What drives you crazy in Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been away from Bitwig for several weeks and coming back (mostly from S1 and Live) I find annoying that:
  • double clicking a header of MIDI clip 9/10 times I don't get showed all the notes, sometimes even none, so I have to navigate & zoom to where they are
  • I really hate the visual design of "big" height tracks (especially the track headers) and so the fact that I can't collapse most of them to "small" size and only have the ones I'm working on "big" is maddening
  • I tried to employ a more keyboard-driven workflow, but Bitwig loses plot there all the time - say I want to zoom in horizontally, I've no idea what is the center it zooms around? it's not selected clip, it's not the playhead, it's not mouse cursor... similarly when using the new track height shortcuts the screen doesn't zoom around currently selected track so it quickly gets out of sight... there's no many quirks with simple navigation;
  • even the recently introduces shortcuts for resizing tracks vertically are a half-step... I can zoom around MIDI editor vertically with Ctrl+Alt+MW, but I can't use that same gesture for track height
  • Bitwig gives away keyboard focus to plugins much more often than other DAWs do I think, so looking for a preset without MIDI controller attached becomes a test of patience sometimes...
@Bitwig, please spend the 4.x version on ironing out such QoL issues.
Last edited by antic604 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

already mentionned but this viewtopic.php?f=259&t=563630&p=8220569#p8220569
I tried a demo version of Ableton, and this is correctly implemented, clips on the APC are synced with clips on the laptop screen !

HI can you please clarify this?
antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:58 am
  • Bitwig gives away keyboard focus to plugins much more often than other DAWs do I think, so looking for a preset without MIDI controller attached becomes a test of patience sometimes...

melodyz wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:50 pm HI can you please clarify this?
antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:58 am
Like 90% of the time I just use the QWERTY keyboard to try out sounds and many - most, I'd say - VSTs block access to keyboard, so I have to click on the VST to change the preset, then click somewhere in Bitwig to be able to play a sound.

That doesn't happen as much in other DAWs, so I suspect it's something in how it handles plugins.
Music tech enthusiast

yes thanks I have the same issues. Dune 3, and uhe products. I did try deleting the startup template I was using and making a new one from scratch. It seemed to help on the uhe stuff.

The constant denial of reality by the Bitwig team and the prominent users.

absence of a minimal roadmap no need dates just feature plans (we're working on ... going to work on ... )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

The fact that it's just so freaking awesome.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:05 pm The fact that it's just so freaking awesome.
...but still not perfect ;)
Music tech enthusiast

Just came here to complain about the default behavior of dragging the horizontal scroll bar can also affects the zoom unless you hold down the CTRL key. This blasted "feature" has annoyed me more than anything I've ever seen with any DAW. Still not sure why this is a thing and there's no option to reverse it or turn it off, that I know of.

antic604 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:55 pm ...but still not perfect ;)
No such thing ;)

DanBailiff wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:55 pm Just came here to complain about the default behavior of dragging the horizontal scroll bar can also affects the zoom unless you hold down the CTRL key. This blasted "feature" has annoyed me more than anything I've ever seen with any DAW. Still not sure why this is a thing and there's no option to reverse it or turn it off, that I know of.
Sorry, but who uses the beat bar to move around the project?

If you have a mouse, Alt+MW does that.

If you have a touchpad, 2-fingers swipe left/right does that.

And those are universal - work in piano roll, devices panel, mixer, etc.

Stop wasting time :)
Music tech enthusiast

The UI to me feels very clunky compared to FL which is the DAW I'm trying to move from:

- I would suggest a little bit more fluidity in the UI. There's a delay when clicking on a sample in the browser until we hear it and most mouse actions have a discernible lag. You can feel a lag when adding notes, moving faders/knobs, doing pretty much anything. If you haven't used FL before, give the trial a shot and see what I mean.

- There isn't a decent discernible differentiation between the borders of a midi/audio clip for example and the background of the arrangement window. Same with notes and the piano roll. This makes the UI look very unnatural. I'd say the most unnatural look out of all DAWs even if it looks 'nice' at first glance.

- The two window browser is driving me crazy. No really.

- A better visual way of identifying tracks in the arrangement as this little color identifier on the header makes it hard to identify tracks when the project becomes busy.

- The ability that we can't change to a darker theme is also off-putting to me.

- Can't scale less than 100%. At HD feels a bit large to me. I need more space as things get messy when the project becomes bigger.

Basically the whole UI is driving me crazy. Can't get used to it. This is the reason why I haven't moved yet.

Dan_CF wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:59 pm The UI to me feels very clunky compared to FL which is the DAW I'm trying to move from:
- I would suggest a little bit more fluidity in the UI. There's a delay when clicking on a sample in the browser until we hear it and most mouse actions have a discernible lag. You can feel a lag when adding notes, moving faders/knobs, doing pretty much anything. If you haven't used FL before, give the trial a shot and see what I mean.
This drives me insane. Bitwig gets so many things right regarding workflow, but the sample browser is so clunky. All the little delays and brief interruptions in audio as I'm previewing/cycling through different samples makes me pause the track because it's so maddening.

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:58 am I've been away from Bitwig for several weeks and coming back (mostly from S1 and Live) I find annoying that:
  • double clicking a header of MIDI clip 9/10 times I don't get showed all the notes, sometimes even none, so I have to navigate & zoom to where they are
  • I really hate the visual design of "big" height tracks (especially the track headers) and so the fact that I can't collapse most of them to "small" size and only have the ones I'm working on "big" is maddening
  • I tried to employ a more keyboard-driven workflow, but Bitwig loses plot there all the time - say I want to zoom in horizontally, I've no idea what is the center it zooms around? it's not selected clip, it's not the playhead, it's not mouse cursor... similarly when using the new track height shortcuts the screen doesn't zoom around currently selected track so it quickly gets out of sight... there's no many quirks with simple navigation;
  • even the recently introduces shortcuts for resizing tracks vertically are a half-step... I can zoom around MIDI editor vertically with Ctrl+Alt+MW, but I can't use that same gesture for track height
@Bitwig, please spend the 4.x version on ironing out such QoL issues.
Can’t disagree with any of this.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Return to “Bitwig”