Future of Synthesizers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:22 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:17 pm its not so much what they use, but what they do with it, techniques and such.
if you dont know who they are though, very little point trying to explain. as id need to reference their work, which you dont know.
Sure, but if playing style is the innovation, that has little to do with this topic, which I think refers to technical synthesis innovation.
but the playing style inspires new tech or pushes old tech to new places.
innovation doesnt just occur!
there are many reasons for gradual or sudden jumps, sometimes curiosity sometimes necessity...

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:25 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:22 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:17 pm its not so much what they use, but what they do with it, techniques and such.
if you dont know who they are though, very little point trying to explain. as id need to reference their work, which you dont know.
Sure, but if playing style is the innovation, that has little to do with this topic, which I think refers to technical synthesis innovation.
but the playing style inspires new tech or pushes old tech to new places.
innovation doesnt just occur!
there are many reasons for gradual or sudden jumps, sometimes curiosity sometimes necessity...
In the general economy it is often merely fierce competition and greed for money and market share that drive innovation.
I am not sure it is much different in the music industry. Would Roland develop something new just because a musician has a wish?

PS: Good to see you can actually contribute to a normal conversation :clap:
Last edited by e-crooner on Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:14 am That is interesting, I googled ganbreeder and spent some time at https://artbreeder.com/ . It is, a kind of new picture fx, and at the same time it was underwhelming!
the more interesting and relevant part of artbreeder is the abstract section, which synthesizes 10-15 different types of images to create something never before seen. Like i said, you haven't much time with the tool...

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:28 pm PS: Good to see you can actually contribute to a normal conversation.

https://youtu.be/LoBTxhoo19s

8)

maybe roland wouldnt at the outset.
but another example from the guitar world...

a distortion pedal "the timmy", did something special, many many guitarists loved it.
it was a single bloke in his shed, couldnt keep up with demand, second hand market for them doubled the price. ie there was demand and yes, lots of wishing.

up step dunlop, with their manufacturing capacity, and partner with the guy to meet demand at the more reasonable price again, so everyone is happy.

if a company sees demand for such a product, its an oppurtunity.

vr plug ins :o

you can be iinside the vr world with a wall of modular using reaktor or vcv, with full haptix sensors for tweaking knobs and plugging cables.

in the hw world - cup holders
and behringer will release a fiesta red (not pink) td3.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:44 pm
rj0 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:42 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:00 pm but i want oscillators and filtrrs modulated by my blood :D
I want thought control, so that when I think a sound, the synth just up and creates it. :ud:

no jizz powered modulation?
seems odd.
But, of course, definitely some jizz powered modulation! :D

rj0 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:15 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:44 pm
rj0 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:42 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:00 pm but i want oscillators and filtrrs modulated by my blood :D
I want thought control, so that when I think a sound, the synth just up and creates it. :ud:

no jizz powered modulation?
seems odd.
But, of course, definitely some jizz powered modulation! :D
dna specific sounds.
could be an exchange plan

"does anyone get a square wave? i only get a saw, or if i use blood its a triangle"

What if you increase the pulse width?

Forgotten wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:27 pm What if you increase the pulse width?
Pulse width modulation sounds like a fancy synonym for cut-based suicide 8)

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:20 pm
dna specific sounds.
could be an exchange plan

"does anyone get a square wave? i only get a saw, or if i use blood its a triangle"
I went to a warehouse party in Newcastle back in the 90's. zoviet*france were playing live (awesome gig) and there was this guy called Surgeon using some needles and tubes to do a blood transfusion between him and a dead fish. It was all a bit surreal ...

sturgeon? the fish i mean.
zf are cool :band:

vurt wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:54 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:47 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:15 pm So progress ended in the 70s? Just look at the musical changes in the 20th century ... there is no reason to believe the 21st century wont be just as inventive. Early days yet ...
Many of those changes were due to the electrification of acoustic instruments. That kind of innovation is probably over and done with.
im sure plenty of guitarists would argue against the idea that electrifying the instrument was the end of innovation.
tom morello is quite mainstream and did new things (ok90s) since then matt bellamy and ed obrian spring to mind as pushing guitar boundaries in more recent years.
then a current fave noveller.

thats just off the top of my head choosing names you probably know.
http://www.visionaryinstruments.com/
a very good friend of mine is a partner in this company (hes in the pic on the right), I worked with him a the first music store I worked at. He is the best luthier I have ever met, great jazz player and in fact he invited me to a phish concert last year in bangor. In fact one day on fb he honored me. I left that store to go work at mars music, after I had been there close to a year I guess we needed a new guitar tech at mars. Ben was trying to start his own business fixing guitars, I called him and introduced him to my boss at mars. He's very good, he did well there

He credited me for getting him started in the business, I haven't seen him in years but I learned a lot from him. I gotta say, I bet if asked he might have a word or two to say on the end of innovations with guitars :lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

every couple of years someone posts a thread like this. i always have the same answer. forget what you know, and prepare to give up your ego. 30 years ago home computing didn't exist. 30 years from now you will think it and it will be broadcast over the virtual world. kids will subscribe and pay a penny a pop for your thoughts literally. no hands needed. AI will compose your thoughts for you. your fame will be your credit "payments".

Return to “Instruments”