. Please consider also a SQLite export, maybe you use it anyway for your database…
CSV is human-readable and compatible with nearly everything...

Its a pain, as it uses commas to separate fields. Even the older TAB text is better than that. SQlite and JSON is as human readable as csv and much better in terms of compatibility. You don‘t want to use excel as editor… And if you read what I said: consider it as well. I don‘t mind csv, its still better than nothing… I can deal with it, but its a pain…

Yeah, agreed! I'm really bad at keeping my software up to date and my plug-in folder is a bit of a mess. Since I was already doing a bunch of studio maintenance, it was serendipitous that this would come out recently. I'm a casual plug-in user, so I don't spend much time on this stuff. So it's nice to have a tool that consolidates a lot of the information about the plug-ins I use.

Thank you so much! The world has needed this for a very long time. :)

Is there an ability to add the Marketplace price to each plugin in the application? This would really help with insurance replacement value.

Thank you this is great! :)

Return to “KVR Studio Manager”