DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.2)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

raveystabs wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:23 pm
moss wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:03 am Is display 1 enabled in the settings?
Yes, please see my setting attached and a picture of the mcu + extender.
I never had an original Mackie extender. My implementation basically uses the same code for all attached MCU devices. Therefore, it could be that the extender requires different commands. Since there is no official Mackie documentation available I cannot check.

Hi moss, I sniffed this out in Tracktion (which implements MCU + extender OK).

The following sysex writes a line of dots above first mixer strip, bottom segment:

F0 00 00 66 14 20 00 03 F7 <- Original
F0 00 00 66 15 20 00 03 F7 <- Extender

So the difference is the 14 changes to 15 for the extender.

Example writing "Hardwa" to 2nd channel strip, top segment:

F0 00 00 66 14 12 07 48 61 72 64 77 61 20 F7 <- Original
F0 00 00 66 15 12 07 48 61 72 64 77 61 20 F7 <- Extender

Hope that helps.

All physical controls are OK by the way, it's just the text on the screen on the extender.

Haven’t been using my Push 2 for awhile because the crashing issues were so bothersome, and I’ve been debating selling it and just getting a Launchpad or something without a screen to crash Bitwig. But before I do - can anyone confirm if Bitwig ever fixed the issue with crashes on MacOS using this extension due to bad graphics-drawing code in Bitwig itself?

AliveThrouDeath wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:59 pm Haven’t been using my Push 2 for awhile because the crashing issues were so bothersome, and I’ve been debating selling it and just getting a Launchpad or something without a screen to crash Bitwig. But before I do - can anyone confirm if Bitwig ever fixed the issue with crashes on MacOS using this extension due to bad graphics-drawing code in Bitwig itself?
Yes, it is fixed.

raveystabs wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm Hi moss, I sniffed this out in Tracktion (which implements MCU + extender OK).

The following sysex writes a line of dots above first mixer strip, bottom segment:

F0 00 00 66 14 20 00 03 F7 <- Original
F0 00 00 66 15 20 00 03 F7 <- Extender

So the difference is the 14 changes to 15 for the extender.

Example writing "Hardwa" to 2nd channel strip, top segment:

F0 00 00 66 14 12 07 48 61 72 64 77 61 20 F7 <- Original
F0 00 00 66 15 12 07 48 61 72 64 77 61 20 F7 <- Extender

Hope that helps.

All physical controls are OK by the way, it's just the text on the screen on the extender.
I sent you a PM.

Thanks for the manual in PDF form and of course the scripts!

Hello Moss,
I'm using iCon Platform Nano with DrivenByMoss is working fine.
and I have feature request.
Please add a "next/previous device pages" to F1~F5 assignable commands.
Thanks.
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

8.97 is online!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • Launchkey Mini Mk3
    • New: Display user pages when switching in user mode
    • Fixed: User mode mapping mapped to CC instead of user parameters.
  • MCU
    • New: IMPORTANT: The device MIDI ports are now ordered left to right, which means if your main device is to the right, it needs to be the last!
    • New: You can configure for each of your MCU devices if it should act like the main device (e.g. enable transport controls; you can have multiple) and has now the option to support the specific Mackie extender protocol.
  • OSC
    • New: The bank page size can be configured from 1-200.
  • Push 1/2
    • New: In Marker mode it can now choose to either Launch or only Select the marker when pressed.
    • New: Color settings are used in MIDI clip mode. Furthermore, always at least 4 rows are displayed.
Enjoy!

Just downloaded the newest version and I also tested with 3.2 Beta 2.

I noticed that with the Launchkey Mini MK3 and the Launchpad Mini MK3, when I am in Drum mode, I cannot select the sound/drum pad that I want to sequence anymore.

So basically I can only sequence C1.

Am I missing something here?

Just discovering your work here, Moss, and it's really amazing.

I'd really like to get an SL Mk3 for controlling Bitwig, but I have a couple of questions first.

1) While using the SL to control Bitwig, will the SL still forward MIDI messages that are routed through its Parts system to the designated outputs (e.g., DIN MIDI ports 1 and 2)? (Assuming that the SL's "Input Monitoring" is turned on.)

2) I use an Expert Sleepers USAMO (sample-accurate MIDI clock) to minimize jitter when clocking the hardware in my studio. (Bitwig is still the master -- it sends MIDI clock messages [clock, start/stop, and SPP] through my audio interface to the USAMO, and the USAMO converts that audio back to MIDI that I distribute to my hardware through its DIN output.) Would it be possible for me to clock the SL Mk3 with the USAMO's MIDI clock, while not having any clock, start/stop, or SPP messages sent between the SL Mk3 and Bitwig over USB -- and still control everything in Bitwig (besides transport, of course) with the SL Mk3? I would be happy to sacrifice the transport controls on the SL as long as I'm able to still switch between tracks, mute tracks, adjust device parameters, etc. while maintaining this jitter-free sync of Bitwig over my hardware.

Thanks!

tslays wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:55 pm Just downloaded the newest version and I also tested with 3.2 Beta 2.

I noticed that with the Launchkey Mini MK3 and the Launchpad Mini MK3, when I am in Drum mode, I cannot select the sound/drum pad that I want to sequence anymore.

So basically I can only sequence C1.

Am I missing something here?
I can reproduce that. Need to check what is wrong.

autopoiesis wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:04 am 1) While using the SL to control Bitwig, will the SL still forward MIDI messages that are routed through its Parts system to the designated outputs (e.g., DIN MIDI ports 1 and 2)? (Assuming that the SL's "Input Monitoring" is turned on.)

2) I use an Expert Sleepers USAMO (sample-accurate MIDI clock) to minimize jitter when clocking the hardware in my studio. (Bitwig is still the master -- it sends MIDI clock messages [clock, start/stop, and SPP] through my audio interface to the USAMO, and the USAMO converts that audio back to MIDI that I distribute to my hardware through its DIN output.) Would it be possible for me to clock the SL Mk3 with the USAMO's MIDI clock, while not having any clock, start/stop, or SPP messages sent between the SL Mk3 and Bitwig over USB -- and still control everything in Bitwig (besides transport, of course) with the SL Mk3? I would be happy to sacrifice the transport controls on the SL as long as I'm able to still switch between tracks, mute tracks, adjust device parameters, etc. while maintaining this jitter-free sync of Bitwig over my hardware.
I scratched the surface a bit on what is possible in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN0KmxiLcRE

I think the answer is yes to all 3 questions but I have not tested it and it requires some experimentation on your side. This device is way too powerful :-)

Well that's very promising to hear.

Hi Juergen,

I'm stuck on Bitwig installation of OSC. (OSX High Sierra Bitwig 8-track 3.1 - DrivenByMoss8.97)

I copied the extension -> went to Settings -> chose OSC as controller -> then, when attempting to assign output to virtual midi controller, Bitwig pops up a message :
OSC did something wrong
Parameter port (=0) must be in the range 1024 to 65535
(option buttons to disable or restart)

disabling is not useful, restarting merely regenerates the error (inevitably)

and the Show settings for this device gear icon, doesn't work, IE isn't responsive/reactive/enabled (stays dimmed yellow/orange when clicking, doesn't do anything at all in response except hint on hover)

any advice?

Thanks

QBWarmDays wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:32 pm Hi Juergen,

I'm stuck on Bitwig installation of OSC. (OSX High Sierra Bitwig 8-track 3.1 - DrivenByMoss8.97)

I copied the extension -> went to Settings -> chose OSC as controller -> then, when attempting to assign output to virtual midi controller, Bitwig pops up a message :
OSC did something wrong
Parameter port (=0) must be in the range 1024 to 65535
(option buttons to disable or restart)

disabling is not useful, restarting merely regenerates the error (inevitably)

and the Show settings for this device gear icon, doesn't work, IE isn't responsive/reactive/enabled (stays dimmed yellow/orange when clicking, doesn't do anything at all in response except hint on hover)

any advice?

Thanks
This is a bug in Bitwig, which got finally fixed in 3.1.3.

Return to “Controller Scripting”