Tipp: Make us of piano roll editor "view by channel" mode

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not a trained musician and are not able to spot chords and invesions and their "function" in a mode by milliseconds, when just staring at it.

I started using this approach:
1.) Each note of a chord will be assinged a different channel
2.) Tonic goes into channel 1.
3.) 2nd chord channel 2 and so forth.
4.) Up to 7th chord which goes into channel 7
5.) Then I switch into "view by channel" view mode of the piano roll editor and get different colors for all my chords.
6.) Now I arrange a chord progression by copy pasting the chords at the right place in the progression.
Even when I do inversions or add opt/bottom notes i can immediately see which chord this initially was.

7.) On top I often add a bass note on channel 8 and some top notes in the remaining channel.

This channel layout allows me to "see" wht the initial chord was. It gieves me visual clues. It does not replace any form of music theorie knowledge. It's just a tool to suppor you ...
Additionally I feed many track from a single chord track and by setting up channel filters in the note receivers I can quickly get the bass, the chords, the chord plus top notes...

Ceterum censeo - The piano roll editor needs some love by the devs. Even my tipp is only working around stuff. Please Bitwig!

P.S.: If this has not yet been youtubed yet by one of the usual suspects ... please do not. I'm not writing up stuff here that others create videos off. Thx.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun May 26, 2024 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

deleted

I use something similar in mIx view with clips.

Taches did this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmB0piSD9Ao

I've been using this approach to write SATB arrangements for choir. If you pair it with a channel filter it gives you an easy way to mute different parts.

Return to “Bitwig”