Beginner/learner DAWless synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:15 pm Another one of those "list your favourite synth" threads coming soon.
I wouldn't say what I listed are my "favorites" by any means. If it were, I probably would have just listed the u-He freebies. I tried to stay free, cheap, current and simple for my suggestions. It seemed like an earnest question that deserved an earnest answer and so far, imo, others have responded that way also.

Ableton Drift

Pigments, wait for some sale, it is visual and versatile, easy to program and you can use it standalone
aliasing plugin owner
:?

martiu wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:51 pm Pigments, wait for some sale, it is visual and versatile, easy to program and you can use it standalone
Visually overwhelming. Vital would be a better choice (and free) but still too much.

Full bucket also makes free synths. Basically looking for basic subtractive synths I’d say. If paid, a Korg Polysix can be had on sale for $50.

If the school has an iPad I’d suggest that instead of a PC and Ableton. Cheaper. More interactive. Less expensive software that tends to be more accessible.

"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

swilow11 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:52 am I'm a librarian and we're setting up a little synth workstation in the library aiming at kids/teens. We've got a Novation midi keyboard, and Ableton Lite, but also wanting to get some kinda of beginner basic synth that can run in standalone. The simpler, the better. Something that works easily and hopefully provides some sort of visual feedback. Also ideally free or cheap. Please help!
Have you considered VCV?

Standalone.

The initial patch includes modules setup as a VA.

There’s hover-over tips for available parameters.

With the initial patch, it’s setup to use the computer keyboard for note input.

Would definitely be library appropriate (and budget friendly, as it is free).

https://vcvrack.com/

bmanic wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:10 pm FabFilter One?
Not standalone.

Ah crap, you are right.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

What is the goal of the standalone request ?

carrieres wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:35 pm What is the goal of the standalone request ?
I’m not the OP, but I’d assume less distractions with a focus on immediacy.

Opening any DAW can be daunting if there’s no experience and no guidance.

I would also assume the idea is someone could potentially do this independently. Double-click, open, play would be a great introduction.

U-he Podolski
FL Studio 21 - Waveform 12 | Surge - Variety of Sound

Nakst Apricot or/and Extra Bold are both fairly standard/straightforward and run as standalone applications and you could add Fluctus and Regency As well to teach different forms of synthesis

Thanks for the various suggestions, folks. Can't respond to all but will do some research today and see what can come up with.
elxsound wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:33 pm
carrieres wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:35 pm What is the goal of the standalone request ?
I’m not the OP, but I’d assume less distractions with a focus on immediacy.

Opening any DAW can be daunting if there’s no experience and no guidance.

I would also assume the idea is someone could potentially do this independently. Double-click, open, play would be a great introduction.
That's correct. The idea behind the workstation is for it to be self sufficient- kids (or anyone) can come to the library, sit down and start creating immediately. For those that want to go deeper, Ableton is a click away. But those who just want to make bloops and bleeps- just as easy. Imagine a 10 year old who's never used a synth or a DAW and has no one on hand to guide them.

lobanov wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:05 pm I think, Odin2 is extremely good for teaching purposes. Many algorithms (Subtractive, Additive, FM, PM, etc., it's possible even to draw wavetables and harmonics), simple, minimalistic controls, semimodular architecture.

For standalone, use savihost or NanoHost
Oops, I made a mistake. NanoHost loads VST2 only. Odin is VST3. Sorry.

Savihost has VST3.

Return to “Instruments”