Waveform 13 clip launcher?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It sounds strangely like FL Studio's development run in reverse.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

UnionS8 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:21 am
pough wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:38 pm What's a clip launcher?
It's the way the DAW works with audio/MIDI clips. They are not stacked in a linear way as the usual DAWs do, but they are stored in some sort of a grid instead and you can launch them separately or in groups. It's the approach introduced in Ableton Live. Now many DAWs have introduced this sort of mechanism as an option. You can google it.
The clip system comes from the old MIDI sequencers and when MOD Audio Files began to be used on Mac, Atari, Sinclair and Amiga, they were chained audio loops. The most advanced I experienced was 4 tracks in 8 bits and about 11Khz. I managed to use Dr. T's software which was MIDI only. Ableton took this logic and perfected it.

1000db wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:53 pm Ffs. Just changed to tracktion from ableton to get rid of that useless clip view
Even in Live you don't need to use it. Just stay in Arrangement view.

In Waveform you can simply hide it using one of the controls along the side of the vertical mixer, just like all the other components which can be hidden there. Or simply keep the vertical mixer hidden and use the original horizontal one - either way.

Now that some of Ableton's patents have expired many of the major DAWs are starting to implement this feature (and many of the minor ones also): Logic and Digital Performer both have it, Ardour has a variation of it, and of course Bitwig Studio has had one from day one.

It is a great option to have on hand, but it is not for every project or every workflow, and you can simply ignore it when it is not needed.

Much prefer the term "clip view" to "clip launcher". Its just another way of recording your music. Record either midi or audio into clips of any length. Great for jamming. No need to use someone elses clips - record your own.

In the clip view,has anyone found a way to visually edit audio like you can in Live or Bitwig? If you click on a midi clip, midi data appears in the midi editor,but clicking on a recorded audio file just opens a dialogue at the bottom with no ability to view the wave visually.

1000db wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:53 pm Ffs. Just changed to tracktion from ableton to get rid of that useless clip view
Ffs sounds like disingenuous shite, noone gets Live without being fully aware that the clip view was its USP and core to its design and workflow.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I have answered my own question about visual wave editing in the clip view,so for anyone else who wishes to know.............

Make sure the action panel is open by clicking on the arrow in the left hand bottom corner - single click on the audio clip - a dialogue will open - click on "View Source Info" - the audio wave is there displayed visually. If you also click on "Edit Audio File" you can set an external audio editor of your choice if you so wish.

Return to “Tracktion”