25GB Reason folder???

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:18 am Then it´s perhaps time to invest some time into learning the basics... 8)
I don't mean to be rude but that is certainly not "the basics" of whatever you mean, they don't exactly talk about junction points/hardlinks/symbolic links in the Reason manual. I didn't even notice the folder until I was clearing up the system drive, and it's generally not a good idea to muck around with moving/deleting massive folders when you don't know what their purpose is.

starflakeprj wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:25 am
Trancit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:18 am
BertKoor wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm
Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:16 pm I don´t understand why people let themselves being restricted by some companies...

Move the folders to any place you like, create hardlinks to the original location and done...
Isn´t so hard to do and once setup they stay there forever if you want so...
Because the OP admitted:
TW1306 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:09 pm I have to be honest, I am completely computer-illiterate
So there is a huge portion of users that find doing the steps you described far beyond their abilities.
Then it´s perhaps time to invest some time into learning the basics... 8)
Well, you can start by learning there is no hard links for directories, you will need to create a symbolic link 😁
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:30 am ...
And in turn, you can start by learning that he doesnt need to create a symbolic link for a folder, he can create a junction point instead. ;)
Call it whatever you want... for me it´s all hard links as I just use the hard link shell extension and do junctions for the folders I have moved...

I am for sure not a windows and link expert but even I have managed to download a little prog that does everything for me that I am not having to rely what any developer offers me but can move anything anywhere in a sec... :tu:

TW1306 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:37 pm
Trancit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:18 am Then it´s perhaps time to invest some time into learning the basics... 8)
I don't mean to be rude but that is certainly not "the basics" of whatever you mean, they don't exactly talk about junction points/hardlinks/symbolic links in the Reason manual. I didn't even notice the folder until I was clearing up the system drive, and it's generally not a good idea to muck around with moving/deleting massive folders when you don't know what their purpose is.
Sorry but for me it´s absolutely basics to know what to if something doesn´t work like I want it to...

There are in general 2 ways to deal with issues:
1. claiming for a solution from companies
2. trying to find a solution yourself...

The first method will rarely work as if there will be some change in future it doesn´t help you at all at the moment...

The second method for me is clearly much more logical...
When I see a problem with running out of space on one HD while having plenty on another, the immediate thoughts I would have is to move certain space hogs from one HD to the other...

Of course it´s logical too that if a programm thinks the folders and files are still in the old location I have to find a method to "show the new path" to the programm even if it isn´t possible to tell via any options in the programm itself...

From there on it´s perhaps 5-10 min of google (or whatever) searchs to find the topic of linking and how it works...

Too many companies ignoring any custom folder options... Steinberg, Reason Studios and a bunch of others...
If you don´t learn how to find little solutions yourself even if they are not mentioned in any manual I fear you will have a hard time using even nowadays computers...

I learned what I know the hard way in times where primary ram for every programm was limited to 640kb and I can tell you I fought very hard sometimes with the autoexec.bat and config.sys to free up enough space that some programms even considered starting...
Sometimes these battles took up some days just to find a config that the game or whatever it was even started...
I find nowadays whining of many people a bit overdriven if a company didn´t thought of every eventual problem and doesn´t do all of the work for you with their installers...
A little bit you should be able to do yourself...

Sorry for perhaps sounding harsh but I don´t know how to say it more gentle... :hug:

Trancit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:02 pm Call it whatever you want... for me it´s all hard links as I just use the hard link shell extension and do junctions for the folders I have moved...

I am for sure not a windows and link expert but even I have managed to download a little prog that does everything for me that I am not having to rely what any developer offers me but can move anything anywhere in a sec... :tu:
I was just teasing. :)

Link Shell Extension is my preferred tool as well...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:16 pm
TW1306 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:36 pm
Trensharo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:53 pm It's all the stock content that you installed. Its i stalled to the system drive and you can't change the default.

Akai MPC does the same.
Well, I've done some googling and other people suggest it's a 'cache' of sorts and can be deleted/moved, I've done that and Reason is still working just fine.
While I don´t understand why people let themselves being restricted by some companies...

Move the folders to any place you like, create hardlinks to the original location and done...
Isn´t so hard to do and once setup they stay there forever if you want so...
No. Some applications do not handle Directory Junctions properly.

If you try to junction off the MPC Content directory, it breaks the application until you delete the junction and move the content back.

The solution is not to ask users to hack in something that can reasonably be offered as a choice and written to a configuration file or registry entry on the user's machine.

Either offer as a choice during installation, or have a way to move it properly from within the application (i.e. Ableton Live).

And things like creating directory junctions are not "basics."

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:30 am No. Some applications do not handle Directory Junctions properly.

If you try to junction off the MPC Content directory, it breaks the application until you delete the junction and move the content back.
Sorry but I can hardly believe that... I didn´t have had ever a single application that didn´t work with that trick...
But even if 0.5% of applications do not work with junctions... that much space will be always available on the disk to leave these special ones there...
This is no argument for not doing the trick with the ones which do not have a problem like Reason...
The solution is not to ask users to hack in something that can reasonably be offered as a choice and written to a configuration file or registry entry on the user's machine.

Either offer as a choice during installation, or have a way to move it properly from within the application (i.e. Ableton Live).
And what do you do if they don´t offer that and will not offer that in the next ten years???
Endless whining and after all sitting there with the same problem instead of solving it yourself??
And things like creating directory junctions are not "basics."
Really??
Downloading and installing a little extension= basics
Cutting/pasting a folder to a new location= basics
Rightclicking a folder and execute a command (setting link source in this case (or whatever it is called in english))= basics
Going to the original location, rightclick and create a junction...
Come on... if somebody really isn´t able to do such simple tasks this person should stay away from Computers...
Last edited by Trancit on Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:50 pm
Trancit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:02 pm Call it whatever you want... for me it´s all hard links as I just use the hard link shell extension and do junctions for the folders I have moved...

I was just teasing. :)

Link Shell Extension is my preferred tool as well...
All good! :hug:

Trancit wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:36 am Come on... if somebody really isn´t able to do such simple tasks this person should stay away from Computers...
Elitist much? What's 'simple' to you is not obvious to every single other person, you cannot expect everyone to have the exact same level of knowledge as you. All I did was ask the purpose of a folder created by Reason and it's been dragged out into insulting my intelligence for not knowing things that aren't in fact 'basics'.

TW1306 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 am ...All I did was ask the purpose of a folder created by Reason ...
To me it sounded more that you are running out of space on your system drive and you looked for solutions... Moving the folder to a different drive and making a link/junction whatever is the only reachable solution apart from changing your system drive to something bigger...
...and it's been dragged out into insulting my intelligence for not knowing things that aren't in fact 'basics'.
My posts weren´t meant to insult you or your intelligence... my apologies if this came across like this (non native english speaker here)...

I meant more the urge of learning and knowing such stuff which are absolutely basics if you want to do happy computing in future...

I am still sorry but knowing how to free up disk space from one drive to another without breaking programms are in my opinion bread and butter stuff everybody needs to be aware of because many companies will continue to make such bullsh*t without worrying about the consequences for some users...
Steinberg is doing so since 2 decades and don´t show any intention to change this...nor do I think Reason will ever change this...
All what´s left is to know how to solve such little problems yourself...

Well done guys. Way to derail yet another kvr thread. Did the OP get an answer? I got bored with reading all the typical shite to find out 🤦‍♂️
Hopefully he did, cos it’s always good to learn.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Sorry but I can hardly believe that... I didn´t have had ever a single application that didn´t work with that trick...
Lots of people refuse to believe the truth, but it's demostrable here. I can try to junction off the MPC 2 Software Content Directory and then show you the software refusing to load until I delete the junction and move the content back to the original location.

I mean, it doesn't really get more believable than that.

But, you're free to believe otherwise simply because you hit a lottery in applications that don't break when you try to employ this workaround.

/wink /wink

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

I just stumbed upon this and it's a prime example of bad file management .
After a week of use , reason scratch folder was already 5gigs , while the recorded samples-audio are stored within the songfile itself .
So yes , it's perfetly safe to delete the scratchfolder but it amazes me that the content isn't deleted by itself it just fills up .
And it's not jut waveform dispay data , these are actually big files ...
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”