Running commercial audio software on linux

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can of course replace a MixBox provided amp by removing it, and use qjackctl for routing that new Plexi in Amplitube 5, into Mixbox. Clams at high tide :hyper:

A5-Plexi-Mixbox.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This is windows Reaper in wine in AVLinux, as the IK T-Racks setups work in this scenario, which has nouveau video. Camel-Crusher (pre-Apple) acts as a boost pedal for an Orange TONEX amp, sent to the legendary Sunset Studio, then ambientified a bit by the free Solaris Reverb generously shared by Adam Szabo, who also coded the Viper synth that is Virus-like in many aspects.

CamelCrusher-TONEX-Sunset Studio-Solaris.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This is a favorite piano setup, linux Reaper with Kontakt and the Noire piano library, and the Replika diffusion ambience plugin, simple, elegant, and expressive. Sometimes just playing for a few minutes lessens the weight of the world on our shoulders...

Noire-Replika.jpg

I installed the linux PianoTeq demo, added some Solaris reverb, and subtle Circle Tremolo from Rakarrack, for another delightful piano setup. Spoilt for choices we be, if a real grand piano won't fit in the kitchen :wink:

PianoTeq-Solaris-rakarrack-trem.jpg

I noticed that recently in my current Linux, Tone2 plugin demos don't display appropriately and are unusable for that reason. The sounds are there and can be heard, but the UI is messed up. This is one of the problems with Linux and me. It sucks because I really love those Tone2 sounds.

I almost went back to Windows after that.

In comparison, all the U-he products (demos and freewares) work just fine.
I think Tone2 changed their demo EXE's is what caused the issue.

i ended up deleting them all off my system and keeping the U-he items instead.
It's okay because with u-He products and stuff like Vital, it's all good.

mjolnir wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:40 pm I noticed that recently in my current Linux, Tone2 plugin demos don't display appropriately and are unusable for that reason.
Maybe something that could be fixed with a different Wine prefix using the alternate DXVK files. That helped me to use the Audiority and latest Klanghelm plugins.

mjolnir wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:40 pm I noticed that recently in my current Linux, Tone2 plugin demos don't display appropriately and are unusable for that reason...

I think Tone2 changed their demo EXE's is what caused the issue.
Hi, Icarus V1.6 is free with Computer Music Magazine issue #329, and it's working fine in AVLinux, wine-staging 9.x with windows Reaper in wine, and also in the linux Reaper wrapped by yabridge, and both are running at the same time :hyper:

It's the full V1.6, and I think an upgrade discount to V2 is available.
Cheers

Icarus1-6-Reaper.jpg

hey guys, thanks for the help with the Tone2 / WINE stuff.
I have never used wineprefixes or bottles or playonlinux but I've been using wine/wine-devel/wine-staging in a variety of distros and configurations since about 2014. I'm still not very advanced but I'm kind of afraid of breaking my WINE. Last time I tinkered with one of my WINE's somehow I ended up with 2 or three installed at the same time and the system and I were both confused and couldn't function right.

But I get what you are saying about winetricks fixing the missing DLL's or putting the better ones in there.

One of my problems was that I had disabled 3D rendering in WINECFG. Turns out that it's really needed by some VST's. But nonetheless, I still had a few other problems. Some got fixed by hiding the wineversion from the OS / WinDOS items, and deselecting the wine-staging experimental options.

I may give it another try since you guys all kinda mentioned the same thing.

One nice thing is that my system stabilized after I got rid of some other items from other designers.
I'm only using one wine now, not like on the other distro.

The other thing that was wierd for a while was having my distro's Reaper installed at the same time as the AppImage Reaper.
The desktop system would mix them up with each other and I'd get two different edition of preferences for Reaper. OMG so frustrating having to maintain double REAPER prefs. But I got that sussed out finally. Actually, I had 3 sets if you include the Windows version via Wine LOL.

Overall, I'm happy with the tone2 demos and might actually purchase one of them if I can get the visuals to work fine.
Their sound quality and interface is awesome.

Last but not least, I wanted to let you guys know that lately, it seems like some of the previously instable Linux distros are getting more stable despite this being one of the worst years in history in terms of Linux / Windows / MacOS security/malware concerns.

I use all three kinds of computers from time to time. Sometimes at libraries too.

I distro hop a lot, and I went through about 8 different distros and other variations of DE until I settled on my current one. I don't think we ought to always reveal our OSes, though, because online lurkers could know too much how to mess us up if we give up too much system (audit-like) info. Some might say that's paranoid, but I've had hacker / security friends show me what they know about other people's distant systems remotely, and we're too much like sitting ducks if we reveal too much too them. So peace be with you guys and us all.

Thanks for being helpful.

On a different note,

I hope everybody has a much better summer and 2025.
It's much nicer when computers are used for peacetime activities like our musics.
Thanks for keeping up the tech tips and nice attitudes about our music technooies.

it's a really nice online place here and you guys are cool.
I will try to come back here more often and share tech help if anybody needs it too.
Thanks for being nice people.

May Peace Prevail On Earth In Our Lifetimes As It Does In Heaven
(War is NOT the Answer); MIR.

Well said! 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”