What workhorse synth would you buy if you couldn't get Omnisphere?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jac459 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:53 pm
Man you HAVE to buy the v2 of Avenger. It is a new division on its own. Really a different game.
Maybe I will upgrade to VPS Avenger v2 on summer sales if the upgrade gets a 50% discount. So far they gave a 30% discount.

DarkS474 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:58 pm
Jermusic wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:38 pm Thanks! I'd like to check them out when they're released. When you say fighting style TPS, you mean 3rd person shooters with weapons meaning projectile based weapons or hand-to-hand combat beat-em ups with or without melee weapons, (like a 3D Final Fight or Streets of Rage) or both?
I aim to make it with some mechanics and features resembling a mix of games (with my own original characters and everything else) like Jump Force, DBZ Kakarot, NieR Automata, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade -- just to give an idea of the type of mechanics and TPS camera views (but I might add the ability to switch to FPS or not I have to check that later on). How much I will be able to achieve something like that I will know only when everything works as I would like to.
Both games are going to be full splatter anyway so adult only in most countries on Steam for sure.
Thanks! Send me a link when they're on Steam, I'll check them out!

swilow11 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:20 am Falcon is a rival to Omnisohere but is maybe too complex to use as a workhorse.
Falcon is not complex, just the interface is sh1te and overly complicated (made by a programmer instead of a UX designer).

If UVI would address the UX of Falcon, and design a proper logical UI and workflow where you know exactly what goes where and when, they would increase Falcon sales by at least 5x.

Instead they push the "too complex for peasants" narrative which is really dumb. Especially because Falcon is not complex at all, it just looks complex. Powerful yes, but not complex. Its just the same signal flow as everyone's: trigger (event) > source (OSC, sample) > modifier > effects. But its laid out in such a way its impossible to know which is where and how to change it. Needlessly stupid design.

A hardware rompler may be the way. You can find them cheap and something like a Korg triton or Tr rack is fantastic. To me Omnisphere is what I’d buy if I didn’t have a jd990. These are both expensive solutions. The only cheap way is to go with a rompler which may sound dated to you, or not.

There is nothing really like omisphere in software. Negatives are price and the fact that it takes up a ton of hard drive space.

Check the Tracktion site on Saturday morning.....there will be another option.
VST/AU Developer for Hire

Lerian wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:36 am
swilow11 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:20 am Falcon is a rival to Omnisohere but is maybe too complex to use as a workhorse.
Falcon is not complex, just the interface is sh1te and overly complicated (made by a programmer instead of a UX designer).

If UVI would address the UX of Falcon, and design a proper logical UI and workflow where you know exactly what goes where and when, they would increase Falcon sales by at least 5x.

Instead they push the "too complex for peasants" narrative which is really dumb. Especially because Falcon is not complex at all, it just looks complex. Powerful yes, but not complex. Its just the same signal flow as everyone's: trigger (event) > source (OSC, sample) > modifier > effects. But its laid out in such a way its impossible to know which is where and how to change it. Needlessly stupid design.
100% agree.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Thing is, if I had to start from scratch in rebuilding my ITB studio, knowing what I now know in the current market, I doubt that Spectrasonics would be on the drive.

BBFG# wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:04 pm Thing is, if I had to start from scratch in rebuilding my ITB studio, knowing what I now know in the current market, I doubt that Spectrasonics would be on the drive.
So, what is this knowing?
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:23 am
BBFG# wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:04 pm Thing is, if I had to start from scratch in rebuilding my ITB studio, knowing what I now know in the current market, I doubt that Spectrasonics would be on the drive.
So, what is this knowing?
Good question to ask yourself.
And, why are you not knowing?

For me it would be exactly the opposite. Even though I did purchase Omnispere 2 quite early on I didn't really use it actively until much later (around when Keyscape was announced). Right now in 2024 it's by far my most used synth (hardware included). I have it assigned under a single key press in Reaper and ready to go for immediate recording.

If I was starting fresh from the ground up, Omnisphere + Keyscape would probably be my first purchase. Then I'd complement that with specialty tools for specific synthesis techniques and add Reaktor on top for all the rest.

.. and then I'd slowly drift into my typical GAS cycle and eventually own pretty much everything. Again. :hihi:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Lind0n wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:12 pm Check the Tracktion site on Saturday morning.....there will be another option.
Will this be a product you worked on?

Lind0n wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:12 pm Check the Tracktion site on Saturday morning.....there will be another option.
oh is synthfactory dropping a rebranded horizen saturday?...fun
as from my post on the first page, quite crowded vertical now...not to mention what can be done with the freeware/donationware in this category
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

bmanic wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:04 pm
For me it would be exactly the opposite. Even though I did purchase Omnispere 2 quite early on I didn't really use it actively until much later (around when Keyscape was announced). Right now in 2024 it's by far my most used synth (hardware included). I have it assigned under a single key press in Reaper and ready to go for immediate recording.

If I was starting fresh from the ground up, Omnisphere + Keyscape would probably be my first purchase. Then I'd complement that with specialty tools for specific synthesis techniques and add Reaktor on top for all the rest.

.. and then I'd slowly drift into my typical GAS cycle and eventually own pretty much everything. Again. :hihi:
That's fair. Interestingly, I find Trilian to have more value than either of those. MWV.
Still, there's nothing I get from any of them that I don't get something more favorable to me from elsewhere. And without the negatives I associate with Spectrasonics.

Omnisphere is my most used synth. If I had to start over again it would be the first thing I would buy.

The sample library is probably the biggest bang for the buck you can buy, and then you get all the synth engines and effects

IvyBirds wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:50 am
Omnisphere is my most used synth. If I had to start over again it would be the first thing I would buy.

The sample library is probably the biggest bang for the buck you can buy, and then you get all the synth engines and effects
What genre of music are you doing if you don't mind me asking ?

Seems you need very complex/elaborated textures.... Are you in ambiant ?

Return to “Instruments”