Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

woodsdenis wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:21 pm
cb8rwh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:10 pm You don't have to call out any of the designers (I'm one), but if we know what is missing we can possibly add some of the missing types.
Thanks for your response, I guess I am echoing what Skippy said, its much easier to judge a synth if you have a curated selection of Factory patches at the first level rather than the way that its done now with a list of the designers and a BASS list as an example of all of them. There needs to be a best of, if you know what I mean and that can only be judged by the Dawsome team internally to best show off what they know the synths strengths are.
Just use the browser near the bottom right to see the different categories and search for terms. It's a confusingly nonstandard gui choice but it's not that bad once you get used to it.

Ou_Tis wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:47 pm
woodsdenis wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:21 pm
cb8rwh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:10 pm You don't have to call out any of the designers (I'm one), but if we know what is missing we can possibly add some of the missing types.
Thanks for your response, I guess I am echoing what Skippy said, its much easier to judge a synth if you have a curated selection of Factory patches at the first level rather than the way that its done now with a list of the designers and a BASS list as an example of all of them. There needs to be a best of, if you know what I mean and that can only be judged by the Dawsome team internally to best show off what they know the synths strengths are.
Just use the browser near the bottom right to see the different categories and search for terms. It's a confusingly nonstandard gui choice but it's not that bad once you get used to it.
That’s what I am using.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I've done a bit of playing with Myth, and have to agree with the above posters. Its re-synthesis is a bit fragile, and sounds often come out a bit rough or ragged at times.

One thing I've tried is to follow Myth with a granular processor. Sometimes, in these more ragged cases, granular seems to blend the sound pieces and smooth things out somewhat (reverb helps too). Have others noted similar results?

Has anyone in the beta team approached Peter about a granular module?

Well there is the GRAINS module among the FX modules

Some of the presets would really benefit from some sort of dynamic EQ-type effect to tame the high end when it gets excessively harsh... trying to figure out which LFO-ing effect is making a preset become too harsh / shrill at regular intervals can be tricky (and time consuming). Can put one after it of course, but it would be nice to have it right in the preset.

Sometimes I find myself thinking, "This is almost great, but I wonder if the preset designer can still hear those high frequencies that are getting too shrill..."

On the Grains module: IDK why it doesn't include a few more options to make it as tweakable as standard granular... aside from not wanting too much overlap with Novum?

I would join the Discord (if you haven't already) and make suggestions over there.

Neat, but as with most of his plugins, cpu burden is prohibitive. ill pass...

*Granted he's a mathematician, but maybe he could use some help to optimize calculations and
OpenGL routines. There are techniques one can use to speed things up, like assembly and whatnot. :shrug:

*My computer is not even a year old, tho it is a Core i5. Voice limiting helps of course, still. :shrug:
Last edited by pekbro on Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ou_Tis wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:50 pm Some of the presets would really benefit from some sort of dynamic EQ-type effect to tame the high end when it gets excessively harsh... trying to figure out which LFO-ing effect is making a preset become too harsh / shrill at regular intervals can be tricky (and time consuming). Can put one after it of course, but it would be nice to have it right in the preset.

Sometimes I find myself thinking, "This is almost great, but I wonder if the preset designer can still hear those high frequencies that are getting too shrill..."
Do you mean something like a HF - Compressor or more like Nova's Smart Operations? I like the Idea for sure, as some Harshness can surely be introduced. Might not benefit the Cpu - usage though.

cb8rwh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:57 pm I would join the Discord (if you haven't already) and make suggestions over there.
I would also suggest to join the Discord to share some further Thoughts about Improvements there.
You can be creative in any right place on Earth, and not only in the wealthiest cities. Bring the world feelings from everywhere, and not only feelings of capitalistic or jail environment.
― Aleksey Vaneev

El°HYM wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:04 pm
Ou_Tis wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:50 pm Some of the presets would really benefit from some sort of dynamic EQ-type effect to tame the high end when it gets excessively harsh... trying to figure out which LFO-ing effect is making a preset become too harsh / shrill at regular intervals can be tricky (and time consuming). Can put one after it of course, but it would be nice to have it right in the preset.

Do you mean something like a HF - Compressor or more like Nova's Smart Operations? I like the Idea for sure, as some Harshness can surely be introduced. Might not benefit the Cpu - usage though.
I think it would be sufficient to add a threshold control to the OTT downward compression (or at least for the high band) and have no makeup gain.

Yeah the downward compression in the OTT module is definitely applying makeup gain afterwards. Just an option to disable the makeup gain for the high band might be enough.

This synth is *REALLY* problematic. Everything on offer here has upsides and downsides. And what would seem to be the core feature (the "Iris" resynthesis) is just... I'm sorry to say it... not helpful. A multisample player and/or wavetable option as a substitute for the Iris would save the day. I get what this synth is trying to do, but it's just not doing it. Alternatively, an "FX" mode version of the plugin that lets you bypass the core sound generation/oscillator section might also save the day. But this is kind of a hot mess. It's OK not to apologize for it.

I know there are super fans here, but calling the resynthesis "fragile," "weird," or "experimental" isn't doing this synth any favors. The core feature just doesn't deliver. Saying that you should blue-mod the Iris down to the fundamental is ludicrous. (In that case, just load the sinewave Iris. But then you're just doing 2-Op FM on sinewaves... Hooray, I guess?)

Aside from the *core feature* of this synth, there are some positives, but they're also problematic. For example, a completely modular synth with no default mod routings is... intriguing... but then the user has to understand what the default architecture of a well-designed synth is useful for. If they don't understand that, they won't be able to create the useful mod routings. I'm not wrong on this.

I had really high hopes for this, but who, exactly, is this thing for? I'm an extremely advanced (in skills and in age) user of synthesizers who also has a gigantic library of samples, waveforms (which I computed myself), and wavetables (again, my own, you can have them too but I'm not posting this for SEO, so I will refrain from links) and I can't really make this work in the way the synth's own marketing and docs suggest. Sooo... what is the "average" user to do with this?

I think this might be useful as a physical modeling synth, but give me a sample player that can let me control the exciter, yeah?

Anyway, video coming soon with my thoughts on Myth, but it kinda seems like the audience for this is the folks who (superheroically) did the factory patches and their immediate circle of associates. So, who else is left that could appreciate this?
Last edited by kcrosley on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcrosley wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:51 amSo, who else is left that could appreciate this?
People looking for a unique set of somewhat adventurous tools to work with, to hopefully arrive at an intriguing sound?

I agree with your premise, you’re sort of at the mercy of what the Iris can deliver, and if you’re using your own samples that delivery can be too much of a mystery. However, once you do find an Iris starting point, there’s enough there to branch out a number of different ways.

As I noted before, seems like this is more of a sum of its parts type of synth. To that point, saving different versions along the way seems like a good approach, allowing you to take those different routes.

That all may feel like too much. I’m finding it to be worthwhile, if I want to go on that adventure. Sometimes I do, sometimes the patch creation is most of the battle.
Yo Leroy!

I've spent some more time with it and did enjoy it more but unfortunately it's because I've mostly neglected the irises. It's kind of crazy that the big focal point of this synth is really my least favorite thing about it.

BoogerSnot wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:25 am
kcrosley wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:51 amSo, who else is left that could appreciate this?
People looking for a unique set of somewhat adventurous tools to work with, to hopefully arrive at an intriguing sound?
Synthesis isn't as hard as this. That is all. Again, give me all of the modifiers and processors, but let me play a goddamn sample without f**king it up. That's all. Or, BETTER YET, give me a wavetable. You're making my argument for me. (Salute! 🫡)

Another thing I'm finding: Mixing the Irises with the traditional oscillators really helps turn the sound coming from the four oscillator section into something more.... Traditional? Imagine that! :ud:

Like I've noted a few times, view this as a sum of its parts and I think its possibilities become clearer.

Some of the modules are so dramatic... The model/resonator, the OTT, the FM modules for the traditional oscillators...

This thing is very much a modular synth. Yes, may be hard to target something you're aiming for and more about discovery, but I'm liking that aspect of it. 8)
Yo Leroy!

Return to “Instruments”