Zebralette 3 Public Beta Announcement (Revision 15573)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebralette

While he's now also making videos about the comments posted about his first video, he might want to include a quote from the original announcement:
u-he wrote:Many parts are not yet fully optimized, so certain features might use more CPU now than in the final release version.

I wouldn’t waste any energy on what he and his 38 subscribers might think. He obviously doesn’t understand the concept of beta software. He’s also apparently reaching for the lofty goal of being one of those drama queen content creator/attention whores. Nothing valuable to contribute, just wants to be heard.

Where’s that paid version of Zebralette he mentions? Also, there are three iterations?

I've waited to add comments because I honestly did not believe my ears...this is one of the most beautiful sounding oscillators I have ever heard. Additive or wavetable, both sound incredible and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

The beta performance is a challenge for my set up, though it runs Diva fine so I'm hopeful that the final release will resolve that. But the point is I am running it with fewer voices and lower resolution in order to learn to use it, and it still sounds amazing.

So either it is my imagination and my excitement about it making me think it sounds better, or you guys have created the sweetest sounding synth ever. Most of the sounds I'm generating don't even need delay or reverb, it has a natural gloss that sounds beautiful on its own. More than a balance, you have achieved syzygy, and it just rocks.

I wonder what quad-core CPU he is using? My i7 3rd gen cries at some presets in the beta, but nothing like his video! On a side note, my new Ryzen 9 PC treats it like water off a ducks back! I remember the Zebra 2 betas being much higher in CPU use than the main release, and the dev states there will be optimizations! I'm still blown away at what a single OSC can do!

Subz

No need to take his video into account. If necesary, someone can make a video with other exemples and informing about the specs.
On my 12th gen i7, it works fine. I already love it. As a matter of fact, it should have been a paid synth. Btw, if so, maybe this "tester" wouldn't have bother installing it ;-)

Looking forward to discovering the next step, and of course the big brother.
Last edited by robisme on Wed May 01, 2024 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

clangorous wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:34 pm I've waited to add comments because I honestly did not believe my ears...this is one of the most beautiful sounding oscillators I have ever heard. Additive or wavetable, both sound incredible and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.
I agree... the sound is gorgeous. Clear and coherent without being sterile and very dynamic.

This synth makes me impatient for Zebra 3. Best wavetable editor I've ever used, might actually edit wavetables now. Agree on the sound as well.
:borg: :borg: Furnace // Renoise // Ableton // Reaper :borg: :borg:

AtomOfScent wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 pm So I found the randomizer.h2p preset I'd seen mentioned, and it's the most fun I've had with Zebralette3 by far! :phones:

The main downside is that locking is ignored so things you don't want changed, and things that should never be changed are still affected.

I really, really hope this type of thing becomes a native feature (for all u-he synths). But perhaps if it pre-dates parameter locking it's possible to update the .h2p (or how locking itself is implemented) so that it's more reliable?

Output volume should probably never be randomized, and if we could lock things like coarse tuning, glide, voice mode, accuracy/quality etc. 90% of the worse results could be eliminated.

Also, if it was a part of the plugin itself, the randomize % could be adjusted freely, and maybe there could be max/min % values that keeps parameters away from extreme positions.

IMO, no other feature would come close to allowing the largest number of users to get the most amount of satisfying sounds, uniquely suited to their personal taste, in the shortest possible time...

Synapse Audio's Genetics feature is also wonderful to experiment with (offering much greater control than Serum's Hybridize, and Hybridize favoring selected preset functions.)
GENETICS
With the Genetics function, new sounds can be created from 2-3 existing patches. In doing so, properties from these patches are pieced together randomly.
GENERATE
After selecting at least two patches in the patch window on the right, a new patch can be created using the GENERATE button. If the selected patches fit well together, usually only a few clicks on the GENERATE button are necessary to get a usable sound.
AMOUNT
The Genetics function can weight the selected patches differently. This is controlled by the
"Amount" knob. The higher the value, the more patches 2 and 3 are factored into the final sound. At the minimum value of 0%, patches 2 and 3 are not considered at all, and the first patch remains as is.
I agree. A randomization feature would be fine. The best randomization IMHO is within the software Vyzex of the windcontroller EWI4000s by Akai. You can morph between your favorite patches and get a collection of variations in sound.

Sounds like genetics

Smart Randomize and Genetics would be fantastic on all U-he synths, really. Such underappreciated features in a synth. Made 6 starting points quickly with the Dawesome synths randomize, and the genetics on DUNE really makes use of all my presets I don't use.
:borg: :borg: Furnace // Renoise // Ableton // Reaper :borg: :borg:

Is the Genetics function being discussed similar to Synplant 2's Genopatch?
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

sagetone wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:49 pm Is the Genetics function being discussed similar to Synplant 2's Genopatch?
It's from the Synapse Audio synths. You can select multiple existing presets you like, apply weighting to them, and hybridize the parameters creating unique presets which characteristics of the originals (more explanation in my previous posts.) Genopatch would be pretty cool too though. :tu:
QuietSheep wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:56 am Smart Randomize and Genetics would be fantastic on all U-he synths, really. Such underappreciated features in a synth. Made 6 starting points quickly with the Dawesome synths randomize, and the genetics on DUNE really makes use of all my presets I don't use.
100%. Genetics (hybridizing multiple existing presets), and smart randomize (i.e. Melda) would be killer for the whole product line, especially if built-into the patch browser which is already quite good.

Randomizer.h2p was a step in the right direction years ago (2008), but never really went any further and lacks control (you need to manually edit the preset file for the simplest thing like adjusting the %, and it ignores parameter locking.)

I have a feeling U-He just follows their own path without paying much attention to other developers, and it's hard to argue with the results, but after 5-10m with Genetics or Smart Randomize I think it would make perfect sense, and I'm sure they could put their own unique spin on it.

This is by far my most wished for feature all U-He synths.

I totally agree, this is also my most wished feature

Ok, now you got me interested in this randomization / genetics feature.

I've now looked into analyzing the u-he patch format and what type and range those parameters are. Maybe I can write some script that can do some more advanced randomization or "merging" based on an existing patch library. Sounds like an interesting weekend project!
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:37 pm Ok, now you got me interested in this randomization / genetics feature.

I've now looked into analyzing the u-he patch format and what type and range those parameters are. Maybe I can write some script that can do some more advanced randomization or "merging" based on an existing patch library. Sounds like an interesting weekend project!

This is interesting. Do you want to try this for Zebralette 3 or another U-he synth?

Return to “u-he”