zebra2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Urs!
thanx for the useful infos..

infact the most cpu consuming things from my tests are properly the oscillators...i hope something will be done to improve a them...
thanx
lalo

Urs wrote:Hey lalo,

there are some things that might take up more cpu than they should. I.e. some modules don't go into standby mode if there's nothing to do and thus might even suffer from denormalization. Candidates are RingModulator, Shapers and even some filter types.

Regrading SSE/Altivec, there's not much that could benefit. For instance, the filters are faster now *without* SSE/Altivec than their counterparts in Zebra1.5 which use Altivec. It's generally easier to parallelize software with a static layout (i.e. if one can calculate multiple identical modules at once), but this can hardly be done in Zebra where everything has to work in arbitrary order. Another obstacle is, the power of SIMD can only be unleashed on 32-bit audio data (single precision floating point). Now, most modules in Z2 require 64-bit precision...

The one thing that benefits from Altivec big time on the Mac are the oscillators, due to MacOS X' very fast FFT implementation. I'm gonna check out if buying the corresponding Intel libraries will give us a speed bump, but I want to wait and see if there's a chance to buy them for both Win and the new Intel Macs.

However, here are some tips that might help to make individual patches faster:

- mute unused Grid channels (red square between Grid and corresponding mixer)
- lower "Resolution" for oscillators in corresponding "more OSCx" tabs if possible
- avoid "LP Vintage" and "LP Vintage2" filter modes if possible, these are expensive analog simulations
- use one Osc in "dual" or "quad" mode rather than 2 or more Oscs in "single", if possible
- use shorter Release times on VCA envelopes (but don't set them to 0 or you might get clicks)
- use "few" voices or even switch to "legato" or "retrigger" voicing modes

Cheers,

;) Urs

Yep, oscillators are the best chance to improve speed.

Have you tried to turn down their Resolution parameter?

Cheers,

;) Urs

Urs wrote:Yep, oscillators are the best chance to improve speed.

Have you tried to turn down their Resolution parameter?

Cheers,

;) Urs
hi urs..

i can't find the resolution parameter...where is it?

Go to the more OSC1 tab on the bottom, it's on the right then.

...as I'm back to 24/7 coding.... (Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:36 am)

how is it getting along?
can we expect an update?

pieck101

pieck101 wrote:...as I'm back to 24/7 coding.... (Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:36 am)

how is it getting along?
can we expect an update?
So and so... I think I've fixed the missing side chains in the Grids and I've just implemented a global swing thing which works nicely but brings up other problems (MSEGs...). Thus there's always more to fix than expected :x

However, if nothing serious happens, the beta team will get a new version with most of the weirder bugs - hopefully - fixed tomorrow.

Then it's all about adding some little things that were requested (Modulation Mixer, Waveform presets...), testing these, fixing the cosmetic bugs etc.

I don't want to give any estimates. Some of the requested features will have to wait for a free .x update, because it won't be finished in this life otherwise ;)

Cheers,

;) Urs

Urs wrote:
pieck101 wrote:...as I'm back to 24/7 coding.... (Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:36 am)

how is it getting along?
can we expect an update?
So and so... I think I've fixed the missing side chains in the Grids and I've just implemented a global swing thing which works nicely but brings up other problems (MSEGs...). Thus there's always more to fix than expected :x

However, if nothing serious happens, the beta team will get a new version with most of the weirder bugs - hopefully - fixed tomorrow.

Then it's all about adding some little things that were requested (Modulation Mixer, Waveform presets...), testing these, fixing the cosmetic bugs etc.

I don't want to give any estimates. Some of the requested features will have to wait for a free .x update, because it won't be finished in this life otherwise ;)

Cheers,

;) Urs

Cool stuff -- thanks for the update, Urs.

urs, don't kill yourself just to serve us ! the zebra2 thingie is great as it is and we appreciate it. and hey, it is always nice as a customer to get a free upgrade from time to time with new gimmicks ... and some new presets as well ... :-)

Urs, I am probably switching to Intel iMac in the near future, any idea of a universal binary?

Tx.
AB

Sorry, already answered in another thread.....duh!

anti-banausic wrote:Urs, I am probably switching to Intel iMac in the near future, any idea of a universal binary?
Will come as soon as my MacBook arrives. But I suspect that my dealer of choice is the last one on Apple's priority list...

;) Urs

Z2

not very exciting...but i promise i will do a decent demo very soon. No idea how it works yet, but the presets ive just started going thru are awesome 8) 8) 8)

Nice one! Thanks!

;) Urs

Its not great, i was just avin fun with some sounds, but i'll do a big old demo soon, just for you (now it stays in tune :hihi: )

Urs wrote:
anti-banausic wrote:Urs, I am probably switching to Intel iMac in the near future, any idea of a universal binary?
Will come as soon as my MacBook arrives. But I suspect that my dealer of choice is the last one on Apple's priority list...

;) Urs
you're gonna LOVE your MacBook... it's SOOOOOOOO fast....

Logic just purrs... screenset switching is faster than on my Dual 2.5 G5!

(as does Live)

let us know when you need IntelMac betatesters!

Don't make me lust for that MacBook even more, Kenn!
Can't await the moment to finally run an up to date Logic version again!
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Return to “u-he”