The Hive Hexagon Thread

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Dunno but Spire has SawPWM...

All wave forms can be pulse modulated, but it struck me this morning that Hives oscillators COULD be single cycle waves files. That would explain a lot. :)

Since they are basic shapes I think it would be nice if they could at least sweep from triangle through saw but that might be more development then Urs wants to put into it. Everything you do is going to add cpu cycles and file space sooo....

Dasheesh wrote:All wave forms can be pulse modulated, but it struck me this morning that Hives oscillators COULD be single cycle waves files. That would explain a lot. :)
Why would they be wave (audio?) files?

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soarer wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:All wave forms can be pulse modulated, but it struck me this morning that Hives oscillators COULD be single cycle waves files. That would explain a lot. :)
Why would they be wave (audio?) files?

Just so you know, I'm guessing Spire does the same because they allow their preset designers to import custom samples. I have never bought a preset in my life, but they advertise new samples with their preset packs.

I just had an epiphany, synthmaster allows for single cycle sample import that I make good use of. What if Hive allowed import of user single cycle waves?

Thanks for the info. That was surprising!
I thought using samples was a bad idea since I think Hive and Spire sounds better than Omnisphere 2 but that must be a synth engine thing then.

Soarer wrote:Thanks for the info. That was surprising!
I thought using samples was a bad idea since I think Hive and Spire sounds better than Omnisphere 2 but that must be a synth engine thing then.

Well don't quote me as fact yet. I am just taking a guess because they do advertise new samples with their preset packs.

Dasheesh wrote: Just so you know, I'm guessing Spire does the same because they allow their preset designers to import custom samples. I have never bought a preset in my life, but they advertise new samples with their preset packs.
For what I know, they sell the samples in addition to the presets. The samples are indtended to be loaded into a third party sampler, not into Spire (never bought any of these packs either, but this seems to be self-edivent from their descriptions). There was never any info about any sample loading or conversion tool for Spire.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: For what I know, they sell the samples in addition to the presets. The samples are indtended to be loaded into a third party sampler, not into Spire (never bought any of these packs either, but this seems to be self-edivent from their descriptions). There was never any info about any sample loading or conversion tool for Spire.

Ah, they said they wanted to implement user wave import a while back and I just assumed that what they did was limit wave importing to preset designers.

I'm curious if others have found Hive to be a good compliment to Zebra. I like sound design and Hive seems to be an easy synth to use. The Poly and Bass patches are amazing to my ear, and the Drum patches are solid as well.

I did check out this Hive Hexagon thread and did not find this specific question discussed. I will say that the Intro to Hive videos outline some impressive features that make the workflow super simple. Not sure I can go wrong with a Zebra/Hive combination :D

As a Zebra user, what synth would you buy next? Appreciate any input on this decision!

Zebra covers a lot of ground, everything except samples really. So you don't really "need" anything else, except for maybe something sample based if you want to go down that road.

Hive is fine synth though, there's nothing wrong with getting it "just for fun."
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

aumordia wrote:Zebra covers a lot of ground, everything except samples really. So you don't really "need" anything else, except for maybe something sample based if you want to go down that road.

Hive is fine synth though, there's nothing wrong with getting it "just for fun."
Thanks aumordia for your feedback. Fun is what it is all about for me so yes.

As I'm playing around with the Hive demo I kinda feel like it could help me with Zebra. I tend to start with a module and build out patches. Hive feels like a more defined set of tools and I've never created a defined synth configuration in Zebra and then started patching. So it might give me a different way to think about creating sounds. That and maybe recreating Hive patches in Zebra although that would likely not get me as far since Zebra has so much to work with.

As usual I'm over thinking it and just focusing on it being a fun synth is probably an easier way to decide. Thank you for commenting.

The whole is always greater than the sum of the parts and "fun" is key. If you're grooving with Hive and you've got cash to burn I'd say go for it.

This sort of synthesis is underestimated for its capabilities. For instance, you can make a quite nice bell sound without any FM at all. Start with a sine wave, then layer in another sine wave up 2 octaves with lots of unison and HEAVY detune. Experiment with different waveforms and intervals, maybe working in the sub osc's as well. You can get some really interesting bell sounds this way that you might normally think would require FM, AM, or additive synthesis.

Enjoy!
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

Return to “u-he”