Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rectus_dominus wrote:http://www.thesmallisbeautiful.com/uplo ... 770372.gif
Berlin Modular will be like this?
like it in what way? made as hardware?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Whyterabbit: unless you're just being a smartass, I'm pretty sure he was talking about modulars where you can create new modules and move them around, like karmafx (as was another one of his examples), to which the answer would be no.

Mighty Pea wrote:Whyterabbit: unless you're just being a smartass, I'm pretty sure he was talking about modulars where you can create new modules and move them around, like karmafx (as was another one of his examples), to which the answer would be no.
ah, i see. thanks; it wasnt clear to me what he meant.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Mighty Pea wrote:Whyterabbit: unless you're just being a smartass, I'm pretty sure he was talking about modulars where you can create new modules and move them around, like karmafx (as was another one of his examples), to which the answer would be no.
I don't think he was being a smartass. I think he's a little confused because Zebra is modular, and you can move the modules anywhere on a grid.
IMO, better than either of those synths mentioned.
I've only used Karma, but have heard many sound clips, of the Nord.
The question is kinda redundant, really.
Bazille and Ace are also modular.
Why would U-he want to make a synth like something else that already exists.
Where's the originality in that?

I was thinking about a modular system like that in U-he quality would rock. More digitality, and a bit more freedom in module handing. (As much as I want, wherever I want)
But never mind, I managed to make a thread off-topic again :P

rectus_dominus wrote:I was thinking about a modular system like that in U-he quality would rock. More digitality, and a bit more freedom in module handing. (As much as I want, wherever I want)
But never mind, I managed to make a thread off-topic again :P
Well, my engine doesn't lend itself towards dynamic module creation. The exact number of modules must be known at start time in order to optimise the memory layout. This is an integral part of the cpu optimisation. Hence I have never thought about a "digital modular" approach as I call it. I'm rather interested in "analogue modulars" which have a set number of modules mounted in a rack. That's easier for me to handle.

I have also never liked working with any of the environments that require one to drag stuff around the screen. While the possibilities are fascinating I think that a mouse operated environment is easier to handle with fixed positions or clear layouts. It may become more interesting with the advent of large touchscreens with multiple sensor points.

I see your point, thanks! Personally, I am really fascinated by Scope,Karmafx, and Nord modular systems. The advantages of digitalness has more weight in my opinion than it's disadvantages.

It 'may' become more interesting when the haptic technology will be integrated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZq3bCGlrjA

Imagine that you can touch and turn your million knobs like you'd do in real life. No need to buy tons of controllers, and no need of mapping. :P

EDIT: AAA, just noticed, the guy is called "Ramstein", one of my favourite bands :D

Will ACE & Bazille be able to do things that Zebra cant do? Do they run on an improved sound engine as they're newer? Do they sound better or can you get different sounds from them?

I know asking whether something sounds better than x is subjective but the question has come about as currently the only soft synth I use is Zebra, and as a fan of U-he products I am considering purchasing ACE or Bazille when they come out....

grandmasterbird wrote:Will ACE & Bazille be able to do things that Zebra cant do? Do they run on an improved sound engine as they're newer? Do they sound better or can you get different sounds from them?
Yes and no.

Zebra has a much wider palette of sounds than any of the new ones. There are however sounds that Zebra can't reproduce, which are often based on extremely fast modulations.

ACE and Bazille on the other hand may be rather constrained in possibilities (compared to Zebra, that is) but they may draw some attention because they excell especially in the category of extremely fast modulations. These fast modulations are bought by an enormous hunger for cpu load.

So well, you'll have to see yourself. What speaks for Zebra is always its flexibility and sound quality for relatively low cpu usage. ACE and Bazille on the other hand deliver raw and uncompromised fun, but you can't even play a chord sometimes...

Cheers,

;) Urs

Ok, thanks for your reply.

You're right, I guess the thing to do is to see for myself so when I get a faster machine I'll have to try the demo's- by the sound of it I dont think my current machine will take it!! :wink:

Good on you for pushing forward with this project, I look forward to playing with the end results!

Also, I've slapped another couple of presets into a little demo:

http://www.u-he.com/music/WetExperience.mp3

This one is full of crazy modulations :)

Urs wrote:Also, I've slapped another couple of presets into a little demo:

Nice :) Reminded me Neu.

Excellent! Is that ACE?

grandmasterbird wrote:

Excellent! Is that ACE?
Yes, all of it. 14 instances and the mandatory limiter on the master channel.

100% free of Supersaw. Instead it has:

- exceptional sync /w FM (VCO1->VCO2, think Virus)
- LFOs that can be used as additional VCOs an vice versa
- exceptional filter sound including convincing self oscillation
dammit, I'm going to end up buying this :x

Return to “u-he”