retrospective MIDI recording

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sQeetz wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:04 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:31 pm
I haven't tried it yet... anyone?
Works great... Loaded into an Instrument Channel, set Monitoring to ON and let it do its thing until needed.
Saved it as my default template :)

Of course it would be a lot nicer if it was integrated into Bitwig itself and mappable to a shortcut, but it works... for now
I've been using Midi Cap a lot since that post... I'm not convinced it would be better integrated into Bitwig. Or if it was, I would rather they made it a device like the plugin. I can put Midi Cap at any point in a device chain to record the output of any Note FX device. I can add two of them and simultaneously record my live playing and the output of my playing through the arpeggiator.

As a device, it is more flexible a tool than if Bitwig was only recording midi input in the background.

pdxindy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:28 pm ... I can put Midi Cap at any point in a device chain to record the output of any Note FX device. I can add two of them and simultaneously record my live playing and the output of my playing through the arpeggiator.

As a device, it is more flexible a tool than if Bitwig was only recording midi input in the background.
Nothing wrong with using plugins like that for special cases, but imho it´s not a replacement for the usual retrospective recording...because you have to insert it... you have to take action before it can work...

For me, retrospective record is all about "I don´t have to care"... I don´t have to press record, I don´t have to insert some plugin... I can just do whatever I want and the DAW cares about the rest and with a click of a button I have the printed result...
No device can replace that if there is no "global" midi or audio bus where I can put a device on as a template and it will recognize everything coming into the DAW no matter on which track.

Trancit wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:37 am No device can replace that if there is no "global" midi or audio bus where I can put a device on as a template and it will recognize everything coming into the DAW no matter on which track.
That's easy to set up... and save with your default template.

Trancit wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:37 am For me, retrospective record is all about "I don´t have to care"... I don´t have to press record, I don´t have to insert some plugin... I can just do whatever I want and the DAW cares about the rest and with a click of a button I have the printed result...
I have Midi Cap on a track in my default project. I have that track set to monitoring always on and input to all ins. It is always recording no matter what.

However, even with retrospective recording built-in, one rarely just pushes a button and there is the result. Ableton for example tries to guess what you want, but most of the time, some editing is needed.

With Midi Cap, I have the plugin timeline, and I grab the part I want and drag it into the track. That means just the notes I want are already there and no need to crop away the unwanted notes like in Live or Logic.

So, in practice, it is about the same in terms of steps needed to get the finished result.

pdxindy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:24 pm I have Midi Cap on a track in my default project. I have that track set to monitoring always on and input to all ins. It is always recording no matter what.
I have it now in the Master track. It can also monitor MIDI and the CLAP version passes audio through. Less clutter :)
With Midi Cap, I have the plugin timeline, and I grab the part I want and drag it into the track. That means just the notes I want are already there and no need to crop away the unwanted notes like in Live or Logic.
The only thing that bothers me a little, is that you cannot switch off MPE in Bitwig (would be nice if you could do it for specific plugins).
This leads to Midi Cap splitting single notes of a chord into separate channels. It's just a visual thing, though, since when dragging a portion of the timeline from Midi Cap to Bitwig merges everything into one channel anyway.

I've contacted the developer and he said that he plans for a combined view, but can't say when it will be released... that's something
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2…+…Push 2 driven by Moss……Softube.. everything

sQeetz wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:10 pm The only thing that bothers me a little, is that you cannot switch off MPE in Bitwig (would be nice if you could do it for specific plugins).
Yeah, Midi Cap has some flaws... my main point was I prefer this function as a configurable device, rather than how it's done in Logic and Live. It's more flexible cause it can record the output at any point in a device chain, plus I can record multiple outputs at the same time.

pdxindy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:24 pm I have Midi Cap on a track in my default project. I have that track set to monitoring always on and input to all ins. It is always recording no matter what.
Ok, that´s a point... I was thinking to complicated and imagined inserting Midi Cap always on the current track before playing around...

Return to “Bitwig”